Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Submitted spouse visa application but have concerns  (Read 954 times)

• Liked: 24
Submitted spouse visa application but have concerns
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:57:40 PM »
I thought my entire application was perfect before I submitted it. However, when I looked at the "About your accommodation in the UK" section it asks "How many bedrooms are in the property?" to which I have 1 (it's a one bedroom flat), but it asks "How many other rooms are there in the property?" and I have 2. I recall that they asked how many rooms in addition to bathroom and kitchen are in the flat, and that's why I put 2. But when I look at it like this, it looks like I'm saying there are 2 rooms aside from the bedroom? However, there is just one livingroom and one bedroom. Did I make a mistake? Please advise.

My other concern is the document checklist I printed out still asks for my husband's passport as proof of citizenship as well as the copy of the bio data page. I do not have his actual passport. Are people sending in both their own passport and their partner's passport???

Interestingly, the document checklist does not ask for proof of accommodation. I hope someone can answer these questions. I have not booked the biometric appointment just yet in case I need to cancel my application and start a new one (which I hope I won't have to do).  :o
30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

Re: Submitted spouse visa application but have concerns
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 12:29:25 AM »
I spoke to my mother on the phone, and she thinks I'm making too big a deal about the rooms and shouldn't cancel my application.

• Liked: 3595
Submitted spouse visa application but have concerns
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 05:33:49 AM »
Your mum is right, you do not need to cancel the application.

They ask about the number of rooms other than a kitchen or bathroom in order to determine whether or not the UK property will be overcrowded with you living there too. You can’t sleep in a bathroom or kitchen, so they only count bedrooms and living rooms. So, with 2 rooms total (bedroom and living room) you can have a max of 3 people living in the property. With 3 rooms (I.e. 2 bedrooms and a living room) you can have a max of 5 people in the property.

Assuming it’s just you and your partner who will be living in the property, you only need 1 room (i.e. studio flat with 1 room which serves as both a bedroom and a living room), so whether you wrote 2 or 3 rooms won’t make a difference for the visa because you only need 1 room available to you. However, if it makes you feel better, you can correct it in pen when you print the application and/or make a note of the mistake in a cover letter.

You do not need to send your husband’s actual passport, just a copy of the bio page.

You must send proof of the accommodation where you will live together in the U.K. - if your husband owns the property, you need his Land Registry document (and ideally his latest original mortgage statement). If he rents, you need his original tenancy agreement and a letter from the landlord giving you permission to live there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »
Your mum is right, you do not need to cancel the application.

They ask about the number of rooms other than a kitchen or bathroom in order to determine whether or not the UK property will be overcrowded with you living there too. You can’t sleep in a bathroom or kitchen, so they only count bedrooms and living rooms. So, with 2 rooms total (bedroom and living room) you can have a max of 3 people living in the property. With 3 rooms (I.e. 2 bedrooms and a living room) you can have a max of 5 people in the property.

Assuming it’s just you and your partner who will be living in the property, you only need 1 room (i.e. studio flat with 1 room which serves as both a bedroom and a living room), so whether you wrote 2 or 3 rooms won’t make a difference for the visa because you only need 1 room available to you. However, if it makes you feel better, you can correct it in pen when you print the application and/or make a note of the mistake in a cover letter.

You do not need to send your husband’s actual passport, just a copy of the bio page.

You must send proof of the accommodation where you will live together in the U.K. - if your husband owns the property, you need his Land Registry document (and ideally his latest original mortgage statement). If he rents, you need his original tenancy agreement and a letter from the landlord giving you permission to live there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! This puts my mind at ease. My husband also paid £5 something to e-mail the office about his passport, although I don't know how quickly they'll get back to him.

Yes, I was planning to send proof of accommodation even though they don't ask for it on the document checklist I printed.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »
I made my biometrics appointment for Friday, November 8th. I paid for the priority visa on the VFS site and added free document scanning assistance. So I assume that means they will help me scan my documents there instead of me scanning them at home? Has anyone used this service?

I also hope they gave the correct NY address for me to mail my passport/documents.

145 West 45th Street, Fl 5
New York, NY 10036

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »
Apparently checking that means I now have to mail everything in. I plan on doing so today, as I had my biometrics appointment on Friday, the 8th.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 04:24:25 PM »
I made my biometrics appointment for Friday, November 8th. I paid for the priority visa on the VFS site and added free document scanning assistance. So I assume that means they will help me scan my documents there instead of me scanning them at home? Has anyone used this service?

I guess you have already gathered this, but biometrics are done by US immigration on behalf of UKVI - they don't have anything to do with your application at all.

Unless you paid $2000 extra for the settlement premium service (where you submit everything in person at one of the 10 premium centres), you either need to scan your documents in yourself at home, or mail them all to NYC to be scanned by someone there. I assume the free scanning assistance in that case does not apply to your application, as you do not submit the documents in person.

I also hope they gave the correct NY address for me to mail my passport/documents.

145 West 45th Street, Fl 5
New York, NY 10036

The correct address is:

VFS Services USA Inc.
UKVI Scanning Hub
145 West 45th St
Floor 5
New York NY

Apparently checking that means I now have to mail everything in. I plan on doing so today, as I had my biometrics appointment on Friday, the 8th.

Okay, you have until tomorrow at the absolute latest to get your documents in the mail (5 days from biometrics)

If you haven't checked this page, it might be worth it, just to make sure you have everything in order:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 04:41:12 PM »
Okay. Thank you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab