Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR(M) - UKVCAS Appointment - can I attend with my wife  (Read 1913 times)

• Liked: 1
FLR(M) - UKVCAS Appointment - can I attend with my wife
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »
I am a British citizen. My American wife’s initial leave to remain in the UK as my spouse was awarded in January 2017 (she transferred from Tier 4) and it expires on 28 July 2019.

We’ve submitted the online application from within the UK for an extension of her leave to remain (FLR(M)) and we’ve booked a UKCVAS appointment (it will be on Monday).

We haven't experienced the new UKVCAS service before. We'll be attending our appointment at the Premium Lounge Service Point in London. I'd like to attend her appointment with her (and she wants me there!).

Last time we applied for an extension of her leave to remain, I was permitted to attend the appointment with her. However, that was before UKVCAS took over.

I know that for "group applications" (where there is more than one person applying for leave to remain) each person in the group has their own QR code and they all attend together. I'm not applying for leave to remain though as I'm a citizen! I also understand applicants can take a legal representative if required.

I can't find anything on the UKVCAS website that sets out their policy on whether an applicant can bring someone else with them (particularly their partner/sponsor).

Could anyone confirm whether I'll be turned away at the door or whether I'd be able to attend the appointment with my wife, please?

Cheers!

• Liked: 1327
Re: FLR(M) - UKVCAS Appointment - can I attend with my wife
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »
Under the old system, they expected the sponsoring spouse/partner to be there for premium appointments.  I do not know much about the new system.  But for the money, I would expect them to fall all over themselves trying to cater to your preferences.  ;)  I mean, they won't.  That's obviously not how it works.  But that's what I'd expect.  Anyway, the answer is we don't really know.  I know some people have taken their spouse along and it's fine, and others have had their partners told to wait outside.  *shrug*  It depends on the centre, I think.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »
But for the money, I would expect them to fall all over themselves trying to cater to your preferences.  ;)  I mean, they won't.  That's obviously not how it works.  But that's what I'd expect.

Tell me about it! We opted for the premium lounge to get an earlier appointment as we've booked leave and want to get this out of the way ASAP (or at least have time to reapply from within the UK before my wife's visa runs out if UKVI isn't satisfied with the application details and evidence provided for whatever reason).

• Liked: 26
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 05:04:39 PM »
Hiya,

When my D-I-L attended her FLR appointment in Manchester (US citizen) back in April they showed no interest in my son being there.

When they called her name she went through to have photo & biometrics done and he was left there twiddling his thumbs!!

Waited there on his own for 30 minutes before leaving together. He saw nothing or no-one. ::)

Choice is yours I reckon.

Result was that 1.5 hours after they got home...........APPROVED.

So overall no complaints.

Good luck

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »
Awesome glad to hear your daughter-in-law's application was successful and that's an impressive turn around time for getting the approval!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »
From my ILR and Naturalisation experiences, partners were not allowed (signs up and everything). Only those with a child seemed to be allowed up as it seemed they didn't want to separate a parent from a baby even if the baby wasnt applying. That being said, I went to a core centre not one of the premium locations and my understanding is that the service is "better" there (which is the incentive for paying more to go there vs. Paying for an out of hours appointment at a core centre) so it may be allowed. Worst case scenario, go with her on the day and if they tell you that you cant come in due to space or something, go get a coffee for 30-45 mins and meet her when she calls to say shes done.  Just note that I dont believe you'll be allowed to physically go to the biometrics machine or desk with her regardless. My husband went to the appointment with me but couldn't come inside and I'm kind of glad he didn't because would've been bored just sitting there waiting and it meant I could read my book while still feeling supported because we drove to the centre together.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links