Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK citizen traveling to USA for marriage  (Read 1199 times)

• Liked: 1
UK citizen traveling to USA for marriage
« on: January 29, 2020, 11:27:08 PM »
I am heading to USA early March as UK citizen to marry my fiancee, a US citizen. Flying from Dublin to Las Vegas from March 1 to March 8. Does anybody have any experience traveling through immigration to marry a US citizen before returning home? I'm worried they'll think I am going to overstay my welcome and refuse me entry.

I am taking my job contract, my annual leave proof, my last 3 pay slips to prove I'm still employed, return ticket, hotel booking for one week, wedding venue, and proof of my flight from Belfast to Liverpool (after I return home from Dublin) on March 9.

I get questioned sometimes especially when I am saying I'm visiting my fiancee. I am worried when they ask me at Dublin the purpose of my visit if I say 'visiting my fiancee' they'll take that as deception because I didn't say I am going there specifically to marry her. Of course, I'd tell the truth about marrying her if they did ask.

Any experience doing this? Thanks! =)

PS: I've been to USA about 5 times in the past two years. Firstly on a J-1 which is how I met my fiancee, then trips each for about 2 weeks. Longest trip I had was for 4 weeks when I was unemployed. Last time I went to USA was in June 2019 for a 2 week visit but I used up a lot of my annual leave so haven't been able to travel until March 2020 when my leave restarts again.

• Liked: 6110
Re: UK citizen traveling to USA for marriage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 08:10:48 AM »
I am heading to USA early March as UK citizen to marry my fiancee, a US citizen. Flying from Dublin to Las Vegas from March 1 to March 8. Does anybody have any experience traveling through immigration to marry a US citizen before returning home? I'm worried they'll think I am going to overstay my welcome and refuse me entry.

I am taking my job contract, my annual leave proof, my last 3 pay slips to prove I'm still employed, return ticket, hotel booking for one week, wedding venue, and proof of my flight from Belfast to Liverpool (after I return home from Dublin) on March 9.

I get questioned sometimes especially when I am saying I'm visiting my fiancee. I am worried when they ask me at Dublin the purpose of my visit if I say 'visiting my fiancee' they'll take that as deception because I didn't say I am going there specifically to marry her. Of course, I'd tell the truth about marrying her if they did ask.

Any experience doing this? Thanks! =)

PS: I've been to USA about 5 times in the past two years. Firstly on a J-1 which is how I met my fiancee, then trips each for about 2 weeks. Longest trip I had was for 4 weeks when I was unemployed. Last time I went to USA was in June 2019 for a 2 week visit but I used up a lot of my annual leave so haven't been able to travel until March 2020 when my leave restarts again.

A *lot* of our members have done exactly what you are planning to do. It's perfectly fine (because it is legal to do so) to say you are getting married if you are asked the purpose of your visit.

It's a good idea to take the proof that you are going to return too, looks like you have it covered.  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:31:57 AM »
Ok thank you. Just a bit more nervous than usual because I know how many red flags it can set off if you're going to the USA specifically to marry a US citizen. Aargh.

• Liked: 3595
UK citizen traveling to USA for marriage
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 02:16:14 AM »
Ok thank you. Just a bit more nervous than usual because I know how many red flags it can set off if you're going to the USA specifically to marry a US citizen. Aargh.

It won’t set off any red flags. This is something people do every day.

The only thing that will set off a red flag is if you lie to US immigration about why you are visiting the US.

In fact, the US Embassy website specifically tells you that if you will not be living in the US after the wedding, you should get married on the VWP/a B2 visitor visa.

See:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/

From that page:

Please note: if you do not intend taking up indefinite residence but will continue to live and work outside the United States after the marriage ceremony, you should apply for a B-2 visa, or if eligible, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 03:56:58 AM »
It won’t set off any red flags. This is something people do every day.

The only thing that will set off a red flag is if you lie to US immigration about why you are visiting the US.

In fact, the US Embassy website specifically tells you that if you will not be living in the US after the wedding, you should get married on the VWP/a B2 visitor visa.

See:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/

From that page:

Please note: if you do not intend taking up indefinite residence but will continue to live and work outside the United States after the marriage ceremony, you should apply for a B-2 visa, or if eligible, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes me feel a little better. Thanks. I usually fly from Manchester, UK to the USA but this time I've opted to go through Dublin to clear immigration this side and because my lay over is only 1hr35m.

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 02:20:49 AM »
Ok I am traveling shortly and here's a collation of documents I intend to present to US immigration in Dublin if needed:

Wedding venue booking
Hotel booking for 1 week
Return ticket
Proof I have annual leave approved
Employer's letter confirming employment

Super excited about getting married, but do my documents look ok? I'm just going to say I'm going to USA to get married rather than try and lie and just say 'I'm visiting my fiancee' (because I suspect they'll probably ask if we plan to marry anyway)

Been to USA about 6 times, maximum stay of 4 weeks, every other stay between 2-3 weeks. Last visit to USA was in July 2019 to see my fiancee and I couldn't go back until now as I had no annual leave left.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 02:23:50 AM by SopranoLionel1 »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
Unless you've had a previous hiccup trying to enter the US, you likely won't need that.  It's a good idea to bring it for peace of mind, but I'm pretty sure your border crossing will be completely uneventful.

Do tell the truth.
Your documents look great.
Do be happy.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:40:54 PM »
Unless you've had a previous hiccup trying to enter the US, you likely won't need that.  It's a good idea to bring it for peace of mind, but I'm pretty sure your border crossing will be completely uneventful.

Do tell the truth.
Your documents look great.
Do be happy.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Well I am back from my wedding in the States.

