Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about us licence  (Read 670 times)

• Liked: 250
Question about us licence
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »
Hi all,

I've been here nearly 11 months now and chickened out on the driving and getting my licence early.

I had a panic attack when I tried to drive, hated my refresher lessons and don't like driving my Husbands car. If I had my own automatic I think it would be much easier but I chickened out and avoided refresher lessons in an auto. I'm trying to reschedule them now. That being said I'm sure my US licence will "expire" for use in the UK before I am able to take my UK test. That's really fine I'll get my provisional and I never drive anyway. I live in the center of town.

The reason I'm here is because a friend of mine who moved here from Georgia 10 years ago said there used to be a fine for not transferring your licence before the US one expires. Is that true? I've had no real reason to drive and since it made me so anxious I'm taking it slow.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Question about us licence
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »
There is no fine.  In fact, you can't "transfer" your US license, anyway.  You must apply for a new UK license (and pass the theory and practical tests) if you want to continue to drive after living here for a year.  She might have been confused and meant that there is a fine for driving on your US license after the 1 year has elapsed?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab