Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wuhan virus  (Read 13154 times)

• Liked: 674
Re: Wuhan virus
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2020, 04:03:03 PM »
Coronation chicken is quite nice, especially on a sandwich or jacket potato.  It's like pieces of chicken breast in a mayonnaise sauce with tumeric or something similar to make it mustard / orange coloured.

Huh. Nope, never seen it, except in period dramas set in the 1950s. Maybe it's an English thing?

I will have to source out a recipe and see if I can make some. The Daughter dislikes mayonnaise sauce with a passion, but likes turmeric, so maybe she'd eat it.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
Maybe it's an English thing?

No, it's not just in England.  Really surprised you've not seen it?  And it's so tasty!
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/896076/recipe/easy-coronation-chicken

https://www.thepetitecook.com/coronation-chicken/
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2020, 04:09:42 PM »
Maybe you could pull the van around and he could sleep in that.

That was an idea we both had, but it was due for MOT on the 14th and needed a lot of work to get it up to pass (some things we'd let got for a long while), so we dropped it at the shop last Tuesday (my last outing), and Campervan has been living there.  We're waiting for the phone call with the estimate so we decide if we plunk down the money (my preference) or let Campervan go (a devastating thought, after all he's done for us).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »
You guys are so good knowing and liking Coronation Chicken.

Constance Spry, an English food writer and flower arranger, and Rosemary Hume, a chef, both principals of the Cordon Bleu Cookery School in London, are credited with the invention of coronation chicken. Preparing the food for the banquet of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, Spry proposed the recipe of cold chicken, curry cream sauce and dressing that would later become known as coronation chicken.

Coronation chicken may have been inspired by jubilee chicken, a dish prepared for the silver jubilee of George V in 1935, which mixed chicken with mayonnaise and curry. Additionally, for the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002, another celebratory dish was devised, also called Jubilee chicken.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 718
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
Back on topic. (apologies for the sidetrack onto Coronation Chicken)

I saw aerial footage of long lines of cars lining up for a free testing station for Coronavirus somewhere in the USA. If you had a test and were found to not have Coronavirus what would you do? Would it change how you went about your day to day life?

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 149
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2020, 04:36:43 PM »
You guys are so good knowing and liking Coronation Chicken.
I don't know if I've tried the C Chicken.....but it sits on the Asda shelf right next to the chicken tikka that I buy.
Fred

• Liked: 149
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2020, 04:40:09 PM »

I saw aerial footage of long lines of cars lining up for a free testing station for Coronavirus somewhere in the USA. If you had a test and were found to not have Coronavirus what would you do? Would it change how you went about your day to day life?
So far I haven't really thought much about it. We go to Asda a couple times a week so I should try to be a little careful on those trips and wash my hands etc as soon as we get back. Other than that, golf is the only social interaction I really get. I'm hoping they don't shut the course down at some point, I could see them shutting the clubhouse etc because of "close quarters"....but the golf part is pretty safe I would think. Most golfers are already just knocking elbows, although I did inject a little Japanesebow today.
Fred

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2020, 04:46:37 PM »
The Daughter ... likes turmeric, so maybe she'd eat it.
  Correction, it's orange because of the curry powder, not tumeric.  Although curry powder may be full of tumeric for all I know. 

Don't you guys ever go into a sandwich shop?  Coronation chicken is standard, even in subway. 

« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2020, 04:52:48 PM »

Pretty much what I'd do if I found I did have it - except I wouldn't need to update my will and I wouldn't be wondering if I was going to die in the next month. Or, quite so much, anyway.

And hope it doesn't come around for "Round Two" six months later, as did the 1918 flu.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:12:50 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »
  Correction, it's orange because of the curry powder, not tumeric.  Although curry powder may be full of tumeric for all I know. 

Don't you guys ever go into a sandwich shop?  Coronation chicken is standard, even in subway.

All the time. Never seen it on the menu at a shop here. (We never eat in Subway. The Daughter says "it's gross.")

She had a chicken tika sandwich from the shop today. Maybe something like it? Except it also had lots of onions and bell peppers.

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »
No, it's not just in England.  Really surprised you've not seen it?  And it's so tasty!
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/896076/recipe/easy-coronation-chicken

https://www.thepetitecook.com/coronation-chicken/

Hmm. Interesting. I have some frozen chicken, perhaps I'll give that a go for lunch some time this week.

But I'm pretty sure the Daughter won't touch it because of the mayonnaise and the sultanas.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab