Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just went to my GP  (Read 1761 times)

• Liked: 768
Re: Just went to my GP
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
They can also do a blood test to confirm DVT. It comes back within 30 minutes or so. At least in the US they do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 10:45:54 PM »
I herd some Americans talking about Flu and saying they had been tested for one strain or another.  I was thinking WTF?  I've never heard of anyone getting confirmed with Flu, they just tell you "it's a bug" and tell you to go to bed.    Once I was sick during the swine flu outbreak and they just had me fill in a web form and sent me medicine.  No lab test or doctor follow up at all.
With the flu, in the US if you're in a vulnerable group they can prescribe antiviral meds so they run a test in the office. I think pretty much every big practice and urgent care has them on site. Here you'd end up hospitalised before being given meds like that because they aren't cheap. They only give them to people with weak immune systems or conditions that make the flu more risky in the US, but all of that "doesn't have enough clinical evidence" for the cost benefit model the NHS follows. My GP in the US would give me breathing treatments and run a CBC when I came in with issues, the CBC results would be back in 15 minutes to show whether I had a bacterial infection or virus so then they'd prescribe antibiotics or steroids or whatever was best. It feels like the UK is wayyyy behind on technology. I would have to go to A&E to get a breathing treatment if my asthma acts up from a chest cold here, which just exposes you to far more germs!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 08:53:40 AM »
They can also do a blood test to confirm DVT. It comes back within 30 minutes or so. At least in the US they do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That's exactly what they did for me, except it took two hours to get the results.  I think the issue was that both things they suspected as possibilities would have the same result int he blood test so it wasn't helpful.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
Well hopefully not DVT or cellulitis that spreads like mad, but glad they're treating both. 

Will be 'interesting' to see if you have TB KFDancer.  At least 'non-urgent' is always good!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 06:32:22 PM »
Thanks Phatbeetle!  Got a scan today and there's no DVT, so that's really nice.  The doctor said they aren't exactly sure if it actually is cellulitis but whatever it is would get the same antibiotics so whatever. 

It was kind of funny because I had a really nice junior doctor who really wanted to dot every i and cross every t.  She was talking about me coming back next week for a follow up visit.  I was willing to skip it and only come back if things got worse.  Then the supervisor cam in and was like "No, he's finished, let him follow up with his GP, we are done".  Long live the NHS!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »
Thanks Phatbeetle!  Got a scan today and there's no DVT, so that's really nice.  The doctor said they aren't exactly sure if it actually is cellulitis but whatever it is would get the same antibiotics so whatever. 

It was kind of funny because I had a really nice junior doctor who really wanted to dot every i and cross every t.  She was talking about me coming back next week for a follow up visit.  I was willing to skip it and only come back if things got worse.  Then the supervisor cam in and was like "No, he's finished, let him follow up with his GP, we are done".  Long live the NHS!

So pleased it’s not DVT.  A former colleague died from it at 25.  Truly tragic!

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 12:26:19 AM »
Sorry to hear that KFDANCER. 

Unless I unexpectedly turn septic, I hereby return the belt for alpha disease to you.  Hope you are fully better for Christmas because I may have to come to yours if the French get too much. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab