Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A daunted newbie in need of an action plan..!  (Read 741 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: A daunted newbie in need of an action plan..!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:39 PM »
That's a good point, but I believe that only applies one we are living together as a couple under the same roof. As long as she's still technically resident in Washington, it shouldn't affect my ESA entitlement. Just for the sake of calculations, my total annual income as it stands is around £12,000 after tax.

Good.
You can use the gross amount. What is is before tax?

• Liked: 3589
A daunted newbie in need of an action plan..!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 08:30:58 PM »
That's a good point, but I believe that only applies one we are living together as a couple under the same roof. As long as she's still technically resident in Washington, it shouldn't affect my ESA entitlement. Just for the sake of calculations, my total annual income as it stands is around £12,000 after tax.

Okay, with an income of £12,000 (just realised this is after tax though), the savings amount she would need to show is:
Savings required = £16,000 + [2.5 x (£18,600-£12,000)]
= £16,000 + [2.5 x £6,600]
= £16,000 + £16,500
= £32,500

Though you would need to use your exact annual income BEFORE TAX in place of the £12,000 figure in the calculation above.

Or if she does have at least £62,500, then she can apply using only the savings and there’s no need to mention or provide evidence of your income.

Normally, savings must have been held in full in the bank account for at least 6 months before applying for the visa, however, there’s a provision where the savings come from the sale of a house: as long as she owned her house at the beginning of the 6 months before the visa application date, she can apply as soon as the money is in her bank account without waiting 6 months. She will need to include the house deeds and sale paperwork to show where the money came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
Okay, with an income of £12,000 (just realised this is after tax though), the savings amount she would need to show is:
Savings required = £16,000 + [2.5 x (£18,600-£12,000)]
= £16,000 + [2.5 x £6,600]
= £16,000 + £16,500
= £32,500

Though you would need to use your exact annual income BEFORE TAX in place of the £12,000 figure in the calculation above.

Or if she does have at least £62,500, then she can apply using only the savings and there’s no need to mention or provide evidence of your income.

Normally, savings must have been held in full in the bank account for at least 6 months before applying for the visa, however, there’s a provision where the savings come from the sale of a house: as long as she owned her house at the beginning of the 6 months before the visa application date, she can apply as soon as the money is in her bank account without waiting 6 months. She will need to include the house deeds and sale paperwork to show where the money came from.

Wow, THANK YOU for that, that is incredibly useful to know.. You know, I think this might just be possible after all. Incidentally, my income is exactly the same before & after tax, because I am just under the threshold for income tax on my earnings from my part-time job. We clearly have a lot to talk about tonight, but I'm beginning to see a chink of light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you again!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 09:49:08 PM »
I am not sure but you may find that her money is counted as if it were yours when you marry which is something else to look into if your benefit is means tested.

Her savings *will* affect your benefits.  But if she is one of the lucky ones who is able to get work within their first year of living in the UK, I would suspect it will be okay.

The UK is all about "show us the money" unfortunately when it comes to immigrations. 

Sponsored Links