Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Must Do's in London/Broader UK  (Read 2666 times)

• Liked: 5
Must Do's in London/Broader UK
« on: September 09, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
After living several years in a city with limited things to do, my DH and I realise how much we missed out on when we lived in the UK before (and we had thought we did a fair bit).  Also, DH didn't live in London growing up so he hasn't done most touristy things that you tick off when your school aged, though I made an effort to do those things on a monthly basis in the first couple of years of living there.  I even had work friends get in on the fun and join me!  So taking those two notions together, we really want to focus on taking advantage of the enormous number of things to do in London specifically, but also in the broader UK. 

I would love to know what people consider their must do's.  On the touristy side, things like seeing the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London or going on the London Eye.  On the general London-y side, things like the Good Food Show or the Chelsea Garden Show.  What are your must do's?   

• Liked: 4985
Re: Must Do's in London/Broader UK
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »
I can’t stand the crowds and/or mobs of tourists, so I did one flower show and called it a day!  Never again.  LOL!

But loads to do, particularly if you don’t mind crowds. 

My new favourite thing is the Hidden City scavenger hunts.

But I really do try to avoid London.   ;D

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
London:

Visit The British Museum. Spend at least a full day there.
Ride  one of the silly, open-topped tour buses around town.
Visit to Chipotle. (Ok, that's not British, but they have one and it tastes the same as "at home"!)
Victoria and Albert Museum.
Natural History Museum.
Boat ride up to Hampton Court Palace, tour of same.
Watch the speakers at Marble Arch Speaker's Corner.
Stroll through Hyde Park.
West End Show?
Tour The Tower - allow a good full afternoon.
Lunch at the Sherlock Holmes Pub near Piccadilly Circus. (If you're a SH fan.)
Westminster Abby for vespers

Broader England:
Stonehenge & the Tor at Glastonbury/Avesbury(sp?)/Salisbury
WW2 tour of Dover
Canterbury Cathedral
Lindesfarne
Greenwich
New Forest National Park
Take a canal boat out in the west
Walk Hadrian's Wall
Tourist photo, Lands-End

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:53:31 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 70
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
We live in London and to be honest, we don't do a whole lot.  I keep telling my husband that we'll regret it if we ever leave.

My favourite things to take my family or friends to do when they visit are:
- Take the commuter boat from Central London (Westminster?) to Greenwich at high tide.  Cheaper than the tourist boats and the view is great!

- Cutty Sark is great in Greenwich - in fact, Greenwich is great!  The Royal Observatory is free, the Cutty Sark is fairly expensive, but worth it.

- Columbia Road flower market - go early!  All you need is about £10 for a pretty good sized bunch of flowers.  After you're done, chill with coffee and cake and watch others battle the crowds you missed because you woke up way earlier than is sane just to get flowers.

- Proms at the Royal Albert Hall - rock up after work, queue for a day ticket and sit on the floor with all the other plebs - it's grand!  We often leave at intermission and go get dinner.  We're just not very cultured and we tend to get hungry, but when the tickets are only £6 (bring cash!) you can justify leaving early if you've had your fill of culture. (late July - mid September)

- Wimbledon.  My friends swear by queueing.  I don't.  Log in and get your fastest mouse button fingers at the ready to get the returns the day before. (beginning to mid-July)

- Gordon's wine bar - when the weather is nice though.  It's busy and bustling and a bit crazy, but that's the joy of it!

- because I live along the river and adore it, I also spend some time each September seeing what's on for the Totally Thames Festival: https://totallythames.org/

- Moo Canoes - in East London, there may be other companies more central or West.  Rent a canoe or kayak at the basins and paddle along.

- Walk (or cycle) along Regents Canal - it's glorious!  Don't pick the nicest day, it'll be crammed.  But that bored day in October when it's a bit overcast and you're not sure what to do - this is it!  Start or finish at the Camden Lock, depending on your preference.  I'd rather end there, we do Paddington to Camden Lock (it's pretty long!) and grab a drink at The Underworld in Camden post walk.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
London:

Visit The British Museum. Spend at least a full day there.
Ride  one of the silly, open-topped tour buses around town.
Visit to Chipotle. (Ok, that's not British, but they have one and it tastes the same as "at home"!)
Victoria and Albert Museum.
Natural History Museum.
Boat ride up to Hampton Court Palace, tour of same.
Watch the speakers at Marble Arch Speaker's Corner.
Stroll through Hyde Park.
West End Show?
Tour The Tower - allow a good full afternoon.
Lunch at the Sherlock Holmes Pub near Piccadilly Circus. (If you're a SH fan.)
Westminster Abby for vespers

Broader England:
Stonehenge & the Tor at Glastonbury/Avesbury(sp?)/Salisbury
WW2 tour of Dover
Canterbury Cathedral
Lindesfarne
Greenwich
New Forest National Park
Take a canal boat out in the west
Walk Hadrian's Wall
Tourist photo, Lands-End

You had me at Chipotle. I squealed when I read that. Gotta get to London soon!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 10:04:52 PM »
I definitely take for granted how close to London I am. I go in for work meetings or the occasional concert/special occasion but definitely don't go in there enough just to explore.

From a food perspective, it's pricey but Camden Market is the BEEESSSTTTT (and so is Borough Market).

When my sister came to visit last month, we went to the Tate Modern art museum and we all really enjoyed that. I also waited about a half hour to get in and see the crown jewels but it was completely worth it (IMO). I have to say that Tower of London is one of the best tours I've ever gone on. There's also Underbelly (right in Southbank by the London Eye) which is good for a few drinks as well but is definitely more fun in the summer.

What are your hobbies/interests? What types of things are you normally drawn to checking out when you visit another country or when spending your free time in your current country?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 08:11:02 AM »
Here's where my family went this weekend

Steam engines and decorative metal work

You can just see the top of the beam in the background.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
Sewage treatment - Jimbo, you really know how to show your family a good time!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »
That place looks awesome Jimbo!!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
Sewage treatment - Jimbo, you really know how to show your family a good time!!!

We drove in the rain for an hour and a half to get there.  Believe it or not, it was Mrs CZ who really wanted to go. 

• Liked: 70
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »
Was it part of Open London?  It looks amazing!!

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
Was it part of Open London?  It looks amazing!!

Yes, it was free because of Open London.  It's open at other times as well.  I think it will be in steam again at the end of next month.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
Ok, I gotta say, that I don't think I would have thought to put touring a sewage plant on my 'to do' list.  ;)

For the Broader UK. Outside of England. Visit Glencoe and the Highlands in Scotland.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab