Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where do you buy furniture?  (Read 3051 times)

• Liked: 5
Where do you buy furniture?
« on: October 13, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
I am interested in where people buy furniture.  Maybe some off the beaten path stuff that is still affordable.  I know John Lewis, Ikea, Habitat, etc.  I was thinking more along the lines of primarily online stores that I wouldn't be as aware of not having lived here for very long.  For example, I just learned of loaf.com.  Price is middle class - not necessarily flat packed but not 2,000 GBP for a sofa.

What are your suggestions?

• Liked: 676
Re: Where do you buy furniture?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »
I know you prefer not flat-packed, but I furnished our place here out of Ikea - the whole house for under, I think,  £2,500 (including linens and dishes). Except for two really nice living room chairs, bought at the Salvation Army for £125 each..

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
Wayfair.co.uk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
Wayfair.co.uk
I can't stay off the Wayfair app.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 70
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
Our first original flat was all IKEA back in 2006 and I think we did the entire 1 bedroom flat for under £3,000.

As we upgraded (IKEA just doesn't always last!) we ended up hitting up auctions and charity shops for the wooden furniture, we went a bit 1960s Scandi.
www.made.com
Ercol (they also have a factory outlet)
Sofa Workshop
If you're in London, particularly the East, Unto This Last is good for shelving and tables.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
I am an upholsterer so I am all for the long lasting and quality furniture pieces and I prefer to upcycle vintage/ antique chairs, stools, etc and bring them back to life with a bespoke and fun twist, and also reduce landfill waste : )

Vintage shops, charity shops have unique and solid pieces. I'm in the Manchester area and before I got into upholstering, we bought our furniture from Arighi Biancci, or independent shops online, a bit on the expensive side but when hte quality is very good, it'll ast for years and years to come : )

"When life gives you lemons, squirt the juice in the eyes of your enemies"

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:07:46 PM »
I am an upholsterer so I am all for the long lasting and quality furniture pieces and I prefer to upcycle vintage/ antique chairs, stools, etc and bring them back to life with a bespoke and fun twist, and also reduce landfill waste : )

Vintage shops, charity shops have unique and solid pieces. I'm in the Manchester area and before I got into upholstering, we bought our furniture from Arighi Biancci, or independent shops online, a bit on the expensive side but when hte quality is very good, it'll ast for years and years to come : )

Awesome!  Taking an upholstery class is fairly high on the list of things I really feel I should do.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 01:23:22 PM »
Awesome!  Taking an upholstery class is fairly high on the list of things I really feel I should do.

You would love it. That's how I started and then I got hooked and I am doing an Upholstery Business Course now. You don't realize how much work, care, patience, love and frustration sometimes goes into upholostering until you do it. Hours and hours of manual labour, creating something with care for someone's home . Do it!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:26:42 PM by Pitufina »
"When life gives you lemons, squirt the juice in the eyes of your enemies"

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »
You would love it. That's how I started and then I got hooked and I am doing an Upholstery Business Course now. You don't realize how much work, care, patience, love and frustration sometimes goes into upholostering until you do it. Hours and hours of manual labour, creating something with care for someone's home . Do it!!

Thank you for the inspiration!  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 08:08:12 AM »
  I can understand your enthusiasm because I once fixed up a VW campervan.   Strangely, I found redoing the seats was the most rewarding part.  It looked great and made me happy every time I sat on them.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
I moved out from my boyfriend's and into my own flat last year and furnished it almost completely from charity shops (British Heart Foundation, mainly).  All apart from the bed, which I bought new.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »
I moved out from my boyfriend's and into my own flat last year and furnished it almost completely from charity shops (British Heart Foundation, mainly).  All apart from the bed, which I bought new.

Seems like charity shops generally have good furniture. Never the latest/classic trends of course, but I'm sitting on a (free!) second sofa and it does the trick!

I'm on an electric bed now - normally would never go for a "second hand" bed but it's been in storage because a friend moved out of the UK. It's a motorised "adjustable" bed which has been hilarious. I feel about 60. But there's actually nothing more amazing than a slightly angled nap. The thing folds you up like a hotdog if you're not careful   :D

A good bed...goes a long way...best to buy new (unless you get lucky, like I did!)

• Liked: 250
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 11:21:29 AM »
Got our furniture at the British Heart Foundation!

Got a sofa, China hutch and a bedside table for less than £300

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab