Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nervous about moving my little fuzzy kitty buddy! :(  (Read 4019 times)

• Liked: 11
Nervous about moving my little fuzzy kitty buddy! :(
« on: September 04, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »
Hey everyone!

Has anyone had experience with moving their cat? My little guy Socrates is about 7 years old. Domestic short hair. I know there is a whole post about the process but every time go to read it the whole thing seems really overwhelming with all the steps. Any tips on where exactly to start? So far the only thing I've done is get his crate.

I'm also so nervous about him just like...surviving the trip. I would be devastated if anything were to happen to him. (Which my husband says is silly because if pets died often they wouldn't transport them....Just my silly anxiety brain I guess!)

So far I'm looking at British Airways as they allow pets in cargo and I can do a direct flight from Denver, CO to London.

Just looking for some reassurance/experience/tips!! Thanks everyone!
Non-Priority Spouse Visa - Wife
Submitted Online Application: 06/15/19
Bio-metrics Appt: 06/25/19
Mailed Docs to NY: 06/28/19
Docs Received Email: 07/05/19
Decision Made Email: 09/09/19

• Liked: 6110
Re: Nervous about moving my little fuzzy kitty buddy! :(
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »
Hey everyone!

Has anyone had experience with moving their cat? My little guy Socrates is about 7 years old. Domestic short hair. I know there is a whole post about the process but every time go to read it the whole thing seems really overwhelming with all the steps. Any tips on where exactly to start? So far the only thing I've done is get his crate.

I'm also so nervous about him just like...surviving the trip. I would be devastated if anything were to happen to him. (Which my husband says is silly because if pets died often they wouldn't transport them....Just my silly anxiety brain I guess!)

So far I'm looking at British Airways as they allow pets in cargo and I can do a direct flight from Denver, CO to London.

Just looking for some reassurance/experience/tips!! Thanks everyone!

First of all, it's natural to worry especially with such a big deal thing as flying your cat.  I can say that we brought our two safely over  when one of them was, I think 17 at the time and they both travelled very well.

It's been a while so I'm rusty as to the process but start by studying the .gov and usda websites. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/take-pet-to-foreign-country

Talk to your vet. Call the animal reception centre at your arrival centre, the cargo depot at your departure airport and the USDA with any questions about the process.

Between those things, you should be able to piece together exactly what to do!  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »
I brought my very anxious kitty, direct from Toronto to London which meant a 2 hr car ride first. It was stressful and expensive, but definitely do-able and more affordable than a transport company. Make lots of checklists with dates so you don't miss anything, and fill out your TOR form sooner than later and everything should be fine. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 07:14:52 AM »
We moved two cats from the US to Asia and are now looking to move four cats from Asia to the UK.  By far and away, moving our pets is the most stressful part of the international move experience.  It will be hard, and stressful, but it will likely be ok.  The statistics for moving pets are on your side.

I can't be of much help with the process, as we are using a pet relocation company, but I wish you luck!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:50:22 AM »
First of all, it's natural to worry especially with such a big deal thing as flying your cat.  I can say that we brought our two safely over  when one of them was, I think 17 at the time and they both travelled very well.

It's been a while so I'm rusty as to the process but start by studying the .gov and usda websites. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad [nofollow]
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/take-pet-to-foreign-country [nofollow]

Talk to your vet. Call the animal reception centre at your arrival centre, the cargo depot at your departure airport and the USDA with any questions about the process.

Between those things, you should be able to piece together exactly what to do!  :)

That brings me a lot of comfort knowing that your older cat made it ok! Yeah I think I've got it all down. My visa decision email just came today so I'm going to go to a USDA certified vet soon! :) Thank you for your response!

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:40 AM »
I brought my very anxious kitty, direct from Toronto to London which meant a 2 hr car ride first. It was stressful and expensive, but definitely do-able and more affordable than a transport company. Make lots of checklists with dates so you don't miss anything, and fill out your TOR form sooner than later and everything should be fine. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yeahh.. Definitely cannot afford a transport company. It's literally thousands of dollars cheaper if I do it myself. Yeah.. my cat has to go for a 6 hour car drive. :(

May I ask... What exactly is the TOR form? I think I have all the documents but I just want to make sure I got them all right.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 12:52:08 AM »
We moved two cats from the US to Asia and are now looking to move four cats from Asia to the UK.  By far and away, moving our pets is the most stressful part of the international move experience.  It will be hard, and stressful, but it will likely be ok.  The statistics for moving pets are on your side.

I can't be of much help with the process, as we are using a pet relocation company, but I wish you luck!

Thank you!!! I wish I could afford a moving company.. They are just so expensive! :(

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »
Thank you!!! I wish I could afford a moving company.. They are just so expensive! :(
We have to have one coming out of the country we are.  The process isn't clearly defined and changes nearly every week.  Like I just found out about a new requirement today that didn't exist even last week.

The process is much more straightforward and defined from US to UK.  You will be fine!

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:00:54 AM »
Yeahh.. Definitely cannot afford a transport company. It's literally thousands of dollars cheaper if I do it myself. Yeah.. my cat has to go for a 6 hour car drive. :(

May I ask... What exactly is the TOR form? I think I have all the documents but I just want to make sure I got them all right.
The TOR is transfer of residence form.  You will need it to bring your pet in without paying VAT.  Applying for the TOR number takes several weeks.  If you are moving sooner than that, you would pay VAT at entry and I think you can then reclaim it once you have your TOR number.  Or you can just pay the VAT and not bother with the TOR, if the money outlay isn't worth the hassle.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab