Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: CitiBank cancelling my credit card due to UK address  (Read 1674 times)

• Liked: 0
CitiBank cancelling my credit card due to UK address
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
Hi all,

As stated, CitiBank is cancelling my credit card.  I've been living in the UK for 15 years and its never been a problem.  I got a notice a month ago that they were cancelling it.  Anyone else had this experience?

I don't really have a reliable US address I can use to maintain this card.  Does anyone know of a US card company that will accept US citizens with foreign addresses as a customer?  I'd really like to use this card as I visit the US once a year for holiday and use the card quite often while I'm there.  I maintain a US checking account to pay off the card and I can keep everything in dollars without any foreign transaction fees or punitive currency exchanges.

• Liked: 672
Re: CitiBank cancelling my credit card due to UK address
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
I think Chase does (or used to, when I checked a few years ago).

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
HSBC hasn't had any issues with my address being foreign for my US card. Hopefully there's no new legislation that will change it!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
I just phoned Citi (international collect number) to change my address to the UK.  The CSR said, "I need to let you know that by making this change, your account will be closed in 60 days.  Do you still want to change it?"  I cancelled the change, but then I said, "Is there a reason for that?  I have other credit cards with this address listed and they're fine."  She said, "There is nothing here, just this notice that if you change it, the account will be closed."  So I guess it's just Citibank's policy?  My USAA account has my UK address, as does my local Arkansas credit union account.  So I don't know what Citi's worried about.

Mind you, my Chase account was closed last year, but I hadn't used it in about 5 years, so I wasn't too surprised by that one.  Disappointed, but not surprised.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 716
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
HSBC hasn't had any issues with my address being foreign for my US card. Hopefully there's no new legislation that will change it!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Same with us. Also their credit and debit card have no foreign transaction or ATM fees. Been using both in France this past 2 weeks.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
I had a capital one card that was a us card they cancelled it without telling me I was surprised by that and felt the same wanted to keep it open in case I needed it I don’t see why they have a problem with foreign addresses. I no longer have my US driving license either that was hard to let go of
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »
I’ve also held onto my US Amex card. I keep it alive with my monthly Netflix subscription and used it quite a lot during our 4 week holiday in the USA earlier this year.

US bank account suspended
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
We have been on holiday in France this past 2 weeks and yesterday I received a message from my bank of possible fraud. Before I called them I tried to access my account using the bank app but saw that the account was suspended, please contact us.

When I called they asked if I had logged on from California because my home address is in England and I had indicated we were travelling in France. I recalled that the previous evening I had been connected to the USA via VPN to watch something and had forgotten to close the VPN connection. Entirely my fault and good for them for spotting the discrepancy when I logged on to check my checking and credit card transactions.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
I’ve had my Chase card with my UK address on it since I moved here last year and no issues. I’m canceling it once it’s paid off because the one problem I do have with it is verification online with some sites.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab