Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wonder If Anyone Has Advice on Opening a Bank Account on Fiance Visa  (Read 3096 times)

• Liked: 3
Hi all, need some advice. My Fiance is over here on the Fiance visa and we tried to open a bank account. She needs proof of address and while we have some letters in her name with my address on they are not enough to prove her residence over here. We have a letter in both our names from the local council about the wedding ceremony taking place, she has a Social Security letter from the US addressed to her name with my address but the banks won't accept these as proof.

We are living with my parents so can't get her name on a utility bill,  maybe apply for a provisional driving licence but this would take time and send her passport off. Anyone managed to actually open one only being in the country for just over a week? Thanks for any advice.

Anthony
Fiance Visa Online Application: 14th August 19
Type: Priority
Bio-metric Appointment: 21 August 19
Documents Received in NY: 23 August 19
Confirmation From Sheffield: 10 September
Decision Made Email: 22 October
Visa in Hand and Approved: 23 October

• Liked: 70
Re: Wonder If Anyone Has Advice on Opening a Bank Account on Fiance Visa
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 11:42:47 PM »
Long ago when we did this, my husband added me to his account. I wasn't allowed much on my own by the banks, but they felt comfortable with him.

My husband just waited another couple months and opened a 2nd account of his own at a different bank. After a few more months I was trusted and did the same.

Have you tried adding your partner to your account?

Different banks will also give you different answers. Try another bank or a different type of account

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
She should have her US bank account statements sent to the UK in any case. Ask the banks you are trying if they will accept those.

• Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 11:06:24 AM »
Have you looked into opening a Monzo account? They’re a fully licensed app-based bank, and my wife was even able to open one while visiting for three months.

It does depend on the reason for wanting to open a UK account tho - if it’s just to function as a bank account then Monzo is great (and you can spend on it in any country with the best conversion rate and without getting foreign transaction fees!). However if you are wanting to build credit through having a bank account then they only report to one of three credit agencies so won’t show up on a lot of credit reports.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab