Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So, reality check please? (Ponderings)  (Read 2288 times)

• Liked: 674
So, reality check please? (Ponderings)
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
So, two things I'm pondering today.

The first is the purpose of the Queen. She seems to serve no actual modern purpose, other than being fabulously wealthy and doing good deeds (as also with her family). But in considering, am I correct in assuming that she's kind of like a mascot for the country, like there are mascots for sports teams? That is, she gives the English people something to sort of coalesce around? Kind of a visual center for the English popular culture? Or am I reading too much into it?

The Second - I keep seeing news reports about Brexit breakthroughs re: NI Backstop, then no breakthrough, then good "music around" Brexit, then no, it's not well. The last thing I heard this afternoon was the the Brits had to present a written up, formal plan to the EU by tonight (?) for it to be discussed at the EU council on Thursday. So if they miss that date... is it a hard Brexit?  I've also read that Parliament passed a law requiring Johnson to request an extension. (Correct? They didn't like change or dismiss that?) If so, if he doesn't and 31 October hits, then it's Hard Brexit, correct? Would he go to jail or get a slap on the wrist?  I also read that the Queen took advice as to if she could dismiss him or not. (No idea if that's true or rumor.) So if he doesn't request an extension, she could, presumably, replace him? At what point would she do so?  And does it work that if any one of the EU members will not accept an extension, it's game over?  I've been trying to keep up, but am drowning under it all.... or are we still at "nobody has a clue"?

• Liked: 957
Re: So, reality check please? (Ponderings)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »
I think we are still at "nobody has a clue" but I've honestly not been following closely for my own mental health!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:00:46 PM »
Sigh

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:01:11 PM »
For your queenie query: she brings in a LOT of money for tourism...and brits love tradition (as well as a bit of class warfare...)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 07:05:46 PM »
For your queenie query: she brings in a LOT of money for tourism...and brits love tradition (as well as a bit of class warfare...)

Yeah, I watched the Queen's speech the other day. Which wasn't actually her speech, it was a speech she was given to read. And all that door-locking and announcing and people in seriously old costumes parading around. It was... ok, sorry, bizarre.  ???  But when in Rome, I guess....

Maybe it was the camera angle, though. Or the lights. But it sure looked like she seemed, well, peeved before she read it. And it seemed as if she almost was going to say something just after finishing, although she did not. Probably just the camera angle.

We were both kind of hoping she'd say something of substance to them all about getting their collective act in gear. Ah, well. 8)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:06:55 PM »
Yeah, I watched the Queen's speech the other day. Which wasn't actually her speech, it was a speech she was given to read. And all that door-locking and announcing and people in seriously old costumes parading around. It was... ok, sorry, bizarre.  ???  But when in Rome, I guess....

Maybe it was the camera angle, though. Or the lights. But it sure looked like she seemed, well, peeved before she read it. And it seemed as if she almost was going to say something just after finishing, although she did not. Probably just the camera angle.

We were both kind of hoping she'd say something of substance to them all about getting their collective act in gear. Ah, well. 8)

The day the queen says anything "of substance" is the day we get out the guillotine.  I'm happy to accept royalty as a mascot / tourist attraction, but like most people, I won't accept them participating in politics.  Don't worry though, no guillotine is necessary as the royal family understands this point better than anyone. 

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Ummm, about Brexit. So this morning things are where they were with the previous Prime Minister - throw the DUP under the bus and have a line down the Irish Sea, or nothing? And Parliament has to ok that by this Saturday?

So it's going to be a hard Brexit then, right, in like two weeks?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:43:55 AM »

It looks like the worst possible thing is going to happen:
Boris is going to come up with a "deal" that is the same as one Theresa May proposed that was immediately shot down.  The same people who shot down that deal will vote for Boris' deal because the alternative is an implosion of the government that is obviously the fault of the Tories.  A Brexit that damages the UK for decades to come is hurriedly voted through with no oversight and Boris claims victory.  A new election is called, Boris wins and we have 8 years of Johnson as a PM.

All because Jeremy Corbyn is absolutely USELESS. 

• Liked: 107
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
It looks like the worst possible thing is going to happen:
Boris is going to come up with a "deal" that is the same as one Theresa May proposed that was immediately shot down.  The same people who shot down that deal will vote for Boris' deal because the alternative is an implosion of the government that is obviously the fault of the Tories.  A Brexit that damages the UK for decades to come is hurriedly voted through with no oversight and Boris claims victory.  A new election is called, Boris wins and we have 8 years of Johnson as a PM.

All because Jeremy Corbyn is absolutely USELESS. 

