Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shouting...?  (Read 5962 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Shouting...?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »
Ah, gotcha. I'll have to remember that. Thank you  :)

With that particular situation she, um, thought I had a bit of a side hussle. Probably should've just let her think that.

hehehe  Obviously, we're all individuals, and you can probably be 'real' with some people.  But on the whole, I've found that they don't like to acknowledge things.  There is no elephant in the room.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »
he danced around what he really wanted to asked until I finally cottoned onto his concern. “She isn’t pregnant if that is what you are asking”, I said. The university had never had a female electrical engineering graduate so he was worried about that!!

Professor: I say Durhamlad, you know how a plug fits in the socket? Closes the circuit, if you know what I mean?
Durhamlad: Eh? Yes I suppose..pretty basic stuff....
Professor: Ahem right....and you know sometimes when this happens a light goes on, err...?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 718
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
Professor: I say Durhamlad, you know how a plug fits in the socket? Closes the circuit, if you know what I mean?
Durhamlad: Eh? Yes I suppose..pretty basic stuff....
Professor: Ahem right....and you know sometimes when this happens a light goes on, err...?

:) :D ;D
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
:) :D ;D

You must be getting close to 50 years married durhamlad!  What year is the big celebration?

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
You must be getting close to 50 years married durhamlad!  What year is the big celebration?

Married in 1976 so we still have a few years to go.

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
Married in 1976 so we still have a few years to go.

Not too far.  My parents will hit 50 years in 2022.  Exactly 2 days before, my husband and I will celebrate 10 years.  We eloped and everyone says we should do something for our 10th.  But 50 trumps 10 ALL DAY LONG.  So we shall celebrate my parents! 

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »
Not too far.  My parents will hit 50 years in 2022.  Exactly 2 days before, my husband and I will celebrate 10 years.  We eloped and everyone says we should do something for our 10th.  But 50 trumps 10 ALL DAY LONG.  So we shall celebrate my parents!

Our good friends here were married the same week as us 10 years earlier. Just after we got back here in 2016 we went to their big 50th anniversary so we decided not do anything for our 40th.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
On another note, one of his cousins (who was about 7 at the time) was sitting on the couch, watching her brother and cousins play football in the garden. I asked her if she'd like to play, too, and said how I knew my husband and his brothers would play with her. She said, "I can't because I'm a girl." I told her she could do anything, especially play football, and that whomever has told her that wasn't very bright. It was her father who had told her that and he was sitting with us. Needless to say, I was pulled aside by my MIL for being "outspoken."

Thank you for calling out the girl's father. And well, I would have argued with my MIL all day if she called me 'outspoken' over something like this. This kind of attitude (from the girl's father, family),makes my blood boil. Can't do something because she's a girl. NOT ON. NOT ON any day of the year.  I would have said it even louder then.   [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=argue.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 13
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 10:46:29 AM »
Thank you for calling out the girl's father. And well, I would have argued with my MIL all day if she called me 'outspoken' over something like this. This kind of attitude (from the girl's father, family),makes my blood boil. Can't do something because she's a girl. NOT ON. NOT ON any day of the year.  I would have said it even louder then.   [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=argue.gif]

It's a pleasure, and that stuff makes my blood boil, too. We later chatted about what she wanted to be when she grew up. She wants to be a teacher, so I told her to work hard at school, get into a good uni, etc, and of course her father had a few opinions on that. Poor thing was stuck in the middle. My MIL hosts a family reunion each year, and I can tell you that each year fewer and fewer men speak to me. It's kind of nice to be left alone, ha! My husband does find it amusing - he sides with me on these things.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 11:27:43 AM »
OMG. Please keep encouraging her, thanks!!  She needs someone to!! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 13
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
OMG. Please keep encouraging her, thanks!!  She needs someone to!! 

Will do!

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 12:41:24 PM »

My 5 year old recently had her summer fair at school.  She and I walked down early to get in line for the face painter (seriously popular and crazy line otherwise).  Parents in law said "Don't get anything horrible, you do not need to be a panda."  My daughter is Panda mad.

Guess what she got?  A panda.  You are *not* going to tell my kid not to get something when it is 100% harmless.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
I know you're not amused, but it is funny you brought this up.  My husband uses the term "shouting" in a way I do not understand.  I think it means speaking in an assertive and animated manner.  Not quite aggressive, but clearly expressing one's discontent.  (Showing your emotions is just Not Done!)

Remember that the British express their anger by being polite (kidding, not-kidding).  I think to do anything else is considered shouting to them.
I agree 100%. My husband is always saying I'm shouting or screaming when I've barely even raised my voice higher than normal conversational volume (and he doesn't find me speaking normally to be shouting/screaming) so would also be more inclined to believe it's the tone vs. The volume.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »
What's horrible about a Panda?  If anything, that's very little girl cute.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
What's horrible about a Panda?  If anything, that's very little girl cute.

Well, you know, it just wouldn't do for a child to enjoy something excessively, now, would it?

Sponsored Links