Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Freelance Work & US Taxes  (Read 610 times)

• Liked: 104
Freelance Work & US Taxes
« on: October 01, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been considering doing a bit of freelance work to top up my income here (on top of my part-time job). I know I'd have to register as self-employed here in the UK and I'm confident that I can handle the taxes/self assessment on the UK side. I don't imagine it'd be more than around £200/month.

Where I feel like I'm in the weeds is when it comes to US tax implications of being self-employed. I've had a look around the IRS site and a few others but am having a hard time understanding how this would change my US tax situation/what forms I'd need to file/how to make sure it's done legally. In the past, I've always filed with TurboTax and it's been very, very straightforward, so I'm feeling a bit lost here if I'm honest!

I've been through quite of few similar threads on here but still feel a bit overwhelmed. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out or point me in the direction of a website that could!

Thanks in advance for any guidance :)
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

• Liked: 102
Re: Freelance Work & US Taxes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 05:13:05 PM »
In the States you'd file Schedule C and Form 8858. You'd want to check if the software includes Form 8858.

Sponsored Links