Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I've been headhunted  (Read 5982 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
I've been headhunted
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »
And it's my first interview in like 9 years.
Okay ,so not entirely sure if I want the job, but they're properly chasing me. The salary for the job was initially really low, but they bumped it up 3 times , so it now falls into the range I'm looking for.

So I will interview and see what the craic is.

But, now, what kind of questions would you ask of the company? Looking for ideas. 
Benefits, growth, training, etc?

Thoughts? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
Re: I've been headhunted
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 03:56:32 PM »
Wow! How flattering! Good luck PB.  :D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
I would think about the things you're not happy with in your current role and think about what you'd want in a new role/company. I ask a lot of questions about culture, company values, travel requirements, and try to make sure it'd be a fit for me too.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
I ALWAYS ask about career progression and what their training is like. Also ask about what their favourite thing about working for the business is if im feeling like its somewhere i would want to work.

Well done to you PB! Are there any deal breakers for you that would push you away from working there?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:24:03 PM »
Thanks, loving the ideas!

Dealbreakers. Definitely. Yes, will need to make some lists. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »
Good questions to ask:

What challenges will the person who takes the role face from the onset?

How will they define success?

What would they want you to accomplish in the first 30 days, 60 days, 90 days?

How is the team currently set up?  Who are your primary stakeholders?

Why is the role vacant?

I could go on all day long.  I also like to ask about retention, profitability, etc.  And ALWAYS look at Glassdoor.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 08:20:27 AM »
I'd be a little bit concerned about the initial low salary.  Where did it sit compared to the industry average?  If they were initially offering a salary that was well below the market rate, I would want to know what was the deal with that?  And if they could easily pull more money out of thin air twice, why did they not start off with that?  I would be very concerned that you've already gotten your next two pay raises, and if you do go to work there you won't see another one for a long time. 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 08:56:35 AM »
I'd be a little bit concerned about the initial low salary.  Where did it sit compared to the industry average?  If they were initially offering a salary that was well below the market rate, I would want to know what was the deal with that?  And if they could easily pull more money out of thin air twice, why did they not start off with that?  I would be very concerned that you've already gotten your next two pay raises, and if you do go to work there you won't see another one for a long time.
emphasis added

Wow.  I had not thought of that.  No wonder my career/salary history was so flat.  I do not know the game!  I'm so glad to be out of it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
Exactly has been in my thinking. Industry average ,that initial salary was utter pants.   I'm wondering if they've had trouble filling the role or because the job sounds hard. And if really, they're chasing me because I'm the only one they've got.   I've got like 25,000 questions. 

Like I told my husband last night, I didn't apply for this job, and I've said 'no' a few times and yet they've chased me down, so I'm in the position where I can objectively review it and see if it sounds worth it or not.  If anything, it gets my interviewing skills up to date. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »
Exactly has been in my thinking. Industry average ,that initial salary was utter pants.   I'm wondering if they've had trouble filling the role or because the job sounds hard. And if really, they're chasing me because I'm the only one they've got.   I've got like 25,000 questions. 

Like I told my husband last night, I didn't apply for this job, and I've said 'no' a few times and yet they've chased me down, so I'm in the position where I can objectively review it and see if it sounds worth it or not.  If anything, it gets my interviewing skills up to date. 

A perfect way to go into it.  And interview practice is invaluable, if nothing else. 

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 11:07:57 AM »

This attitude will serve you very well.  If they see that you aren't dying to get this job, they will do anything to give it to you.

Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen!

On the other hand, I was also thinking that there can't be that many jobs in your industry close by where you live.  From the sound of it, you seem embedded in your community, so moving might be a problem. So if this job has the right location, that could be a serious consideration. But you've probably already thought of that!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 11:31:38 AM »
On the other hand, I was also thinking that there can't be that many jobs in your industry close by where you live.  From the sound of it, you seem embedded in your community, so moving might be a problem. So if this job has the right location, that could be a serious consideration. But you've probably already thought of that!

This is exactly it.  I love my community, love where I live. It's a great quality of life here. But there is very little in the way of manufacturing industry, so job opportunities for the kind of work I do are few and far between. 
I will see what the craic is! 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »
Hadnt even thought of that but makes perfect sense.

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 09:39:31 AM »
Getting suspicious as the recruiter hasn't called me back , if I'm supposedly interviewing this week. Plus, I'd need to take a day's  holiday and take the train to it (even though the actual location itself is local).
They apparently have a US site (which gets great Glassdoor reviews) ,but the UK sites don't get good reviews. Hmmm. 
A few folks who left here (redundancies) work there, so I would need to reach out and see what they think. 

Not getting any warm and fuzzies here....  ??? ???
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
Getting suspicious as the recruiter hasn't called me back , if I'm supposedly interviewing this week. Plus, I'd need to take a day's  holiday and take the train to it (even though the actual location itself is local).
They apparently have a US site (which gets great Glassdoor reviews) ,but the UK sites don't get good reviews. Hmmm. 
A few folks who left here (redundancies) work there, so I would need to reach out and see what they think. 

Not getting any warm and fuzzies here....  ??? ???
I wouldnt necessarily be concerned by that as ive had receuiters speak to me up until the point the interview was booked and then pretty much radio silence until a few days after the interview to "follow up"

My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab