Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another question about US license.  (Read 989 times)

• Liked: 250
Another question about US license.
« on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »
I've been here nearly a year now and haven't taken my UK driving test yet. I have also not got my own car or registered with the DVLA or anything like that.

So, does my "1 year" on my license start 1 year from entering the UK or 1 year from driving with a registered vehicle? How would a cop even verify that if I got pulled over? I don't carry my BRP or passport with me to prove when I entered the UK, whereas with a registration certificate it would prove how long I've been driving the car.

I am getting nervous because I have a job interview tomorrow and one of the requirements is a "clean driving license" which I have, but it will be short lived it if "expires" in a month. I'm worried it might cause issues. I don't really have time or money to take more refresher courses and feel confident doing my theory and practical test before September. Can someone give me some insight on this? How long can I use my US license? I haven't really driven much here at all and our car is registered in my husband's name because it's his.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:09:03 PM by TeamTollie »
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 387
Re: Another question about US license.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »
Your US license is valid for 1 year from when you originally became resident in the UK. 

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:51 PM »
You should get your provisional license ASAP honestly. They will be concerned with your UK driving history, because for insurance if you'll be driving their company vehicles you'll need a UK license. I wouldn't let that stop you from nailing the interview, just make sure you have a plan to discuss when you'll try to take the UK driving test and your US history if it comes up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 424
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »
I was hired for a Council job that required driving, while still on my US license, I then took some lessons and practiced my theory and hazard perception. I took my tests some time after I had been working. They initially just discussed it with me and took a copy of my US license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »
I'm sure it's different in various parts of the UK, but where I am, practical test slots are usually fully booked up to 3 weeks in advance.  If you need your license by September, you might want to try and book the practical time slot now if the testing centre where you are is a particularly busy one.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
I'm sure it's different in various parts of the UK, but where I am, practical test slots are usually fully booked up to 3 weeks in advance.  If you need your license by September, you might want to try and book the practical time slot now if the testing centre where you are is a particularly busy one.

Same here too. Earliest spot to take practical is October 5. It was a month out for theory. I can't even find an instructor with slots earlier than end of August.

Tollie, I would get your provisional as soon as you can while you still have your US licence.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
Same here too. Earliest spot to take practical is October 5. It was a month out for theory. I can't even find an instructor with slots earlier than end of August.

Tollie, I would get your provisional as soon as you can while you still have your US licence.

You can only book your practical test if you have passed your theory... So get your provisional as you have to have it for your theory test, book that, then book your practical as soon as you can.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
You can only book your practical test if you have passed your theory... So get your provisional as you have to have it for your theory test, book that, then book your practical as soon as you can.

Oh yea I know I was just letting her know about what timelines are like right now  :)

I passed my theory already 👍

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 12:12:51 PM »
Indeed - I would say the number one priority is to get your UK provisional license.  (if anything, I liked having one for ID purposes for collecting mail)

As soon as you have your UK provisional license, book a theory test.  There might be a bit of waiting for that - I've had to wait anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks to get an open slot.  Once you've passed your theory test, book your practical exam.  I've found these are almost always booked 3-4 weeks in advance for my testing center (though of course, mileage may vary in your area).

Good luck Tollie! 

• Liked: 250
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »
Thank you all. I did indeed come up in the interview  :-\\\\ 

Even so, even if I had a UK license I don't have my own car at the moment. If I get this job, the salary would be such a huge increase to our household income I could afford an automatic and practice in my own car. I won't get into how much anxiety I have driving a manual here. I was so much easier in the States.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 01:13:05 PM »
*hugs*  I completely share your anxiety about driving a manual here.  I am able to do so, and I think I could get used to one eventually, but I think it would take a LOT of time to feel truly comfortable.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 06:42:27 PM »
If we had an automatic I would’ve just stayed with it too and had a license by now. Learning a manual is a lot.  Good luck xx

FLR(M) Standard

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab