Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finally going to the States  (Read 876 times)

• Liked: 250
Finally going to the States
« on: February 07, 2020, 08:50:36 AM »
Hey everyone, long time no see :)

My hubby and I are finally making our first trip back to the States since I moved here. I just wanted some insight into what to expect at the airports. Right now I'm still a US citizen with a BRP and he's a British citizen. So when we enter the US are we supposed to separate at the border? Or can we go in the same "US" line together since we are married? Again, he's not a US citizen.

When we return to the UK same question? Can I go with him into the "UK" line? How has this changed with the brexit stuff since 31 jan? Has it changed at all? Or do I need to go into a different line when we re enter the UK?

Sorry for the 100 questions. Thanks :)

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 3589
Re: Finally going to the States
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »
My hubby and I are finally making our first trip back to the States since I moved here. I just wanted some insight into what to expect at the airports. Right now I'm still a US citizen with a BRP and he's a British citizen. So when we enter the US are we supposed to separate at the border? Or can we go in the same "US" line together since we are married? Again, he's not a US citizen.

When we return to the UK same question? Can I go with him into the "UK" line? How has this changed with the brexit stuff since 31 jan? Has it changed at all? Or do I need to go into a different line when we re enter the UK?

You should always go through immigration together in the same line, both when arriving in the US and landing in the UK.. the only question is which line.

You should be able to both go through the US citizen line when you get to the US, but if in doubt, ask one of the airport staff in the immigration hall.

When you get back to the UK, you are both eligible to use the e-gates (US citizens can now use the e-gates to enter the UK), so I believe you just both enter the UK that way.

Regarding Brexit, I don't believe anything will change until the end of the transition period (31st Dec 2020), but even if it did, it shouldn't affect either of you because he is British and you are not an EEA citizen... so nothing should change for you, even after the transition period.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:57:19 AM »
Fantastic! Thanks ksand :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:03:19 AM »
Have a great trip!  :)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »
Oh that's interesting! I have been wondering the same thing for our future trips.  I have global entry, so would I have to wait in line with my British hubby when we come back into the states?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 05:35:51 PM »
Oh that's interesting! I have been wondering the same thing for our future trips.  I have global entry, so would I have to wait in line with my British hubby when we come back into the states?

Yup!  They want you to remain together. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
Agree with ksand but would actually say don't bother asking airport staff. Just go into the US line rogether :) my experience is that airport staff tend to have no clue about this type of thing and will try to separate you.

My first time back, we asked airport staff who told us we needed to separate and when i got to the actual desk, i got told off for separating and told in future to just go in together and we've done it ever since :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 07:05:08 PM »
Agree with ksand but would actually say don't bother asking airport staff. Just go into the US line rogether :) my experience is that airport staff tend to have no clue about this type of thing and will try to separate you.

This!  Don’t ask as they don’t know, but will pretend they do.  Just walk with purpose and take him through the US line!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!! I'm so excited to to back home for a little while :)

Sponsored Links