Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sad, but understandable  (Read 2414 times)

• Liked: 676
Sad, but understandable
« on: September 19, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/18/uk/poland-ambassador-open-letter-to-poles-brexit-gbr-intl/index.html 

(CNN)Poland's ambassador to the UK has urged the hundreds of thousands of Poles living in Britain to "seriously consider" leaving the UK after Brexit.

• Liked: 154
Re: Sad, but understandable
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:42:57 AM »
Half my neighbors are Polish, and I love my neighbors. This is sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 08:53:52 AM »
This request was made by a Polish Ambassador. It was not made by the Home Office or any British MP or government minister. Therefore I don't personally find it "sad". Brexit has made me furious, but quite frankly, this particular issue is Poland's business.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 12:16:12 PM »
He didn't really suggest that they pack up and leave, I think the headline at the top of the article is misleading. He urges them to apply for settled status in his open letter to them.

Regocki revealed that an "alarmingly low" number of the more than 800,000 Poles living and working in the UK have so far applied to stay after it leaves the European Union.

"To date, around 27% of Poles living in the British Isles have applied for settled status," he wrote. "This is an alarmingly low level, meaning that thousands of Polish citizens may be exposed to complications."

"With the dynamically developing situation regarding United Kingdom's exit from the EU ... I would like to draw your attention to the need to submit such an application if you want to stay in the UK after Brexit," he wrote.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
In his open letter, Regocki -- Warsaw's representative in London since 2016 -- added: "I also encourage you to seriously consider the possibility of returning to Poland and to familiarize yourself with the information available ... on social benefits in Poland, finding employment and finding places in schools for children." "The rapidly growing economy of our country creates more and more opportunities for citizens for development and having good living conditions in the country," he wrote. In an attempt to stop the brain drain that Poland has experienced since it joined the EU 15 years ago, an exodus that has had a negative impact on the country's economy, its government recently scrapped income tax for roughly 2 million young workers. The tax exemption was just one of many welfare handouts announced by the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party ahead of May's European elections.

Poland actually needs them to come home. ;D

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 04:46:21 PM »
But, aside from Poland.... the Daughter hangs around with a lot of immigrants, many of them from Eastern Europe. Very few of them have registered for the Settlement Scheme. It seems that they don't trust the government that far.

It's kind of like being registered for the DACA in the USA. I used to have students who were afraid to register for that, because it then meant that ICE knew precisely who they were and where they were, and if things turned bad, it could be used against them. So Trump comes to office, and guess what's happening? They're now pawns, waiting for the door to be kicked in.

So, while we registered for the EUSS, I don't blame others for not doing so.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:22:44 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab