Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ferry from Amsterdam to UK with Pet question  (Read 3963 times)

• Liked: 1
Ferry from Amsterdam to UK with Pet question
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:36:09 PM »
Hi guys,

My partner is coming over to live in the UK in October (depending on VISA decision of course!) and she is bringing along her cat. Due to the way it's worked out with costs, our travel plan is as follows.

Flight from Chicago to Frankfurt, Germany.
Flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Amsterdam, Netherlands
Ferry from Amsterdam, Netherlands to Newcastle, UK

There is no nightly layover and this'll all be within one day (only a stopover of 1hr in Germany)

My partner is super stressed about the whole process, though we're 100% certain we have our third country paperwork set up.

The question we have is regarding the differences between entering the UK with a pet from a third country and entering the UK with a pet from an EU country. If coming in from an EU country, you require a pet passport. If coming from a third country, you need your third country certificate, all makes sense. But what does it count for us if we first arrive in Germany, Travel to Amsterdam and then Ferry to the UK? Are we coming in from the EU or are we coming in from a third country? We're not certain if we have to set up a vet appointment before we get the ferry to get a pet passport, or if our third country certificate will be sufficient.

If anyone has any idea about this, it would be super appreciated as this is the step we are most anxious about.

Thanks all and kind regards

• Liked: 4985
Re: Ferry from Amsterdam to UK with Pet question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:58:44 AM »

• Liked: 1
Re: Ferry from Amsterdam to UK with Pet question
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 05:10:03 PM »
I'm hoping this thread will help you!

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=96068.msg1277677#new

Ah thank you very much for doing some digging! That is a super helpful thread (And reassures me about our plans).

For anyone wondering same as I did above, I made some phonecalls to the ferry company as well as a call to DEFRA and found out that I have overlooked that "Third Country Certificates" are valid for 4 months after entering the EU to travel to any other EU country, so if you have a connecting flight in the EU before you get to Amsterdam / Paris / Wherever you're getting a ferry, don't fret as, as long as you have all required documentation listed, you should be fine. I shall return after our move and let you all know how it goes - for anyone planning to make a similar trip!

Thanks for your assistance KFdancer!

Sponsored Links