Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Becoming a guardian of an American child and bringing them to the UK?  (Read 1989 times)

• Liked: 3
This might be quite an unusual and rare topic for this forum, but I'm posting on the off chance that someone here has had a similar experience or knowledge of this....

Due to extraneous circumstances, my sister-in-law is struggling to care for her daughter (my neice) and we have discussed the possibility of her signing over guardianship to me. My niece is 15 and has 2 more years left of school.

I would have the means to care for her, but of course, I live in the UK (I'm a dual US/UK citizen), and since my niece is a US citizen, I'm not sure if / how this would even work or where to even begin to find information on this.

Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge how I could bring a child over as a legal guardian and have her live with me and attend school in the UK?

I know there are a LOT of things to consider, but I just want to start with the basics... how to legally get her here (if possible) is a start. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Becoming a guardian of an American child and bringing them to the UK?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
It's a massive ordeal and your niece will likely turn 18 before it could all be sorted.

The short story, you would have to legally adopt her.  And then apply for her to join you as your dependent.

Big hugs.  It can be done but not easily.  Do you have the option to relocate to the USA to minimise the disruption to your niece?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
I don't know if this is a realistic option but it might be something worth looking in to?

Child student visa. https://www.gov.uk/child-study-visa

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
I don't know if this is a realistic option but it might be something worth looking in to?

T

Thanks so much for this!!! I didn’t even know this existed for under 18s. I will look into it. Thank you again!

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »
It's a massive ordeal and your niece will likely turn 18 before it could all be sorted.

The short story, you would have to legally adopt her.  And then apply for her to join you as your dependent.

Big hugs.  It can be done but not easily.  Do you have the option to relocate to the USA to minimise the disruption to your niece?

Thanks for the reply! Moving back for me would be just as complicated but my niece also has spent a considerable amount of time visiting me and has even made some friends here - where back home she feels isolated + tough home life, etc...- so it seemed like she could find some peace here.

But you’re right, the adoption or even guardianship thing I’m sure would be a very long process and she’ll likely be an adult by then.

I’m going to look into the Tier 4 Visa which larrabee  posted.

Thanks so much for your input!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:03:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Moving back for me would be just as complicated but my niece also has spent a considerable amount of time visiting me and has even made some friends here - where back home she feels isolated + tough home life, etc...- so it seemed like she could find some peace here.

But you’re right, the adoption or even guardianship thing I’m sure would be a very long process and she’ll likely be an adult by then.

I’m going to look into the Tier 4 Visa which larrabee  posted.

Thanks so much for your input!

Fingers crossed the student visa is a great fit.  Keep us posted.  This kind of things comes up from time to time.  We have one successful family but it did take years!

Sponsored Links