Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you LOVE the UK compared to USA, or is life keeping you here?  (Read 14112 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: Do you LOVE the UK compared to USA, or is life keeping you here?
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2019, 09:55:54 AM »
I wonder how do most of you feel about life in the UK compared to what you gave up in the United States?

I 'gave up' precisely NOTHING in moving to Scotland from the US.  I was estranged from my family at the time, so leaving them was not a loss to me.  We've since reconciled and my relationship with them has improved with a few thousand miles between us.  My quality of life here is much better than it was in the US, and I shudder to think what my life would be today if I had never left... or if I'd even be alive, as I was on a pretty self-destructive path then.    I came here at age 23 and have now been here more than 30 years, so i reckon I've long since ceased to be seen as a 'foreigner'.

• Liked: 680
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
Yeah, second that. I didn't "give up" anything. Except a much more hectic, much more expensive life.  ;D

• Liked: 3
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
I 'gave up' precisely NOTHING in moving to Scotland from the US.  I was estranged from my family at the time, so leaving them was not a loss to me.  We've since reconciled and my relationship with them has improved with a few thousand miles between us.  My quality of life here is much better than it was in the US, and I shudder to think what my life would be today if I had never left... or if I'd even be alive, as I was on a pretty self-destructive path then.    I came here at age 23 and have now been here more than 30 years, so i reckon I've long since ceased to be seen as a 'foreigner'.

Hello

Wonderful to learn how well the move has worked out for you. Any reason why you picked Scotland and are the people there very friendly?

• Liked: 585
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2019, 06:30:10 AM »
Hello

Wonderful to learn how well the move has worked out for you. Any reason why you picked Scotland and are the people there very friendly?

I didn't really 'pick' Scotland...i came here on holiday and met a Scottish guy.  The relationship with the guy didn't last (thankfully!!!!!), but i loved the freedom of living here, and yes, most of the people i met were friendly, so i stayed on.  I don't think i had any intention of living my entire life here, as a really naive 23 year old, but life just sort of happened and the longer i stayed, the more difficult it became to leave.  So here i am!  :)

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »
I didn't really 'pick' Scotland...i came here on holiday and met a Scottish guy.  The relationship with the guy didn't last (thankfully!!!!!), but i loved the freedom of living here, and yes, most of the people i met were friendly, so i stayed on.  I don't think i had any intention of living my entire life here, as a really naive 23 year old, but life just sort of happened and the longer i stayed, the more difficult it became to leave.  So here i am!  :)

That is so interesting how life can put us where we need to be. I guess to some degree that proves unplanned moves can work out extremely well to a planned move. Have you explored other regions in the UK and do you feel the Scottish culture is friendlier than maybe the British or Irish cultures?

I know that is a general question so please feel free to not answer.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:59:32 PM by Overheadsmash »

• Liked: 770
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
That is so interesting how life can put us where we need to be. I guess to some degree that proves unplanned moves can work out extremely well to a planned move. Have you explored other regions in the UK and do you feel the Scottish culture is friendlier than maybe the British or Irish cultures?

I know that is a general question so please feel free to not answer.
Scottish are British. You mean English.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
Scottish are British. You mean English.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, English.

Sponsored Links