Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing address on US license?  (Read 1336 times)

• Liked: 11
Changing address on US license?
« on: January 07, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »
Hi guys...looking for some advice.

I'm originally from NY and my driving license is still valid until 2021, I last lived with my mom in NY but she has just sold her house and moved somewhere new (also in NY). I've always had my mom's address as my NY address even though I haven't lived there in 5 years (the address I use for maintaining my US bank account, which is also linked to my mom).

Is it possible for me to update my license to show her new address even though I'll have no proof of residency there? Also if I can just "update" it for now, what will happen when it eventually expires in 2021? Can I renew it even though I'm not longer resident in NY?

I know all of this is so state specific so if anyone's had any particular dealings with this in NY you're input would be much appreciated!!

• Liked: 957
Re: Changing address on US license?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »
https://www.ny.gov/services/update-my-address

You're well out of compliance with state law regarding the address changes. I couldn't find anything that confirms that it's no longer valid after moving out of state though. Do you have your UK license? You can only drive on a foreign license for 12 months after moving here.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 7
Re: Changing address on US license?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »
Drivers license is based on residency. Technically, it's not valid if you move out of state. Even if it's not expired.  So if you got in an accident, you would be driving without a valid license. Even if you could change it to you mom's address, it wouldn't be valid, because you don't live there.

Sponsored Links