Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit food stuff  (Read 1928 times)

• Liked: 672
Brexit food stuff
« on: October 10, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
Ok, so I was talking to an employee of Waitrose on his break today while sitting in my favorite cafe. Was surprised to hear that almost all their pastries and breads are actually made in France, then frozen to be baked locally here. They ship bread dough from France to cook in Scotland. (!) And that most of the stuff in their deli counter was from the EU as well.  Soooo, if you're one of their customers and you can't live without your chocolate croissant or moldy stinky cheese, you might want to buy some and freeze 'em in case things get jammed up at Calais in a few weeks.  8)

I asked him if they'd made arrangements with local bakers, and he said he didn't think so. But that they'd tried to use UK bakers once before and that it didn't go well. Hmmm.

• Liked: 957
Re: Brexit food stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 08:20:56 PM »
Yeah, I just discovered the joy that is Ocado and Picard frozen veggies. I'm going to stock up, but I wish we had a bigger freezer. The UK is so dependent on the EU for a large portion of its food.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:10:47 AM »

There was a recent series on the BBC called something like "What Britain Buys" and it was all about the amazing amount of things we import and export.  For example, we export a huge amount of high quality salmon in the belly of every plane that leaves Heathrow.  That's the reason you now pay extra to check any bags in the hold.  Then we import huge amounts of cheaper salmon and cod from other places.  The amount of jobs and industry involved is staggering.     The series doesn't hit you over the head with the obvious truth that all of this will be impacted by Brexit , it simply lays out the vast scale of trading this country does.   

Worth a watch.

• Liked: 325
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:55:18 AM »
I worry about fresh fruit.  I use a lot of lemons in cooking, and go through a bag of lemons every week.  Also, a bag of oranges a week.  Grapes.  Bananas.  I fear none of it will be available.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
I worry about fresh fruit.  I use a lot of lemons in cooking, and go through a bag of lemons every week.  Also, a bag of oranges a week.  Grapes.  Bananas.  I fear none of it will be available.
I've been buying lemon and lime juice because of not trusting the availability after brexit. Biona organic makes a good one! I also buy bananas and freeze them for later use. Not the same, but it should cover us for a bit!

I'm a bit worried what will happen even if we don't crash out. :(

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab