Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 40% tax for people who makes over £50k ?  (Read 2232 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: 40% tax for people who makes over £50k ?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
Your childcare cost a month are more than what I make in 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kids are so expensive.  Don’t get me started on my daughter wearing a brand new pair of trousers today that cost £10.  Adjustable elastic waist.  She was having trouble pulling them down to use the bathroom, so they CUT THEM OFF HER.  £10.  Didn’t even make it a single school day.  I literally just burned a £10 note..... 

• Liked: 768
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
Kids are so expensive.  Don’t get me started on my daughter wearing a brand new pair of trousers today that cost £10.  Adjustable elastic waist.  She was having trouble pulling them down to use the bathroom, so they CUT THEM OFF HER.  £10.  Didn’t even make it a single school day.  I literally just burned a £10 note.....
I can't even understand why they would do that.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
Oh, I work in finance full time.  My husband doesn't stand a chance with me.  Luckily we agree 100% on most everything financial.  It's just he's had his car for almost 4 years so he thinks it's time for a new one.  This is his first "non-company-car" he's had so he is itching for a new one.  I got out my tiny violin for him.

And his company does a 10% match for pension contributions.  He's been there 16 years.  It's AWESOME.  ;D

I know you finance types  :D. When I was working in the USA our Corporate Controller drove an old small car. I assumed it was just the car he drove to work but once I got to know him better he  told me that his wife had a car, but that it was also small and 2nd hand. He looked after the company’s money as if it was his own and  had a reputation of being really stingy and reluctant to approve spending. I told him that he was just like a Yorkshireman. “Short in’t arm and deep  in’t pocket”
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 08:11:55 AM »
I can't even understand why they would do that.

If I had a choice between cutting off the trousers or cleaning up a kid who had peed themselves, I'd get the scissors out.  That's why I don't work in a nursery.

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 08:14:42 AM »
Your childcare cost a month are more than what I make in 2 months.

When both our kids needed to be cared for, the childcare costs were easily higher than my wife's salary.  That's also a comment on how poorly University Lecturers are valued here. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 09:12:21 AM »
Why in the world did they cut her £10 trousers off?  Unless it was the most EPIC poop explosion or in an emergency for a bloody gaping wound, then there is no need!  I'd be livid!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
Why in the world did they cut her £10 trousers off?  Unless it was the most EPIC poop explosion or in an emergency for a bloody gaping wound, then there is no need!  I'd be livid!

Right??? How did they justify it kfd?

Would you be able to stitch the waistband back together or did they completely ruin them?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 09:50:16 AM »

I can only imagine that she was being all "I need a wee!" and so they just got the scissors out?  I wasn't there.  I can't judge.  But it is soooooooooooo annoying at the waste of both the trousers and the £10.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »
I can only imagine that she was being all "I need a wee!" and so they just got the scissors out?  I wasn't there.  I can't judge.  But it is soooooooooooo annoying at the waste of both the trousers and the £10.

If I was your daughter, I’d freak out if I saw someone coming at me with scissors and cutting my trousers! Poor kid.

Aw, hell no!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 70
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
I'm not bothered by the tax rates.  I live in London.  We have no children so no use of benefits or social services there, and use the NHS very little.  I don't mind, taxes are what they are.  I'm fairly left-leaning I think and believe that those taxes, if spent well, go to benefit us all no matter our personal choices or personal use of them.  I imagine we'll become more of a burden as we age and hope that those benefits and social services will be there for us then.  Even if we don't need them, income tax and the collection of them helps the country and nation and I support, and vote for parties, who may raise our personal taxes to fund programs which help those less well off.

What I do mind is the stamp duty on housing.  It seems like a London tax.  Our jobs are based in London, we live in London, we have the smallest property of all our friends, and our stamp duty was 88% of the average yearly UK salary in the year we purchased our flat.  That's incredibly painful.  I understand London living was our choice, but it doesn't feel like much of a choice when our jobs and families are based here and living further out (we'd never be under the stamp duty threshold in the SE of England) would mean unreliable, expensive transportation (annual season ticket over £5,000 per person) and less work-life balance due to incredibly long commutes.

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:20 AM »
I'm not bothered by the tax rates.  I live in London.  We have no children so no use of benefits or social services there, and use the NHS very little.  I don't mind, taxes are what they are.  I'm fairly left-leaning I think and believe that those taxes, if spent well, go to benefit us all no matter our personal choices or personal use of them.  I imagine we'll become more of a burden as we age and hope that those benefits and social services will be there for us then.  Even if we don't need them, income tax and the collection of them helps the country and nation and I support, and vote for parties, who may raise our personal taxes to fund programs which help those less well off.

What I do mind is the stamp duty on housing.  It seems like a London tax.  Our jobs are based in London, we live in London, we have the smallest property of all our friends, and our stamp duty was 88% of the average yearly UK salary in the year we purchased our flat.  That's incredibly painful.  I understand London living was our choice, but it doesn't feel like much of a choice when our jobs and families are based here and living further out (we'd never be under the stamp duty threshold in the SE of England) would mean unreliable, expensive transportation (annual season ticket over £5,000 per person) and less work-life balance due to incredibly long commutes.

I'm in complete agreement.  On our last house purchase, the price was right up against the upper limit one band of stamp duty.  That meant nobody could offer more without moving into the next band and paying multiple thousands more in stamp duty.  To get the house, we had no choice and ended up making an offer that gave just a few thousand more to the buyers and much, much more to the government.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »
I don’t disagree... but also bear in mind where the government spends most of its tax money. Is it in Scotland (an entire country?), the North (a vast geographical area comprised of multiple regions) or London (and arguably the southeast)? If higher taxes are charged, should they not either benefit the most needing in society or possibly the people who pay them? It seems for the last several decades, the decision has been made to pay out tax money where it’s been earned... which then fuels the fire of regional inequality, further house price rises, and then salary having bf to increase accordingly, which leads to me re taxes collected which then get spent... and the cycle repeats!

I do like to play devil’s advocate.

It is strange to me that stamp duty bands haven’t ever increased, as house prices have skyrocketed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

Sponsored Links