Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR Card = National Identity Card?  (Read 1050 times)

• Liked: 3
ILR Card = National Identity Card?
« on: February 03, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
Hey everyone!

Finally getting around to applying for UK Citizenship after 1+ years w/ ILR (I'm American, still married to my lovely British husband). Filling out the application atm, and just want to be clear: my ILR residence permit is the same as my national identity card? The application is asking for a national identity card.

Thank you,
Ali

• Liked: 6110
Re: ILR Card = National Identity Card?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
Hey everyone!

Finally getting around to applying for UK Citizenship after 1+ years w/ ILR (I'm American, still married to my lovely British husband). Filling out the application atm, and just want to be clear: my ILR residence permit is the same as my national identity card? The application is asking for a national identity card.

Thank you,
Ali

The BRP is not a national identity card.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
What counts as a national identity card, then? My UK drivers license? I don't think I have one, otherwise.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »
What counts as a national identity card, then? My UK drivers license? I don't think I have one, otherwise.

No, the UK doesn't have one.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »

No, you don't have one... and you aren't supposed to have one.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 03:57:33 PM »
Ok, great. And my US passport doesn't count as a national identity card either, right? THANK YOU!

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
Ok, great. And my US passport doesn't count as a national identity card either, right? THANK YOU!

No, it doesn't. Nor does your state driving license!

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »

Nope. A national identity card is a card that only certain countries issue and the UK is not one of them.

The US only has a voluntary national identity card: the US Passport Card... so, assuming you don't have one of those, then you do not have a national identity card.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 11:31:32 AM »
Ok Wise and Illustrious People who Know Everything About Visas, one more quick question. In terms of referees I provide, must they be licensed professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants etc.) or just normal people of good standing/ character, no professional license required? TY!

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 11:39:24 AM »
Ok Wise and Illustrious People who Know Everything About Visas, one more quick question. In terms of referees I provide, must they be licensed professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants etc.) or just normal people of good standing/ character, no professional license required? TY!

For the referees:

1) One must be a UK citizen, over the age of 25, who has known you for at least 3 years (does not need to be of professional standing)

2) The second can be of any nationality, but must be of professional standing and have known you for 3 years.

There's a list of acceptable professions here (though it's not exhaustive):
https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf

The requirements for referees, from Form AN are:

5.1 One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, eg minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application). The other referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.

Both should declare that:
• they are not a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant;
• they are not employed by the Home Office;
• they have not been convicted of an imprisonable offence (unless that conviction can be disregarded in line with the table shown on page 17 of the Booklet AN);
• they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years;
• they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant;
• they will advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be naturalised.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:41:39 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 08:40:40 PM »
THANK YOU!!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »
Me again: I'm up to the question where they ask if I have made any previous UK immigration applications (including seeking asylum) in the UK or abroad. I have ILR through my spouse, who is British. Does this count as a previous immigration application? Or is this application for citizenship my first immigration application? TY!

ILR Card = National Identity Card?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »
Me again: I'm up to the question where they ask if I have made any previous UK immigration applications (including seeking asylum) in the UK or abroad. I have ILR through my spouse, who is British. Does this count as a previous immigration application? Or is this application for citizenship my first immigration application? TY!

Yes. Every single UK visa you have ever applied for is an immigration application.

So you tick yes, and if it asks you to give details, you list every visa application you have made in the past (fiancé/spousal visa, FLR(M), ILR, Tier 2 work visa, Tier 4 work visa, FLR(O) extension, visitor visa etc... whatever you have applied for in the past).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 12:59:55 PM »
AMAZING! Thank you!

Now, on to documentation. This is what they say is required:

"Proof of living in the UK for xxxxxxx
If you are married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the past 3 years. (Yes, this is me!)

If you are not married, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the past 5 years.

If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.

If you are a Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the relevant 3- or 5-year period.

If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK."

What kind of documentation proof are they looking for if bank statements/ household bills are not suitable proof of living in the UK? 

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »

If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

This is another very good reason to push for the passport stamp on entry even though they say it's not needed any more!

Sorry NYC, this is an ongoing discussion.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab