Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Some Allergy stuff this weekend  (Read 1779 times)

• Liked: 1891
Some Allergy stuff this weekend
« on: July 16, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »

I had a little glimpse of life with allergies this weekend as I thought it would be fun to take my boy and some of his friends to see the new Spiderman movie and go out to eat.  One kid I’ve never met has a severe, life threatening allergy to some foods, so the dad tells me that the kid can’t eat Pizza Hut but will bring his own snacks and is perfectly happy to watch us and eat his own things and just wants to be included.  The dad wanted to show up 15 minutes early to teach me how to use the epi pen as well.  I was a bit concerned at this level of additional responsibility, but whatever, I was  willing to do my part so the kids can have a good time.   

Of course, once we got to Pizza Hut and this kid saw the wonders (he had never been before), there was no way he was eating a pack of crisps!  He called his dad and got permission, so I had to help negotiate with the manager to make sure the food would be prepared in such a way as to not kill this kid.  He got his pizza, but sadly no drink or unlimited ice cream bar.  None of those would be an allergy risk as far as I know, it just seems like his parents were using that as an excuse to keep him away from the finer things in life.  Not sure how that’s going to work as the kid wises up in the future. 

• Liked: 1260
Re: Some Allergy stuff this weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:40:27 AM »
This level of responsibility is terrifying to me lol This is why I should definitely NOT have children...

What were your thoughts on the new Spiderman movie?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 12:23:08 PM »
Kind of funny that it was supposed to be "Far from Home" but the majority of it happened in Prague and London, both places I consider home.

It was really good, as good as the first.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
Kind of funny that it was supposed to be "Far from Home" but the majority of it happened in Prague and London, both places I consider home.

It was really good, as good as the first.

I would say that they could've gone farther from home hahahah

Yeah I agree it was really good. I think the overall film of Homecoming was better however the villain in this one is better and I really enjoyed the character development.

Literally I never much cared about Spiderman before these newest films as he really is a perfect Spiderman character in my opinion.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 163
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »
I had a little glimpse of life with allergies this weekend as I thought it would be fun to take my boy and some of his friends to see the new Spiderman movie and go out to eat.  One kid I’ve never met has a severe, life threatening allergy to some foods, so the dad tells me that the kid can’t eat Pizza Hut but will bring his own snacks and is perfectly happy to watch us and eat his own things and just wants to be included.  The dad wanted to show up 15 minutes early to teach me how to use the epi pen as well.  I was a bit concerned at this level of additional responsibility, but whatever, I was  willing to do my part so the kids can have a good time.   

My kids have allergies, too, and we go through a similar routine whenever we go out to eat. I know that dad appreciates your helpfulness. I do, too.

Of course, once we got to Pizza Hut and this kid saw the wonders (he had never been before), there was no way he was eating a pack of crisps!  He called his dad and got permission, so I had to help negotiate with the manager to make sure the food would be prepared in such a way as to not kill this kid.  He got his pizza, but sadly no drink or unlimited ice cream bar.  None of those would be an allergy risk as far as I know, it just seems like his parents were using that as an excuse to keep him away from the finer things in life.  Not sure how that’s going to work as the kid wises up in the future.

Haha, could be. It also could be some worry about cross-contamination, or about something with the phrase "May contain nuts" on the ingredients. Until I had kids with allergies, I didn't realize exactly how vague a word "may" is.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »
Thanks Comascato, I really did want the kid to have fun and be included.  In the end, the allergy stuff was easy because I wasn't about to second guess the parent's decision on any of that.  The hard part was I had a part in exposing him to pizza Hut and other stuff his parents weren't so keen on

• Liked: 154
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »

It’s nice though that you cared and included him anyways. I have a kid in our kid’s group who cannot eat ( not because of allergies) sugary crappy food. I get it... you want your kid to be healthy but god forbid if I take a lot of kids to a bouncy trampoline place you bet their having juice, cake and sweets. You only get your birthday once a year. But not giving that child any is always awkward

Sponsored Links