I was stopped at US immigration in Dublin airport for 1hr35 and questioned as they thought I was potentially going to stay in USA and work there. I had all my documents ready - employer's letter, annual leave confirmed, return tickets etc. They pulled my bag from the plane and searched it along with my carry on and phone.

Horrible experience and they were pretty aggressive towards me but they eventually let me through with 40 minutes before departure. I arrived at my gate and they were boarding.

I'm back in the UK now and hopefully won't be going to the USA anytime again soon!

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 04:17:04 AM »

I was stopped at US immigration in Dublin airport for 1hr35 and questioned as they thought I was potentially going to stay in USA and work there. I had all my documents ready - employer's letter, annual leave confirmed, return tickets etc. They pulled my bag from the plane and searched it along with my carry on and phone.

Horrible experience and they were pretty aggressive towards me but they eventually let me through with 40 minutes before departure. I arrived at my gate and they were boarding.

I'm back in the UK now and hopefully won't be going to the USA anytime again soon!

It's a good thing that you were well prepared!  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 10:05:27 AM »

I'm sorry it didn't go as I anticipated.  But, you were well-prepared, and even though it was terribly unpleasant, you got through it.  I wonder why they did that to you.  In most cases, entering the US from the UK is a somewhat trivial thing.  I sincerely hope it didn't dampen your wedding day.

Congratulations, again!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
I'm sorry it didn't go as I anticipated.  But, you were well-prepared, and even though it was terribly unpleasant, you got through it.  I wonder why they did that to you.  In most cases, entering the US from the UK is a somewhat trivial thing.  I sincerely hope it didn't dampen your wedding day.

Congratulations, again!

Usually it's just someone having a bad day.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
Agreed. Some jerk at Heathrow gave the Daughter the same treatment when she was coming back over here from having gone home for Christmas break while on Ed Abroad. Almost missed her connecting flight. They were also boarding when the attendant got her wheelchair to the gate!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 12:44:49 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear that.  In all my years on the forum, you are without a doubt, the first person who has had any issue - especially with being honest!  We've had people questioned after trying to cover up their reason for travel.  But not for being honest.  Especially when following exactly what the law is regarding marrying. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »

Okay, it's a day later and my curiosity has the better of me.  Can you elaborate on how all of this came about?  What did they ask you?  Why were you questioned further?  Why did they pull your luggage off the plane and search it?  Has everything been smooth sailing up until this point and this came out of the blue?  I'm just mind boggled at the whole thing.  I feel like there is more to the story.

And I'm not just being nosey.  Depending on what happened or was said, it may help us get your application for your wife over the line.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 12:57:43 AM »
Okay, it's a day later and my curiosity has the better of me.  Can you elaborate on how all of this came about?  What did they ask you?  Why were you questioned further?  Why did they pull your luggage off the plane and search it?  Has everything been smooth sailing up until this point and this came out of the blue?  I'm just mind boggled at the whole thing.  I feel like there is more to the story.

And I'm not just being nosey.  Depending on what happened or was said, it may help us get your application for your wife over the line.

Sure I don't mind giving my story. I travel to the USA about maybe 2-4 times per year, usually for 2 week visits to see my wife. Everything has been pretty smooth up until this point, yes. The only 'hiccup' I experienced was around July 2019 when I stated I'm coming to visit my fiancee for 10 days. The guy didn't like that I guess and questioned me for about 5 minutes (when I'm going back, is she moving to UK with me, why is she going to UK instead of me going to USA etc.) before he let me in.

Anyway, I've been honest with you guys I just had one of those feelings this time, I don't know why. Never been in trouble with US immigration and have always adhered to the terms of the VWP.

In Dublin I approached the desk, he asked where I was going (New Orleans) then if I was travelling alone (yes) then asked why I'm going to New Orleans alone. I said I'm meeting my fiancee there. Do you plan to get married? (yes). Ok when? (March 3). On this trip? (yes). Do you have a return flight? (yes) - he tells me to prove it.

Asks me again how long I'll stay and if I plan to remain in the USA (7 days and no)

Tells me to follow him, brings me the secondary inspection point. I sit down, fill out a declarations form then wait 10 minutes. Another guy questions me, asks me the same questions as before. Asks what I do for work (I tell him, then show him my employer's letter). He questions me for about another 20 minutes - they were basically all the same questions asked in different ways to get me to slip up or something? idk.

Anyway, take another seat, wait 15 minutes, calls me over and says is this your bag? (yes). He asks if I packed it myself, am I smuggling any contraband, what items I have in the case etc. He opens it up, searches it (probably looking for items that might suggest I will be working in USA), finds nothing of interest other than clothes, wedding suit etc. Searches my wallet and looks at all my other documents I had brought (wedding confirmation, hotel booking, flight bookings etc) then I take a seat for another 10 minutes.

Calls me over again, makes me read a form then tells me he's gonna search my phone and says "giving you another chance before I search your phone - will I find anything in your phone that tells me you're going to work in the USA? - Again, no. Before I sit down I explain again what my intentions are and that I've been to the USA a lot in the past all to see my fiancee and I will continue to plan to travel to the USA in the future, likely with my wife, and that I am aware of what I can and cannot do on the ESTA and that I've always respected US laws when it comes to travel. I mentioned because I plan to travel to the USA in the future I do not want to do anything to jeopardize any future travel.

He just nods and then I take a seat for 15 minutes while he searches my phone.

Finally calls me back, typing on the computer for 10 minutes then hands me my passport and says "you're fine. Thanks". I say "Um, ok? Am I able to proceed?" He just says "Yep"

Really short with me. Entered US preclearance around 8.40am and left at 10.10am - made my flight as were boarding in time for 11am departure.

Not an experience I'd like to repeat again although I'm not worried in the future as likely my wife will be settled in the UK at that point and she'll be traveling with me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:03:17 AM by SopranoLionel1 »

Sponsored Links