Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Meditation  (Read 2083 times)

• Liked: 56
Re: Meditation
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »
During my last back episode when I had searing nerve pain one saturday night I was able to meditate into a mental space away from all of it, just by focusing on my breathing. I haven't been able to do it again since, but I was using a guided meditation app at the time to help pain management.

I would be interested in TM classes though, but it seems expensive. Is it necessary to see a guru?

• Liked: 107
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »
You can find mindfulness classes for ~£60 for a 8 week course? Have a look in your area.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 533
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 09:27:19 AM »
I would be interested in TM classes though, but it seems expensive. Is it necessary to see a guru?

They are expensive. I actually think the value of TM probably lies in just taking the 20 minutes out every morning and evening to quieten down the mind. The structure of the programme, I think, just helps to get the "habit" started. Similar to exercise, if you can get somebody to incorporate it fully into their lives it has a better chance of "sticking". A warm bath and an Enya CD might be just as useful, but are you going to do that every morning and every evening?

Moreover, I don't know if TM would be much help in acute scenarios like pain or something; If the pilot screams over the loudspeaker "We're going down!" I don't know that TM would be useful. Again, the idea being that if you calm the mind twice a day, and you keep it up for a year, overall anxiety should smooth out a bit. But no, if the neighbour is playing loud techno, you can't meditate through it.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links