Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finding a London Home  (Read 2036 times)

• Liked: 0
Finding a London Home
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:33:25 PM »
Hi All,

So after years of trying, I am finally getting the opportunity to live in London for 8 weeks and my employer will be paying for my housing. I am having to find a place site unseen. I'm looking at different areas that work within my given budget and mostly just looking at AirBNB. I wanted to inquire if Whitechapel is a safe area? I will be with my wife and 4yo son.

Thanks!

David

• Liked: 1892
Re: Finding a London Home
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
I've got no actual experience living in central London, I live in a leafy suburb called Twickenham. 

If your employers budget will stretch to it, I would be thinking about Kensington. 

I'd guess that you'll want to be within walking distance of your office, or maybe a tube ride.  You could identify the tube stop closest to your office, see what lines go there and focus on places that are along those areas. 

I'm sure you guys will enjoy it.  When are you coming?

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 08:58:54 AM »
Where in London will you be working? Pick somewhere nearby if you can. Tube journeys can take a while and be very crowded at rush hour!

Crime stats alone can't paint a neighborhood picture but Whitechapel doesn't fare the best in those (according to quick Google search) https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/revealed-most-dangerous-places-live-15664764

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 70
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:20:42 PM »
I live in Tower Hamlets and have for nearly a decade. I like it. We bought a flat here and when we upgrade, hoping to do so within a few years, we'll stay in TH unless our jobs change locations drastically.

Whitechapel wouldn't be my first choice within TH, but I, as a mid 30s female, feel safe there. One of our closest friends lived right by Whitechapel station with his family of 4 until very recently: husband, wife, 3 yr old daughter, 1 yr old son. The couple work opposite hours and are rarely home together. They recently moved because it's too expensive, not because they didn't like it.

What line will you be on for work?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 02:12:03 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the replies! I'll be working in Kensington and getting off at the Gloucester Road Tube Station. I'm a university professor and will be leading a group of students abroad in a partnership with Richmond University. I'm looking at Airbnb, and Foxtons as well as SabbatticalHomes.com. My budget is doable, but a little nervous about finding a place.

• Liked: 70
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »
Gloucester Road is West.  I love the East and would recommend it to anyone, but I think you should look West or even potentially South.  It'll be a quicker commute for you and because it has always been the leafier, family, neighbourhood area in comparison to the East it might be easier to find what an American would expect for a family home.

Have you considered West at all?  What made you say Whitechapel to start with - friends, family, too much of The Rise of the Krays ;) ?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab