Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance Visa - Travel in and out of UK for holiday  (Read 1769 times)

• Liked: 8
Fiance Visa - Travel in and out of UK for holiday
« on: September 10, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »
Hello all, first post - long time lurker.

US - UK

My partner and I are looking between Fiance and Spouse Visa to apply for this coming January.

I know the "cheapest/quickest" way for settlement in UK is to get married in US - then apply for Spouse Visa. Fortunately, we meet all eligibility requirements for either visa.

My question(s):

if we do the Fiance visa -- will I be able to travel for holiday outside of the UK during that 6 months? Say we were to be granted the Fiance visa in March  - would I be able to leave the UK prior to getting married for a holiday? OR-- If we get married in May, could I leave with my partner for a holiday in June? I know I need to apply for the FLR after we get married, but does it have to be right away, or can it be a few months after? I don't want to give up my passport during the visa application time and not be able to take a holiday/honeymoon. We have a friend's wedding in the States in early July - I want to verify that if we go Fiance visa route, I would still be able to leave the UK and return without hassle.

I apologize if this seems a bit scrambled, jet lag and reading so many posts have me feeling nuts!
Priority Spouse Visa

JAN 7, 2020: submitted online application
JAN 13: biometrics taken
JAN 14: passport and documents sent via UPS
JAN 15: documents received in NY
JAN 16: email stating application received and being reviewed
JAN 30, 2020: email, decision made; 13WD from Bio
JAN 31, 2020: Passport Received! Yes!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Fiance Visa - Travel in and out of UK for holiday
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 05:23:21 AM »
Hello all, first post - long time lurker.

US - UK

My partner and I are looking between Fiance and Spouse Visa to apply for this coming January.

I know the "cheapest/quickest" way for settlement in UK is to get married in US - then apply for Spouse Visa. Fortunately, we meet all eligibility requirements for either visa.

My question(s):

if we do the Fiance visa -- will I be able to travel for holiday outside of the UK during that 6 months? Say we were to be granted the Fiance visa in March  - would I be able to leave the UK prior to getting married for a holiday? OR-- If we get married in May, could I leave with my partner for a holiday in June? I know I need to apply for the FLR after we get married, but does it have to be right away, or can it be a few months after? I don't want to give up my passport during the visa application time and not be able to take a holiday/honeymoon. We have a friend's wedding in the States in early July - I want to verify that if we go Fiance visa route, I would still be able to leave the UK and return without hassle.

I apologize if this seems a bit scrambled, jet lag and reading so many posts have me feeling nuts!

Welcome!  :)

To answer your question, yes you can vacation after entering on the fiancee visa and (since they changed the rules) also after you marry but before applying for FLR .. but... I would still strongly recommend marrying in the US for numerous reasons.

If you go for the fiancee visa, you have no way of knowing when it will be approved so it makes booking any trips a difficult proposition, not to mention making the arrangements for your wedding! You will have to make sure everything you sign up for is fully refundable and it's been recommended to take out wedding insurance too. This just adds to the expense.

Do not underestimate how stressful a visa application is. With the fiancee visa, you will have two in quick succession, and you'll havre the second hanging over your head on your wedding day.

You will have to pay for a whole extra visa application.

On the fiancee visa, you can't work, volunteer or use the NHS until after FLR has been approved.

It's so much less stressful just to pop across to the US, have a quick legal wedding then get your spouse visa out of the way. Then if you want to, you can still have a big "wedding" in the UK for your UK friends and family.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:03:24 PM »
If you go for the fiancee visa, ... [d]o not underestimate how stressful a visa application is. With the fiancee visa, you will have two in quick succession, and you'll havre the second hanging over your head on your wedding day.

This!  So much this.  Check out my signature... I did fiancee route, and it was an extra visa application, extra money, extra stress, took longer to get to ILR, .... Getting married in the US, and skipping that fiancee visa step is huge.  It wasn't until five years later, when we were gearing up for my ILR application that I realized my husband (my brand new, should-be-thrilled husband) was looking glum on our wedding day because he was worried about our FLR(M) application we were about to submit.  I went that whole day wondering if he was already regretting getting married.  :/

Then, in the days before my ILR, he looked exactly the same, and it all made sense.  He was afraid of losing me.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »
  It wasn't until fiveyears later, when we were gearing up for my ILR application that I realized my husband (my brand new, should-be-thrilled husband) was looking glum on our wedding day because he was worried about our FLR(M) application we were about to submit.  I went the whole day wondering if he was already regretting getting married.  :/

Awwww, that's so sad....  :\\\'(

Glad everything is perfect now!  :D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 01:28:10 PM »
Awwww, that's so sad....  :\\\'(

Glad everything is perfect now!  :D

As soon as my in-person FLR(M) application was approved the next day, he was fine.  It wasn't the jolliest of wedding days, but the rest of our honeymoon was magical.

I'm so glad I booked our application to immediately follow the wedding day, at least.  Otherwise it could have been the first few weeks of our marriage making me think he had regrets!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »
Absolutely NO ONE needs to know that you are already legally married.  But definitely do that in the USA and apply directly for a spouse visa.

We have a member who went to register with a GP to get an item of mail for the next visa.  The GP, well meaning, booked her in for a "booking in" appointment, sent her for blood work, etc.   Now she's having a hell of a time sorting out getting a bill, paying it, and providing proof of payment before she can even apply for her next visa... adding to the amount of time she's sitting at home bored, unable to work or volunteer.  Because of someone else's *bleep*-up.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »

To answer your question, yes you can vacation after entering on the fiancee visa and (since they changed the rules) also after you marry but before applying for FLR .. but... I would still strongly recommend marrying in the US for numerous reasons.

If you go for the fiancee visa, you have no way of knowing when it will be approved so it makes booking any trips a difficult proposition, not to mention making the arrangements for your wedding! You will have to make sure everything you sign up for is fully refundable and it's been recommended to take out wedding insurance too. This just adds to the expense.

Do not underestimate how stressful a visa application is. With the fiancee visa, you will have two in quick succession, and you'll havre the second hanging over your head on your wedding day.

On the fiancee visa, you can't work, volunteer or use the NHS until after FLR has been approved.

It's so much less stressful just to pop across to the US, have a quick legal wedding then get your spouse visa out of the way. Then if you want to, you can still have a big "wedding" in the UK for your UK friends and family.

figured this was the case. I'll try to make it happen.

Thank you all.
Priority Spouse Visa

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
This!  So much this.  Check out my signature... I did fiancee route, and it was an extra visa application, extra money, extra stress, took longer to get to ILR, .... Getting married in the US, and skipping that fiancee visa step is huge.  It wasn't until five years later, when we were gearing up for my ILR application that I realized my husband (my brand new, should-be-thrilled husband) was looking glum on our wedding day because he was worried about our FLR(M) application we were about to submit.  I went that whole day wondering if he was already regretting getting married.  :/

Then, in the days before my ILR, he looked exactly the same, and it all made sense.  He was afraid of losing me.

Yeah, I'm the worrier of the couple! I know for a fact that I'll be stressed to the max the whole 6 months. Let's not even talk about the not being able to work/anything -- I'll end up driving my partner mad!  I can only clean the flat so much!

Also, the extra money NOT spent on a both visas can go towards our holidays.
Priority Spouse Visa

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 06:15:35 PM »

Quick question - if we do go the annoyingly long Fiance Visa route - if we get married in the 5th month of the 6 month visa and apply for it after, if it takes longer than 1 month for the approval/decision, will I be forced to leave because the 6months of the visa is up?

Not sure how to word it exactly.  I'm worried about taking a holiday/honeymoon after the wedding and then when applying for FLR(M), the 6 months will run up before the new application is processed.
Priority Spouse Visa

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »

Quick question - if we do go the annoyingly long Fiance Visa route - if we get married in the 5th month of the 6 month visa and apply for it after, if it takes longer than 1 month for the approval/decision, will I be forced to leave because the 6months of the visa is up?

Not sure how to word it exactly.  I'm worried about taking a holiday/honeymoon after the wedding and then when applying for FLR(M), the 6 months will run up before the new application is processed.

I understand.  :)

You can marry, then honeymoon, then apply at the end of the 6 months just as long as it's before the period expires. As long as you have made a valid application before then, are then protected under section 3 c of the immigration rules. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/771652/3C-3D-Leave-v9.0ext.pdf
Be aware that until FLR is actually granted, you are still bound by the rules of the fiancee visa. No work, free use of the NHS etc.

But if you wanted to, you could pay extra for a premium appointment and your visa should be processed within 24 hours although sometimes it does take longer.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »

Been doing some research and I have to apply for FLR before the 6 months is up. No problem, but what if the application revision process takes longer and I don't get my passport back before the 6 months is up?
Priority Spouse Visa

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »
I understand.  :)

You can marry, then honeymoon, then apply at the end of the 6 months just as long as it's before the period expires. As long as you have made a valid application before then, are then protected under section 3 c of the immigration rules.

Be aware that until FLR is actually granted, you are still bound by the rules of the fiancee visa. No work, free use of the NHS etc.

But if you wanted to, you could pay extra for a premium appointment and your visa should be processed within 24 hours although sometimes it does take longer.

Thank you!

I understand a bit more now! I hope I don't have too many more questions - but as I gear up for the application at the end of the year, I'm sure I'll have plenty.

This website is a blessing.
Priority Spouse Visa

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »

Thank you!

I understand a bit more now! I hope I don't have too many more questions - but as I gear up for the application at the end of the year, I'm sure I'll have plenty.

This website is a blessing.

Ask away! It's what we're here for.  :)

• Liked: 10
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
Just want to echo opinions here. We went the fiance route back in April this year and just got my Spouse approval here in the UK yesterday. (yay!)

My wife and I have said if we were to do it all over again, we would have married in secret in the US and just gone straight to Spouse visa. It's double the paperwork and A LOT of wasted money going the fiance route. You can always get married in the UK for show for the family at a later date.
Priority Fiancé Visa Online App Submitted: 8 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 13 March 2019
Visa Received: 15 April 2019 (in-person pickup at VFS)
Total: 21 Business Days

FLR(M) approved: 24 September 2019
FLR(M) extended: 24 March 2022

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 08:52:08 PM »
Just want to echo opinions here. We went the fiance route back in April this year and just got my Spouse approval here in the UK yesterday. (yay!)

My wife and I have said if we were to do it all over again, we would have married in secret in the US and just gone straight to Spouse visa. It's double the paperwork and A LOT of wasted money going the fiance route. You can always get married in the UK for show for the family at a later date.

Appreciate it!
Priority Spouse Visa

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab