Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: When does a mortgage get cheaper - as a citizen or as ILR?  (Read 4645 times)

• Liked: 13
When does a mortgage get cheaper - as a citizen or as ILR?
« on: August 27, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »
My husband and I now find ourselves in the privileged position of being homeowners AND having ILR for myself!

We've had some employment changes and are now struggling with commuting. We'd like to move house to make commutes easier, but we are wondering if it would be better mortgage-wise if we did my citizenship application first. I'm going to apply for citizenship in any case, but it's just a question of whether we save up for the citizenship application first, or put that £1800 towards the solicitor and all the other costs of moving house.

Of course we are assuming that our mortgage rates will improve as a result of my ILR - is that true? Would it get even easier if we were both citizens, or do the benefits plateau after ILR?

Yes yes, Brexit and uncertainty, things might change next year, we know - but if we isolate just my immigration status, how much of a difference will it make? Anyone have any experience?

We're in the Midlands if that makes any difference.

• Liked: 1327
Re: When does a mortgage get cheaper - as a citizen or as ILR?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
Having ILR will get you better rates.  But with citizenship you can get on the electoral roll, which is supposed to positively affect your credit score, so I assume you'd get better rates still if you naturalize.

I realize this is rather a vague answer, but I don't know if there's any way to quantitatively say X is better or Y is better.  I doubt there is a large enough sample of people to study the question.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
Soooo, I have elected to not be on the public electoral roll. Is that a mistake?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »
Soooo, I have elected to not be on the public electoral roll. Is that a mistake?

It's being on the electoral roll which matters, not whether you elect to be on the public version or not.   :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 07:16:02 PM »

The full version
Everyone’s name and address goes on the full version of the electoral register. The full version of the register is only used for:

elections
preventing and detecting crime
checking applications for loans or credit
jury summoning in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/opt-out-of-the-open-register

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »
My husband and I now find ourselves in the privileged position of being homeowners AND having ILR for myself!

We've had some employment changes and are now struggling with commuting. We'd like to move house to make commutes easier, but we are wondering if it would be better mortgage-wise if we did my citizenship application first. I'm going to apply for citizenship in any case, but it's just a question of whether we save up for the citizenship application first, or put that £1800 towards the solicitor and all the other costs of moving house.

Of course we are assuming that our mortgage rates will improve as a result of my ILR - is that true? Would it get even easier if we were both citizens, or do the benefits plateau after ILR?

Yes yes, Brexit and uncertainty, things might change next year, we know - but if we isolate just my immigration status, how much of a difference will it make? Anyone have any experience?

We're in the Midlands if that makes any difference.

I genuinely do not believe ILR and citizenship are treated differently when it comes to mortgages.  Do whichever feels right.
it’s a great time to buy!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »
I genuinely do not believe ILR and citizenship are treated differently when it comes to mortgages.  Do whichever feels right.
it’s a great time to buy!
Agree with this from the research I've done but also want to add that I agree with JFK's comment about the ability to be on the electoral role with citizenship as it does increase your credit score

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links