Personally, I am an avid Labour voter. I detest the Tories and they've literally caused this entire chaos. David Cameron sold his soul so he could be PM by putting the biggest decision this country has ever seen in the hands of the uneducated xenophobic population. These decisions are literally what the clowns in parliament get paid to do. When the result didn't go his way, he f'd off. No words describe how much I loathe him. You would have thought he'd have learned his lesson with giving Scotland the independence vote. Shameful man. The Tories will ruin our beloved NHS who saved my Nan's life when she had cancer.

The funny thing is, however, is that there is such a dimwit leading the Labour party that it makes it extremely difficult who to vote for. Do you vote for Labour anyway? Do you vote for someone like the Lib Dems who definitely won't get the majority and lead us back into a Tory nightmare? Ahhh!

I digress.

Royal Family. As a Brit I couldn't care less. One argument against them is apparently the tourism argument is invalid and that they hardly bring in anything with regards to tourism, at least nowhere near what people think. Secondly, you could argue it is unfair that these people are born into limitless amount of wealth, food, healthcare, cars, land etc. All simply because they were born into that family and nobody else's. They are also completely unelected and technically pass laws.

Argument for them is purely tradition. That's it for me. Yes, they do a lot for charity but that's not a reason to keep them, in my opinion. However, being born into the royal family could be seen as a curse. Somebody telling you where to be, what to do, how to speak, how to act, how to walk etc. You could say that there is a slight prisoner aspect to it all, also. Where I stand? Don't care haha.

Brexit. Yes a law was passed that if there is a no deal then Boris must ask for an extension. I really don't see how he can claim we're leaving on the 31st October no deal or not. If he does, the supreme court will find him guilty of breaking the law (again) and will force him to ask for an extension. There is literally no way we can leave without a deal, it's the law. He won't go to jail. No way. Although, I would love to see it. The EU continue to get money from us the more this drags on. They will approve the extension.

I'm at the BoB stage. Bored of Brexit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:30:13 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »

. They are also completely unelected and technically pass laws.

Asking out if curiosity as i truly am not aware, what laws do they pass? My understanding is that - politically - they dont really have any power to do anything (especially pass laws). Would be interested to see what laws it is that they do pass as i definitely hadnt picked up on it so would be interesting to look into.

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »

Asking out if curiosity as i truly am not aware, what laws do they pass? My understanding is that - politically - they dont really have any power to do anything (especially pass laws). Would be interested to see what laws it is that they do pass as i definitely hadnt picked up on it so would be interesting to look into.

All laws have to be approved (or rejected) by the queen before they are officially law
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 12:43:33 PM »
Parliament and Crown.

Along with the House of Commons and the House of Lords, the Crown is an integral part of the institution of Parliament. The Queen plays a constitutional role in opening and dissolving Parliament and approving Bills before they become law.

Parliament

The highest legislative authority in the United Kingdom. Made up of the House of Commons, House of Lords and the Queen (who is the UK's current hereditary monarch).

Crown

This is another way of referring to the monarchy - which is the oldest part of the system of government in this country. Time has reduced the power of the monarchy, and today it is broadly ceremonial. The current UK monarch is Queen Elizabeth II.

Appointing a government

The day after a general election the Queen invites the leader of the party that won the most seats in the House of Commons to become Prime Minister and to form a government.

Opening and dissolving Parliament

The Crown opens Parliament through the State Opening (marking the beginning of the Parliamentary year). The Crown only dissolves Parliament before a general election under conditions laid out in the Fixed Term Parliament Act 2011 (dissolution).

More information on State Opening
Queen's Speech

The Crown informs Parliament of the government's policy ideas and plans for new legislation in a speech delivered from the throne in the House of Lords. Although the Queen makes the speech the government draws up the content.

Royal Assent

When a Bill has been approved by a majority in the House of Commons and the House of Lords it is formally agreed to by the Crown. This is known as the Royal Assent. This turns a Bill into an Act of Parliament, allowing it to become law in the UK.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/relations-with-other-institutions/parliament-crown/

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
All laws have to be approved (or rejected) by the queen before they are officially law
Ahh i thought you meant passing laws as in they can just pass whatever they like/create vs. Giving the royal assent. In fairness thougg, i think thats another mainly ceremonial duty...i dont think a law has been rejected by the royals since the 1700s.

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 718
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »
The Queen doesn't have much choice in whether or not to give Royal assent to pass laws once they have been approved by the Commons and Lords but she could always refuse to do so.  In 1990 the King of Belgium could not, as a devout Catholic, bring himself to sign a bill into law which liberalized the country's abortion laws as the new law was opposed by the Pope. The solution was to remove him temporarily for a day to pass it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Belgium

However, the problem was resolved by an agreement between the king and Prime Minister Martens by which the Belgian government declared the king unable to govern, assumed his authority and enacted the law, after which Parliament then voted to reinstate the king on the next day.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »
She could refuse but iirc, it hasnt happened in hundreds of years.

My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab