Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Camping - solid fuel stove recommendations?  (Read 3043 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Camping - solid fuel stove recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
British tabloids at their finest. Every summer is a scorcher - the hottest since records began.  Every winter is doomsday - the coldest and snowiest since records began. 

Ha, I can only laugh.

Ha ha!  And my husband ALWAYS believes them.  He cracks me up.  He does not appreciate my panto reactions of "Oh no!"  and "The COLDEST WINTER EVER.... even though we can't tell you what the weather is at this EXACT moment!"

• Liked: 672
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 04:30:42 PM »
The gas canister stoves are very safe.   You want the kind that screws on and doesn't puncture.  Then you can take the stove off and the gas remains in the canister, store for ages and no problem.  Primus fuel is excellent. Coleman, Jetboil, Campingaz are also easily found. 

Errrr, wouldn’t light them inside though if that was the suggestion!!! :o

Yeah, I think it might have been. (?)
I've ordered the ethanol jel canisters already, as I can use them indoors or outdoors. Trying to not end up with too much stuff (one for indoor use, one for camping use) as we just don't have the room. Hopefully I'll not need them, and I can always use them in the fondu thingy to make fondu if the camping trip doesn't work out!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »
Yeah, I think it might have been. (?)
I've ordered the ethanol jel canisters already, as I can use them indoors or outdoors. Trying to not end up with too much stuff (one for indoor use, one for camping use) as we just don't have the room. Hopefully I'll not need them, and I can always use them in the fondu thingy to make fondu if the camping trip doesn't work out!

Reminds me of when I was a Brownie.. we cooked Lorne sausage on a tin can over a candle... indoors!  :o  ;D

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »
Having tried Lorne sausage once... what exactly is in it? It was.... different.

I had a crazy uncle who tried to get us to cook hot dogs by spearing them lengthwise on a coat hanger and inserting it into an electric plug.  He didn't get invited over to our house very often.  ::) ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 08:03:24 PM »
Having tried Lorne sausage once... what exactly is in it? It was.... different.

Haha, cooked over a candle it tasted a bit different to me too!  ;D

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/a-history-of-square-sausage-including-a-recipe-for-making-your-own/

• Liked: 957
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 10:20:52 PM »

I had a crazy uncle who tried to get us to cook hot dogs by spearing them lengthwise on a coat hanger and inserting it into an electric plug.  He didn't get invited over to our house very often.  ::) ;D

I feel like every family has one of those uncles!

I've been following this thread realising how smart this is, to have a camping stove of some sort in case of a power outage. Definitely adding that to my list for next paycheck! Bought a better water filter with this one. (British Berkefeld, cheaper than Big Berkey but we can upgrade the filters to theirs if needed. So far much much better than tap water!)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 37
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 03:27:15 AM »
The gas canister stoves are very safe.   You want the kind that screws on and doesn't puncture.  Then you can take the stove off and the gas remains in the canister, store for ages and no problem.  Primus fuel is excellent. Coleman, Jetboil, Campingaz are also easily found. 

Errrr, wouldn’t light them inside though if that was the suggestion!!! :o

https://wanderingprivateer.com/can-you-use-a-camping-stove-indoors/

I think it would be perfectly fine to use one indoors unless your using it under a blanket or in a closet.  The main fear is CO poisonings.....just use near an open window....it’s all about ventilation.  It’s not like it’s going to be on for hours.   Takes 3 minutes to boil water or heat soup up.    Or, just go outside to use it if your afraid to use it indoors.  The main point of the story is to just have something you can use in case of power outage to boil some water or heat something up.....the canisters I use for my little stove are the isobutane/propane mix ones.....I’d use it indoors if the power was out for a long time and I wanted soup or tea.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:29:32 AM by Honolulubeachbunny »

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
Yeah, I'm not worried about carbon monoxide at all. I would be worried that I'd do something wrong and make the canister explode or something! That may be for farther down the line. For now I've got a box of "eco friendly ethanol chafing dish warmers" on the way, and they should do it. They were not terribly expensive. When they get here I'll fire one up and see how well it works. I do remember that the last time we had a power outage it was making me crazy - for the entire time, all I wanted was a cup of tea and I couldn't have one. Didn't want one BEFORE the power went out, but only because the power went out....  And if they don't work well I'm not out too much money. I could always use them to start a campfire.

I sorted out the aquarium problem, though. Kinda. I have large freezer bags. Which could be filled with water and then held close to us under a blanket. Human body temperature is warmer than the aquariums need to be (I keep them at about 75F) so if wrapping them in heavy towels doesn't keep the temperature from dropping too much we can warm bags of water and then float them in the tank. And I could also use some of the heat packs that I get for wearing on my back, I guess. Just set them under the towels against the glass....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 09:06:50 AM »
I would be worried that I'd do something wrong and make the canister explode or something!

Nah, don't wrap them up or cover them or enclose them and you're good to go! Very safe! 

Not just limited to cups of tea, I've made 3 course meals and baked on my wee canister stove.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm not worried about carbon monoxide at all. I would be worried that I'd do something wrong and make the canister explode or something! That may be for farther down the line. For now I've got a box of "eco friendly ethanol chafing dish warmers" on the way, and they should do it. They were not terribly expensive. When they get here I'll fire one up and see how well it works. I do remember that the last time we had a power outage it was making me crazy - for the entire time, all I wanted was a cup of tea and I couldn't have one. Didn't want one BEFORE the power went out, but only because the power went out....  And if they don't work well I'm not out too much money. I could always use them to start a campfire.

I sorted out the aquarium problem, though. Kinda. I have large freezer bags. Which could be filled with water and then held close to us under a blanket. Human body temperature is warmer than the aquariums need to be (I keep them at about 75F) so if wrapping them in heavy towels doesn't keep the temperature from dropping too much we can warm bags of water and then float them in the tank. And I could also use some of the heat packs that I get for wearing on my back, I guess. Just set them under the towels against the glass....

Lol....they’re  pretty easy to use.  If you can screw something in and unscrew something .....you’ve got it made.  You can always go into a trespass store or other camping store and ask to look at them.   They also come in handy if you want to do a day exploring somewhere and want to bring a picnic lunch where you can find a nice spot to have lunch and a cup of tea.  Saves spending £ on an expensive lunch and you can just relax in a nice park or find a nice side spot if doing a car ride somewhere and find a nice area to have a picnic. 

Yeah, am trying to figure out if I want to do an aquarium there.  Love my aquarium, but don’t know if I want to get back into the whole having to use a heater on one.  In Canada, had to use a heater, here, all I need is a filter.  Sadly, keep waiting for my fish to die so I can dismantle and dispose of it but the damn fish won’t die even though I haven’t cleaned it for months....lol.  Am going to have to find time to catch them and bring to pet store and give them to be put up for adoption.  All the fish are over 3 years old and they just keep going.  My clown loach that I bought as a baby is over 2 inches long and is the sorriest excuse for a snail eater that was ever born.  2 1/2 years ago my aquarium sprung a leak so had to get a new one.  Had a snail problem then so it gave me a chance to bleach everything to try solve the problem...thought it had worked....last six months am infested with snails again.....if I fried them and served with garlic sauce don’t think my clown loach would eat one.... ::)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »
Not just limited to cups of tea, I've made 3 course meals and baked on my wee canister stove.

Baked?  Can you please elaborate? Ovenless here, and missing so many things.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »
Well it's a bit more like 'steam baking' rather than real baking:

https://trailcooking.com/fauxbaker/

However, I'm droolin over these! I'm seriously tempted to get one shipped to my folk's house and bring it back with me
https://www.backpackeroven.com/

Any reason why a traditional kind of toaster oven/countertop oven wouldn't work for you KImberly?  That's a bit easier then the kind of 'backpacking baking' I'm talking about. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 10:11:02 AM »

https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/prepare-your-aquarium-for-winter-power-outages

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »
Well it's a bit more like 'steam baking' rather than real baking:

https://trailcooking.com/fauxbaker/

However, I'm droolin over these! I'm seriously tempted to get one shipped to my folk's house and bring it back with me
https://www.backpackeroven.com/

Any reason why a traditional kind of toaster oven/countertop oven wouldn't work for you KImberly?  That's a bit easier then the kind of 'backpacking baking' I'm talking about.

No, a traditional thing would work, and we have considered getting one when we start thinking about bread and cakes and things. We just don't have the space for it in our utili-kitchen, so we talk ourselves out of it and remind each other that one day we will have a real kitchen with a real oven.  We're getting by with two single-burner electric hobs (that we can stow in the space above the clothes washer, under the worktop), a microwave, and a slow cooker (which is stowed in another room when not in use).

But I thought, if it was practical and economical at all, a camp oven sounded doable.  It could be stored out in the shed or the stables until we got desperate for fresh bread.  But I think we'll wait it out.  If I get desperate again, I can just follow the steam baking technique on my hob.  :)  Thanks for that!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
Well! If you have more space outside, you can get gas camping ovens, which might be a better idea?

Here are a few:

Crusader 30L Portable

Kampa Freedom
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab