Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Johnson to move to suspend Parliament  (Read 6605 times)

• Liked: 24
Re: Johnson to move to suspend Parliament
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
Fortunately the hurricane bypassed Puerto Rico  :D
I hope this continues the rest of the hurricane season!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 09:17:47 AM »
And say what you will about this guy, he is absolutely spot on right here:

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 957
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
He is my MP. The local boards/Facebook groups are a mix of people grateful and irate. My town was 54% leave, but I'm sure that enough people have contacted him to support this move that he is truly representing us. He's voted along the Tory party line for most of his career (against lgbt and women's equality), so I'm glad that when it truly matters he has put the country before his future in the party and politics.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »
Ok, this is all very dramatic.
But.....

Isn't there basically only the one deal, which was negotiated between the UK and the EU and which the EU says cannot be re-negotiated and which has the "Backstop" that can also not be re-negotiated?  So, all this hoo-haw is for.... why?  Are they going to vote FOR the last PM's deal (aka, the only one in town) now? If not, what is the purpose of all this?

• Liked: 163
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
But.....

Isn't there basically only the one deal, which was negotiated between the UK and the EU and which the EU says cannot be re-negotiated and which has the "Backstop" that can also not be re-negotiated?  So, all this hoo-haw is for.... why?  Are they going to vote FOR the last PM's deal (aka, the only one in town) now? If not, what is the purpose of all this?

If I understand correctly, Boris's plan as far as renegotiating with the EU is "They SAY they've made their final offer, but they haven't been dealing with ME!"

That's separate from the whole Boris vs Parliament part in which they're fighting over which one is the boss of the other. If the current parliament won't agree to whatever Boris comes up with, he'll call an election to try and get a new parliament that will.

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
Dear Lord.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »
But.....

There is a view that the “deal” is not actually final and the EU will give us a better one at the last minute rather than see us leave without a deal.

If you believe that, which I certainly don’t, then it makes sense that all of this legislation that prevents the UK from leaving without a deal is quite counter productive to our negotiating position. 

So, the purpose of all this is to try to get a better deal than the awful one that has already been agreed by threatening to jump off a cliff.  Nobody knows for certain wether Boris and Jacob really think it’s fine to actually jump off the cliff.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »
Considering the large swath of the country that thinks a non binding referendum that broke many laws is "the will of the people that must be followed", I don't see any positive outcome at this point. None of the parties are strong, hold any clear positions (beyond the brexit party, which is just idiocracy in real life), so I don't see anyone being a clear winner at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »
There is a view that the “deal” is not actually final and the EU will give us a better one at the last minute rather than see us leave without a deal.

If you believe that, which I certainly don’t, then it makes sense that all of this legislation that prevents the UK from leaving without a deal is quite counter productive to our negotiating position. 

So, the purpose of all this is to try to get a better deal than the awful one that has already been agreed by threatening to jump off a cliff.  Nobody knows for certain wether Boris and Jacob really think it’s fine to actually jump off the cliff.

uhhh, huhhhhh.....  ::)

There is a phrase from my childhood. When someone has pushed their welcome way past the point of the host gritting their teeth when smiling. It goes, as the response to the now-unwelcome guest saying they have to leave... "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."

Meaning, basically, good riddance! The opposite of "ya'll come back soon now, y'hear?".

Are those gritted teeth I see in the EU?  ;) ;)

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 06:23:08 PM »
Revoke. The only sane choice left on the table.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
Are those gritted teeth I see in the EU?  ;) ;)
Oh yeah, most people in the EU think we have already left.  The French and Germans make no secret of the fact that they are ready for a no deal Brexit and are tired of all this.

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »
Aaannnnnnddd, the Scottish Court says it's illegal, and null-and-void.

#10's response? Well, the Scots Court is biased.

That's the best he's got? Wow. ::)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
This is the second ruling in Scotland, the first ruling said it was legal

“The Court of Session decision overturns an earlier ruling from the court, which said last week that Mr Johnson had not broken the law. “

A couple of weeks ago an English court ruled it was legal which makes the score Boris 2 Courts 1 at present.

The UK Supreme Court is due to rule on Tuesday.

Couldn’t make this stuff up. I’ll have to watch House of Cards again. (The original version set in the UK)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 718
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2019, 04:32:01 PM »
Today the Supreme Court ruled against Boris by 11-0.  I love how in the summing up, the president of the Supreme Court, cited various precedents including when the law lords ruled against King James I in 1611, pointing out that back then the King was the government {but was still subject to the law}. 

It's not sure yet whether Boris will fly back from the UN in time for the next session in Parliament tomorrow.  He is due to make a speech to the UN today and has a scheduled breakfast meeting tomorrow.

Break out the popcorn ....
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links