Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Provisional Question  (Read 1319 times)

• Liked: 250
Provisional Question
« on: October 09, 2019, 04:54:17 PM »
Hi all,

I am planning to apply for my provisional tonight since I have a driving lesson planned in a couple months. I am a little confused, though. It says I can apply online and makes it seem like I can do all of this real quick. But then it says if I don't have a UK passport, I have to "send an identity document." So am I applying online or through the mail? There is no address to post, at least not from what I can see. Am I supposed to do it online and then send them my documents after? Help!

This is what it says:

"Before you start
It costs £34 to apply online. You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card.

You’ll need to provide:

an identity document unless you have a valid UK biometric passport
addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
your National Insurance number if you know it
You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.

Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online. It may take longer if DVLA need to make additional checks."

But as far as I can tell they need the original document, not a scan or anything.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 676
Re: Provisional Question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
Yep. I had to send my passport in to them, which they sent back quickly.

I applied online. They sent me a form that required I affix a photo to and then to get an official (dr, lawyer, clergy, etc., if memory serves) to sign off on verifying I was who I said I was. I had to send that with the passport back to them via the mail.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »
Yep. I had to send my passport in to them, which they sent back quickly.

I applied online. They sent me a form that required I affix a photo to and then to get an official (dr, lawyer, clergy, etc., if memory serves) to sign off on verifying I was who I said I was. I had to send that with the passport back to them via the mail.

I have to get someone "official" to sign off??? I don't know anyone like that and it takes weeks to get an appt with my GP, I don't want to make an appt just for him to sign off for who I am. This is news.. :(

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 05:51:33 PM »
Unless I used my friend who is a licensed premises holder (he runs a pub), I wouldn't have known anybody, either... Nan, are you sure that was for your license, and not something else?  I don't remember having to do that.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
Hi. My memory does play tricks on me, so  I've got the photocopy of it in front of me. it says "Driver Licensing Online - Application Completion Form"

blah..blah.. "must return within 28 days"  blah blah.... "You must fill in and sign this form and enclose a photo of yourself"....

"1 Proof of Identity - as your identity could not be verified you must fill in the sections below that apply to you"....

Part A  Valid UK passport holders (asks for info)

Part B Documents enclosed to prove your identity (in my case I used my Irish passport card - I remember there was a list of documents that would suffice, but don't have that now)

Part 2 Signing a photo to verify your identity.... hold a valid GB photocard license and am resident in the UK,. know the applicant and confirm it is a true likeness, I have signed the back of the photo....  They then ask for that person's info, DL#, address, daytime phone number.

So, sorry, the professional person must have been for one of the Irish documents. For this one I believe it can't be a spouse or anyone living at your address though. (I didn't keep a copy of the second page, but I'm pretty sure that's right.)

They got it all back to me really quickly.

From  https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

Who can sign your form and photo
The person signing the form and photo must:

hold a valid GB photocard driving licence
be resident in the UK
know you personally
not be a relative
not be living at the same address as you
Suitable people include a current or retired:

local business person or shopkeeper
librarian
professionally qualified person, for example a lawyer, teacher or engineer
police officer
bank or building society staff member
civil servant
minister of religion
magistrate
local councillor
Member of Parliament, Assembly Member, Member of the Scottish Parliament or Member of the European Parliament
If they’re retired, you’ll need to write their former job on the form, for example ‘retired teacher’.

DVLA will contact the person who signs your application.

You do not need someone to sign your photo if you’ve agreed to have DVLA check your identity by:

contacting HM Passport Office
providing an up to date passport, travel document or BRP
providing your EU or EEA national identity card (except for ID cards issued by the Swedish Post Office)
You do not need someone to sign your photo if you’re renewing your licence with a new photo.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:10:18 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 06:43:42 PM »
It was easy. I paid the fee, answered the questions and since I didn't put in a UK passport number, it took me to the end then said "we need a bit more from you." They will mail me the documents, I will send off what they need, then BAM! Provisional :D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 07:07:34 PM »
It was easy. I paid the fee, answered the questions and since I didn't put in a UK passport number, it took me to the end then said "we need a bit more from you." They will mail me the documents, I will send off what they need, then BAM! Provisional :D
You will not need to send in your passport.  Only your BRP. It reads like they need both but that is only if you are an EU citizen that cannot prove their identity.

It is super easy.  Wait for the form, fill it out, enclose your passport photo and BRP and send it off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
You will not need to send in your passport.  Only your BRP. It reads like they need both but that is only if you are an EU citizen that cannot prove their identity.

It is super easy.  Wait for the form, fill it out, enclose your passport photo and BRP and send it off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All of this.  All of it.  ;)

• Liked: 31
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
All of this.  All of it.  ;)

Just confirming that it was very easy.  I got the form on a Saturday.  On Monday I mailed it back with my BRP and a passport photo, and I was careful to sign the form within the space allotted.  The form clearly stated that if you have a BRP you don't need anyone to sign your photo.

I received my BRP back the following Tuesday (8 days later) and my provisional license came the next day.  The form said if you had concerns about getting your BRP back you could enclose a prepaid envelope with tracking, but I didn't do that.

I've scheduled my theory test for next week and have had 2 driving lessons.  I've got until June to pass my driving test.  Fingers crossed!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab