Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need suggestions for a get-away  (Read 963 times)

• Liked: 674
Need suggestions for a get-away
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:54:05 PM »
Ok, the Daughter gets four days in a row off next week, and we want to go somewhere we haven't been before. Somewhere relatively quiet, that can be reached by bus (preferably) or train, and have a relaxing couple of days kind of kicking around looking at the local shops or visiting gardens, stuff like that. The Daughter just loves going in little tourist shops and I like sitting on benches in pretty places and enjoying the scenery.
Would like to stay in a small hotel or B&B - nothing fancy, just nice and clean, with decent food. Maybe £100 a night limit.  We do enjoy the country, but I'm not able to do a lot of uneven-terrain walking at present.  Have already been to Inverrary, Ayr, Ft. William, Inverness, Stirling, and the area around Edinburgh. And Argyll and Bute.  Thought we might to north and east this time.  (Saving Iona for September.)

We have enjoyed things like the dog collar museum, the garden museum (in London - Captain Bligh is buried out back), the tea museum, zoos, weaving museum, folklife museums, stuff like that. We can't drink, so distilleries are of no interest. Would enjoy seeing puffins and wildlife....

Anybody have any suggestions of a nice place to visit?

• Liked: 585
Re: Need suggestions for a get-away
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »
Only in Scotland, or is England ok too?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
York?

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 10:05:22 PM »
Berwick?  From there easy to visit the Farne Islands and see seals and puffins etc. We visited Seahouses last year, just south of Berwick and it brought back great memories of our honeymoon at Seahouses in 1976. We were students with no funds and had to get around with trains and buses and could only afford B&Bs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farne_Islands

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahouses
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:08:47 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I get free bus travel in Scotland, so that's the preference, but England is good, too. Just not too far south.  I will check out Berwick and also York.  :)

When we were down at Newcastle last year I wanted to go see the puffins and stuff, but the only way to get to the place where the tour boat left would have taken me several hours by bus as there was no direct route to it. I contacted the tour company and they suggested renting a car as the best option, which really isn't something I want to be doing...

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »
Oban area is lovely. 

Dundee has some new museums that might be up your alley.

South of the border, Newcastle? Lake District? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »
Oban area is lovely. 

Dundee has some new museums that might be up your alley.

South of the border, Newcastle? Lake District?

Oban is on the the "go to Iona" trip.  Maybe Dundee - have never been up that way. Will investigate, thanks!

Have been to Newcastle/Durham. Haven't done the Lake District - I think I'll wait till later in the year for that one, until the American tourists clear out a bit. ;)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 10:54:29 PM »
Oban is on the the "go to Iona" trip.  Maybe Dundee - have never been up that way. Will investigate, thanks!

Have been to Newcastle/Durham. Haven't done the Lake District - I think I'll wait till later in the year for that one, until the American tourists clear out a bit. ;)
I liked Dundee but the V&A museum is a time waster. You will be in and out in 30 minutes. The best display is a Rennie tea room but you've seen one at Glasgow Art museum and it's the same thing.

I've been to tons of places now but it's hard to give you ideas since you are limited to public transportation. The best places I've been are outside of normal transport.

You are starting to run short of time to see the puffins this year. They will be back at sea soon. The best time to see them is once the pufflings hatch. And this year, they started hatching early.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links