Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: National Insurance Number appointment?  (Read 1612 times)

• Liked: 4
National Insurance Number appointment?
« on: August 01, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »
Hi all!

I just moved over last week, and am slowly starting to get settled in. Have had a few snags along the way...can't open a bank account as I do not have proof of address until my husband and I find a place to live, haven't been able to get a phone as I can't set up direct debit without a bank account, etc.

I'm here with right to work/no public funds, with a 2.5 year spousal visa. My Biometric Residence Permit does not appear to have a national insurance number on it, and it is unclear to me where such a number would even be listed even after speaking with the National Insurance Number appointment hotline. I'm planning to start working shifts at a local restaurant, and on a job search for work in my field, so I'm thinking I'll need to go to an interview? Has anyone done this? I'm having a hard time finding threads on this, so apologies if this topic already exists elsewhere.

Thank you all!
Married: 15/03/2019
Submitted online application: 17/04/2019
Biometrics: 29/04/2019
Documents sent to NY:29/04/2019
Documents successfully delivered in NY: 30/04/2019
ECO email from Sheffield: 01/05/2019
Decision made email: 06/06/2019
VISA APPROVED (date on letter)!!!: 05/06/2019
Passport received: 10/06/2019

• Liked: 6110
Re: National Insurance Number appointment?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
Hi all!

I just moved over last week, and am slowly starting to get settled in. Have had a few snags along the way...can't open a bank account as I do not have proof of address until my husband and I find a place to live, haven't been able to get a phone as I can't set up direct debit without a bank account, etc.

I'm here with right to work/no public funds, with a 2.5 year spousal visa. My Biometric Residence Permit does not appear to have a national insurance number on it, and it is unclear to me where such a number would even be listed even after speaking with the National Insurance Number appointment hotline. I'm planning to start working shifts at a local restaurant, and on a job search for work in my field, so I'm thinking I'll need to go to an interview? Has anyone done this? I'm having a hard time finding threads on this, so apologies if this topic already exists elsewhere.

Thank you all!

Yours is not a work visa (although you do have permission to work) so you will not have a NI number on your BRP, you will need to apply by calling.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

You will be invited to attend a participating job centre but it's more of an ID check than an interview.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 12:37:32 PM »
Hi all!

You might want to try enrolling with your husband's gp. They may allow him to vouch for you in lieu of official proof of address and when they send you your NHS number, you will have official mail to show the bank.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »
As you are on a spousal visa, your NI number was not generated for you and put on your BRP (I think that only happens for some work visas).  Instead, you will need to apply for a NI number through the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).  To apply, you'll need proof of address, your BRP and passport, and your partner's NI number.

The application process involves attending an appointment at a Jobs Centre Plus.  Booking that appointment can sometimes be tricky.  You probably won't have a problem because you're planning to start work soon, so just tell them that and they'll book you in.  (I wasn't job-seeking when I got mine, so they didn't want to bother with giving me an appointment so I could apply.)  At the appointment, they'll verify your right to work and your identity by glancing briefly at your BRP, then they'll fill out a form on the computer that you easily could have done yourself.  You'll wait a few weeks, and your number will appear in the post.

You can start working before your number arrives.  You'll be taxed at the 'emergency' rate, but you will get a refund for any excess tax withholding from HMRC once your record is updated with your NI number.

You probably already have this information, but in case you don't, the number to call to apply is here.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 01:25:16 PM »
Our son had similar issues and went through the NI interview process and actually started work before he had obtained his number as this took quite a few weeks to come through. He was actually living with us at the time and they asked him to bring a letter from us stating that he was living with us as proof of address. We also provided a copy of a utility bill with our name on it to prove where we lived.

For his mobile phone he also had no credit record so we added him onto our mobile plan and he paid us each month for his phone.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »
For mobile, my husband bought me a phone and I'm on a pay as you go SIM plan. Its super cheap because I do all my downloads while on WiFi.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 04:44:48 PM »
For mobile, my husband bought me a phone and I'm on a pay as you go SIM plan. Its super cheap because I do all my downloads while on WiFi.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Was going to suggest PAYG as well. For about £100 max total, you can get a phone that is smart enough to do stuff like Google maps, etc., and a month's SIM plan with Vodafone without needing and further details/requirements. I'm sure you can find even cheaper ones with other networks (I just have recent experience with VF because I worked there and we did this for my mom with a £30 SIM PAYG plan). Definitely recommend getting a pay as you go SIM phone temporarily

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links