Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Permanent NI number  (Read 1677 times)

• Liked: 0
Permanent NI number
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:15:42 PM »
Hi all !

I will be moving to the UK on a working holiday visa this spring. But before that, i thought of visiting London to check out how life goes on there ! I'll be going there on the 13th of Jan...for a couple of weeks.

I need to know whether I can apply for a permanent National Insurance number without having a job (and therefore a temporary NIN). If so...will I be able to get an interview within 2 weeks ?? This seems to be a complicated process....need help !!  ::)

• Liked: 1
Re: Permanent NI number
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »
Hi and welcome.  I suggest posting your question in the jobs section so someone might be able to answer it!  Best of luck!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 01:52:18 PM »
First - where are you coming to the UK from that you're on a working holiday visa?

Second - it is possible to get a job without an NI number first.  It's also possible to get the number first without a job.  Just depends on the area you end up in and how they do things.  Some people here couldn't get appointments until they had jobs, and others (like myself) were able to get the interview & number whilst we were looking for work.

You won't, however, be able to secure a number until you are fully legal to work and reside in the UK.  So you would not be able to apply for one when coming over for a "visit."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 02:43:03 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the reply Peedal !

To answer your question...I'm coming from Dubai (UAE)...i've already been granted the Working Holiday visa....and so this "visit" is actually my first entry into the UK with this WH visa. However, this trip of 2 weeks is to try and open a bank account and perhaps get myself an NI number and search for a job. So my exit out of UK will be a "holiday" of sorts...I will be arriving for the long term in spring...

I plan to base myself in London....perhaps the west or north...as close as possible to the centre so that i can go about meeting potential employers / agencies without having to bother much about commuting !

You mentioned the "area" where I end up. Does this mean that different boroughs in London have different ways of doing things ? Can i get my NI number from Borough A when i'm actually living in Borough B ?

And yes...this visa will give me the LEGAL right to work in ANY job i want...without any restrictions. So does this mean that i can go ahead and apply for the NI number ?

Thanks again for being patient enuf to answer me !! :)

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 02:53:29 PM »
Since you're entering on the visa for this trip, then you are legal to work from when you enter the UK and yes you can try and get an appointment for an interview - but I wouldn't hold my breath! 

Use this link to find out what office you apply at for where you're going to be living, if you already know.  I would assume that you'd have to have a permanent address in order to apply.  But I could be wrong about that.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Page=/Home/AboutUs/OurOffices

Different areas of the entire country have different ways of doing this.  In fact, I think it all depends on who you get on the other end of the phone on any given day!  I was lucky - they even "double booked" me because the lady knew that one of the other people who already had an appointment that day had a history of not showing up.  So she told me to be early and just wait and see.  And she was right!  The other guy didn't show up and I got seen.  But I had a very easy time with my NI number - and unfortunately I think I'm in the minority!

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 02:59:52 PM »
No I wont be waiting with bated breath ! But I guess I'll go to the Inland Rev office and personally get an appointment and try and sus out what info they require.

I'm hoping they dont require a permanent address. I should think not. People in London are moving around so frequently so I wouldnt expect them to require a permanent address. If they do...I'm up the creek !

What sort of questions do they pose at the interview ? What documentation can you remember carrying along with you ?

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »
Use the link, though, because it's not the Inland Revenue you interview with - its Department of Work and Pensions through the JobCentres.

You obviously have to prove that you are legal to work in the UK - so you'll need your passport.  You'll also need to have details of every trip in and out of the UK.  When they booked my appointment, they sent me a pamphlet in the post with a list of documents they needed.  Honestly, it was summer of 2003, so I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what I took with me.

But be prepared - the interview took about an hour!  They really are trying to ensure that only those who are entitled to them get NI numbers - because once you have one you can (attempt) to apply for benefits and such and they're trying to crack down on benefit fraud.

Good luck!

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 03:54:30 PM »
i provided a copy of my lease (they did want proof of residence) they took a copy of my passport with visa in it.  they wanted a letter of employment (i took a copy of my contract) as well as a pay slip.

And it was a bit long, they walk through the entire application with you.

You can work without a NI, and if you get it expidited fast they didn't take any higher tax out of my paycheck.  good luck,

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 04:01:39 PM »
Proof of residence - So if i was to reside in a flatshare...how does this work ? Do i get a rental contract or lease from whoever is in charge of the flat ?

Ah hah ! So they DO want proof of employment... I was under the impression that I could apply for a NIN without a job...thus saving myself a bit of time !

Thanks Aimiloo n Peedal ! You guys were mighty helpful !

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 04:11:45 PM »
You can apply for your NI number before getting a job.  It's just that sometimes you'll get told you can't, even though you can.

I got my NI number way before I was working - whilst I was looking for work.

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 04:13:41 PM »
peedal is right, some do get them before working.....i'm just saying he asked for all my stuff and when i booked the appointment, they asked.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 04:18:05 PM »
hmmm....so i guess i'll give it a shot this time when i come to the UK...its not like they're gonna refuse me a NIN later just cos they refused this time right ? ;)

I'm currently a Senior Accounts Assistant. Would 3-4 months be an average job-hunting period to land a decent (read: perm) job ? Are office / clerical jobs aplenty ? How much can I expect to get paid...I'm assuming I'd need at least 400 a week to survive in London !

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 04:30:37 PM »

I'm currently a Senior Accounts Assistant. Would 3-4 months be an average job-hunting period to land a decent (read: perm) job ? Are office / clerical jobs aplenty ? How much can I expect to get paid...I'm assuming I'd need at least 400 a week to survive in London !

Well let's see.  It took me a month to apply and meet with agencies.  In another 3 weeks i was up for one perm and one contract to perm job (took the latter due to the large difference in salary/bennies/bonus and decided to chance it).  I've been told that was quick.  (i was made permanent after 2 months at the temp to perm job....

As far as £.  I live in Zone 1 in London (which i love).  We pay 310 a week in rent, but if we were just roomates instead of husband and wife that would be 150 a week.

But if you're flatsharing i'd still think you'd need to make a little more than 400 a week.  Some temp jobs pay by the day (like mine), some by the hour.  I'm babbling here.

Anyway look at the cost of flats and flatsharing.  Factor in travel and living costs-also take out TAX.  That should help.

It's an expensive city......but there are affordable areas to live.  Just depends on what ou're looking for and willing to spend or give up

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
Hi there,

I applied for my number 2 years after I starting working..mainly because my company told me they secured the number for me when in fact they crossed my record with someone else's so my number wasn't mine afterall! Anyway...I had my interview last spring and had to show proof of address (tenancy agreement and utility bill with my name and address), and proof of employment (my contract and pay slips) as I had been working, but as Peedal said you can secure a number before you start working. They also wanted bank statements and proof of income. As the others said, the form is actually completed during your interview and they asked all sorts of questions...they even rang me two days after my interview to ask about a stamp on my passport (I'd recently been to the US and they wanted to know for how long).

Anyway...an important caution for you: my company originally put me in the 'emergency' tax code because I didn't have a number, and this meant I got a temporary number and paid extra tax, which I then had to get that back. That being said, I'd try to get the number first so that you can give it to your employer once you are hired.

The forms on the website will give you all the info, and included is a check list of what to bring to your interview. In London the location of the Jobs centre you go to depends on your passport--they gave me the location when I rang them up.

Good luck!
Elizabeth

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 05:02:57 PM »
If you'll look in the On the Job board, there are several of our personal experiences listed.  Should give you an idea of what you'll need to take to the NIN interview.  And yep, be prepared to be denied an interview if you're not currently working.  Up here in Newcastle, they won't give you one unless you are CURRENTLY employed.

Sponsored Links