Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Useful apps and websites  (Read 4925 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Useful apps and websites
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 01:57:06 PM »
We were hoping not to have to get Sky and just use Netflix.  We hardly watch TV anyway.  Like maybe once a week.  What do you do for internet?  I know in some countries, internet only is so expensive you don't really save anything and you might as well buy a bundled service.

For Internet I would strongly consider the sim based solution that PB was talking about if you don't have actual fibre to your door.  I think 3 is having some good deals on that right now.

• Liked: 104
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
Just read through your Welcome Wagon post -- welcome back! Lots and lots of great suggestions here but I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway. :)

I'd second what everyone else is saying about avoiding Sky -- we only have it because we're mooching off my MIL so don't have to pay but we rarely use it anyway. Between Netflix and Amazon Prime (which is WELL worth the cost, especially for the free delivery), we can watch most of what we're interested in.

I've seen Amazon Firesticks and such mentioned. I'd also recommend getting a Google Chromecast, which lets you stream things from your laptop/phone to your TV (i.e. Netflix, YouTube).

Also want to add in Spotify for streaming music - I don't think that would've been around before you moved? It's £10/month to listen with no ads and it's a massive library of music/podcasts.

If you'll be in a big city, Uber would be helpful. It's cheaper than cabs but tbh I'm not sure what the difference between Uber and Lyft is, other than Uber seems to be more popular. I use it often when I'm down in Glasgow. It's free to sign up so I'd register anyway and if you use it, great...if not, then you're not out anything.

There are TONS of monthly subscriptions out there now. Two of my favs that are nice treats (but 100% not necessities) are Stitch Fix and Birchbox. Stitch Fix sends you 5 items of clothing each month and you keep what you want and send back (for free) what you don't. I hate clothes shopping so it's perfect for me lol. Birchbox is a beauty subscription one that sends you mini versions of different beauty products with the option to buy full-size if you like anything. I stock up on mine and take them with me when I travel since they're the perfect size for taking on a trip!
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »
Ooh, thanks for the tip! We need more litter and they just redid the interior at our aldi so worth checking out!

How did you get on with this, margo?  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »
Sooo, what is this sim streaming box thing??? 

We have a TV and get freeview, which is plenty of choice, but I tend to watch most of my video online or on the Roku box. We are paying the £154 a year required to view "live" tv, but, quite frankly, it doesn't matter to us if it's live or recorded for later. If we didn't have to pay that, it'd be nice.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
How did you get on with this, margo?  :)
I checked their website and couldn't find it, and we needed to order food so we just got more litter will venture to aldi this week and see if it's in stock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »
I checked their website and couldn't find it, and we needed to order food so we just got more litter will venture to aldi this week and see if it's in stock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Good luck!  :)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 06:48:55 PM »
Ebates over here is  Quidco and Top Cash Back. I have both as not all retailers are available in just one. Hot UK Deals is good to find excellent deals on everything and anything.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab