Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Greetings from the Willamette Valley, Oregon!  (Read 1956 times)

• Liked: 0
Greetings from the Willamette Valley, Oregon!
« on: August 09, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
Greetings!

I'm pleased to announce that I'm finally getting to realize a long-held dream of moving to the UK on a work visa. I've been fantasizing about moving overseas for more than 30 years (I'm 47), and am very excited to be finally making it happen.

I found this website/forum by digging around looking for advice on what to pack, and was led here by the article [url]here[https://www.travelfashiongirl.com/moving-to-uk-from-us/url]. (hopefully that hyperlink worked - I'm a noob at this html stuff)

I'm a middle aged punk rock mama, and teach secondary science. (My son is an adult who is not moving over with me. He's staying here in Oregon w/his wife and their cat.) I will be teaching at a secondary school in Tenterden, Kent, and would love any advice on public transport, lodging, commuting, where to get essentials, thrift store access, and really anything.

I've sold my house and am setting up for a yard/garage sale to offload as much of my stuff as possible. I'll be storing some things I can't let go of yet, and will be trying to only take the things I can't get there, or can't be bothered to replace right away.

That's enough information for now. Ask me relevant questions and I'll try to respond in a timely manner.

Thanks for having this great resource!
Holly

• Liked: 6110
Re: Greetings from the Willamette Valley, Oregon!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:51:22 PM »
What an adventure! Welcome!  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »
Tenterden is a great place, and has a steam train running through it.  Look forward to cherries and strawberries during the summer.

And you are super close to some fantastic beaches (Camber Sands) and interesting tourist stuff like Rye.  I envy you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 07:57:07 PM »

Tell us about some punk rock shows you’ve seen.  Bad Brains and the Ramones are mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:28:50 AM »
Bad Brains and Ramones must have been rad! Alas, I've not seen either of those bands, not arriving on the scene until the 80's, after those cats stopped touring.

To list all the shows I've seen would take a LOT of brain memory power. Let's just say I go to an average of several shows a month for the past 30 years. I've seen some great acts, for sure. The biggest bang for my punk rock dollar has to have been when I got to go to Rebellion Fest in Blackpool in 2015. I'm excited to get to go again next year!

Thanks for the welcome, y'all!
 ;D

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 02:36:40 PM »
Welcome to UKY!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
Welcome!! I have to admit that I did giggle reading the title as it made me think of Oregon Trail :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab