Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Camping - solid fuel stove recommendations?  (Read 3062 times)

• Liked: 674
Camping - solid fuel stove recommendations?
« on: October 05, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
Can anyone recommend a small solid-fuel stove for use when camping - you know, the kind that uses either sterno or blocks and can heat up a kettle of water?  I'd normally go with a sterno stove and sterno cooking gel, but you can't seem to get sterno cooking gel here, only chafing gel - which isn't the same thing. (Chafing gel burns at a lower temp.)  And the Sterno brand stoves I'm finding online are pretty pricey in the UK. Thanks!

• Liked: 768
Re: Camping - solid fuel stove recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 05:44:29 PM »
Can anyone recommend a small solid-fuel stove for use when camping - you know, the kind that uses either sterno or blocks and can heat up a kettle of water?  I'd normally go with a sterno stove and sterno cooking gel, but you can't seem to get sterno cooking gel here, only chafing gel - which isn't the same thing. (Chafing gel burns at a lower temp.)  And the Sterno brand stoves I'm finding online are pretty pricey in the UK. Thanks!
You need ethanol gel which they sell at camp stores like Go Outdoors.  Methanol is usually used in the chafing gel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 06:53:54 PM »
Thanks! I've been going nuts on Amazon trying to find something more sturdy than chafing gel!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 08:20:36 PM »

My daughter used one of those on her Duke of Edinborough award hike, so they do exist here.  But I believe the overwhelming amount of people use gas canisters, including me.  Simply because of the numbers, the gas ones are going to be cheaper, newer and better designs, and the fuel will be available in more places. 

Are you planning a camping trip?  Come down here and you can borrow all of our stuff. 

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 07:40:54 PM »
My daughter used one of those on her Duke of Edinborough award hike, so they do exist here.  But I believe the overwhelming amount of people use gas canisters, including me.  Simply because of the numbers, the gas ones are going to be cheaper, newer and better designs, and the fuel will be available in more places. 

Are you planning a camping trip?  Come down here and you can borrow all of our stuff.

Aww, thanks! I would, but I don't think the Daughter would go.  ;D  Assuming we can get a period without massive amounts of rain (which may be a while) there's a nice place not too far away that has campsites, but is still out in the country. Pretty tame for camping, as it has a little shop and stuff, but the Daughter hasn't been camping much in her life. I actually do miss it. I used to go hiking and camping when I was a kid, down in Big Bend (Texas) or New Mexico.  She's never really seen the Milky Way - always lived in the city, and it was summer when we'd be far enough out in the country, so she'd fall asleep before it was dark enough. I'd like her to get to see it, and I'd like to get to see it again before I get too old and creaky to go camping. And then there's the s'mores in the evening and bacon and eggs over a campfire in the morning. Except it'd be sterno.  :)

And, besides going back to the woods, now that it's chilly enough to have hopefully murdered the midgies.... There have been a few long-range weather forecasts starting to say we may have the worst winter in 30 years coming our way this year.  Our flat uses electric for lights and cooking, and has a gas-boiler for central hot-water heating. Which requires electricity for the thermostat/ignition. So, while it's quite unlikely, it occurred to me the other day that if the power did go in, say, the dead of January and they couldn't get it back on for a few days, we'd be getting seriously chilly. It might be nice to be able to have hot food and a cup of hot tea/coffee now and then. So, I was looking in the kitchen to see what supplies we had. Kettle grill with charcoal -  we could, in a pinch use that outside if the weather wasn't too bad. And my cast iron fondu kit.  Given the stand from the fondu kit with a good heat source under it, I could use the kettle to warm water and/or soup in an emergency situation. (And this is why I always like to have a place with a working fireplace, which we don't have here. Sadly.) And I'd also have to be able to warm water up to add to the aquariums or we'd have fishcicles in there.

Again, unlikely. The longest we've had without power was six hours, so far. But if we do have some really nasty weather, I want to be prepared.(I also have several litres of drinking water, and would fill up the bathtub immediately if the power went, as long as we had water pressure up here. Just in case. You can always flush the loo with a bucket that way.)

I hope the forecast is wrong. "Coldest winter since the 1960s" is kind of alarming, around the edges. ::)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 07:56:47 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 37
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
Hi Nan.....ever thought about just getting a camping/backpacking stove that just use the canisters that are readily available there.   They work great.....will boil water faster then my kettle.  Also inexpensive and easy to store.  Will try add the Amazon uk link ....hope the link works....am so bad at computer stuff....or just look up camping/backpacking stoves on amazon

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
Hi Nan.....ever thought about just getting a camping/backpacking stove that just use the canisters that are readily available there.   They work great.....will boil water faster then my kettle.  Also inexpensive and easy to store.  Will try add the Amazon uk link ....hope the link works....am so bad at computer stuff....or just look up camping/backpacking stoves on amazon

Thanks! Yeah, I had considered it, but given that we probably wouldn't use it too often and have minimal storage, and pretty much would be packing our stuff in and out on our backs, the less to carry the better. Now, if we had a car and if we end up doing this a lot, I definitely would invest in more gear than we have now. ;D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
Nan, when the zombie apocolypse happens I am going to find you.  You'll be ready for anything. 

• Liked: 37
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »

Thanks! Yeah, I had considered it, but given that we probably wouldn't use it too often and have minimal storage, and pretty much would be packing our stuff in and out on our backs, the less to carry the better. Now, if we had a car and if we end up doing this a lot, I definitely would invest in more gear than we have now. ;D

8).  I wasn’t talking about getting this for you for camping....I was saying you could keep it in your flat so that if the power goes out, you can use it inside to boil water for tea and such.  They really do work great.  And the kits don’t take up much space in storage but handy to have in case of emergency  :

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:51:47 AM »
The solid fuel stoves (Hexamine tablets) are lightweight and cheap and cheerful ,but take a bit of time to heat up.

You'd want a Trangia type of stove with a gel burner (uses alcohol gel) or uses a meths (methylated spirits) burner.

Personally, I have a tiny pocket sized Primus stove, that uses a gas canister and it heats up a kettle in no time. Works a treat and takes up no room at all. It also fits my 6 inch cast iron fry pan too and is really sturdy. 

I also have a 'rocket stove'  , which works amazing (burns solid fuel).  I got mine from Wild Stoves, but there is a Chinese one on Amazon and several iterations of it which gets great reviews. They're called Lixada and you can burn both twigs/sticks, etc and use meths/gel burner too.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
Nan, when the zombie apocolypse happens I am going to find you.  You'll be ready for anything. 

Right?

Though I'm not bothered about surviving.  Happy for them to eat me alive.  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
I hope the forecast is wrong. "Coldest winter since the 1960s" is kind of alarming, around the edges. ::)

British tabloids at their finest. Every summer is a scorcher - the hottest since records began.  Every winter is doomsday - the coldest and snowiest since records began. 

Ha, I can only laugh. When there was the 'Beast from the East' the whole country was crippled. Except we sat in a spot with glorious blue skies without a single bit of wind. Stunning winter weather.   We did get slammed in 2010, so much snow that never left the grounds for weeks. 
Suppose global warming does mean that we're going to get the extremes though, for sure. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 11:58:41 AM »

Yeah, I'll be ready for anything. And then forget the matches and the can-opener.  ;)

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »

[/quote

Ah, interesting. Are the gas canisters safe? I've never dealt with one before. It's always been sterno or wood...]

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
The gas canister stoves are very safe.   You want the kind that screws on and doesn't puncture.  Then you can take the stove off and the gas remains in the canister, store for ages and no problem.  Primus fuel is excellent. Coleman, Jetboil, Campingaz are also easily found. 

Errrr, wouldn’t light them inside though if that was the suggestion!!! :o
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:11:07 PM by phatbeetle »
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links