Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Best way to post tax forms to the US?  (Read 1751 times)

• Liked: 3
Best way to post tax forms to the US?
« on: February 07, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
Hi, I'm filling my taxes from the UK for the first time. I only worked in the US in 2019 so it's not too complicated. My new husband is English, so I am doing married filing separately. I have left the space for the spouse's SSN blank and will write in "NRA" after I print it out. My question is: what is the best way to send the paper return to the IRS so I can be sure they get it? Thank you.

• Liked: 676
Re: Best way to post tax forms to the US?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
Fedex/DHL/UPS. Just not the post. The UK post is fine, but once it hits the USA post in New York strange things can happen.... ::)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »
Fedex/DHL/UPS. Just not the post. The UK post is fine, but once it hits the USA post in New York strange things can happen.... ::)

I couldn’t agree more.

Last year I used the Post Office with tracking for both my Federal and State tax returns and when it arrived in the USA I signed up for email alerts each time it moved. In both cases it arrived in the USA next day then spent WEEKS moving through the USPS system. Sometimes I got an email saying that it had moved from one place in a sorting office to another location in the same sorting office. With my State return I never got confirmation that it had been delivered, the last place on the tracking record was the city where the State IRS was located. Fortunately my refund  eventually appeared in my bank so I knew the return had actually been delivered.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
I couldn’t agree more.

+1

I mailed local tax return Jan 30 this year from UK. Arrived in USPS system NY Jan 31. Only had to get the PA and so far it's been in and out of 8 different stops. Still not delivered but at least I know it's being looked after. 🤔

• Liked: 111
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
I've always mailed my returns to the US. For the last number of years I've used FedEx. Initiate the tracking on the FedEx site with your dispatch number and the site will give you a copy of exactly when the package was delivered to the IRS site along with the name of the IRS person signing the receipt. Service is next day from where I live. I post at 10:00AM and by 16:00PM the next day I have confirmation of delivery. I use the local MAILBOXESETC shop. Last year the cost was £44.84.

• Liked: 45
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:07:08 PM »
Why don't you e-file. I used TaxAct and there is a field that says something like, my spouse is a NRA and has no SSN/ITIN.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »
We used FedEx last year, did not use priority/overnight, but the 3 day service. It took about a week to ten days, if memory serves, to get to Austin from Glasgow. Some of the delay was particularly vile weather in Indianapolis, the FedEx hub.

I don't e-file because I'm taking advantage of the exclusion of social security from US taxes. There is no way to put that into the appropriate boxes (instructions are to write "per US/UK tax treaty Article 17.3" it on the line next to the box stating zero taxable ss) on any of the free online services I've seen.  That, of course, may not be an issue for the OP.

I'm also not keen on paying more to a service to e-file than it would cost me to send via FedEx, which eventually does get there.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 10:46:31 PM »
We used FedEx last year, did not use priority/overnight, but the 3 day service. It took about a week to ten days, if memory serves, to get to Austin from Glasgow. Some of the delay was particularly vile weather in Indianapolis, the FedEx hub.

I don't e-file because I'm taking advantage of the exclusion of social security from US taxes. There is no way to put that into the appropriate boxes (instructions are to write "per US/UK tax treaty Article 17.3" it on the line next to the box stating zero taxable ss) on any of the free online services I've seen.  That, of course, may not be an issue for the OP.

I'm also not keen on paying more to a service to e-file than it would cost me to send via FedEx, which eventually does get there.  ;)

The 3 day service sounds good to me.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 08:42:25 AM »
I just use regular mail, and it always gets there without a problem (so far). I use the IRS2Go app to check if it’s been received and the refund status. Today it states that they have received it. I usually get my refund within days of this status. The app will say as soon as  it’s approved and then it goes straight into my account.
I mailed it from the UK on January 29th, so it took about 13 days ( although I haven’t checked the app for a few days, so may have been a bit faster).

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »
I just use regular mail, and it always gets there without a problem (so far). I use the IRS2Go app to check if it’s been received and the refund status. Today it states that they have received it. I usually get my refund within days of this status. The app will say as soon as  it’s approved and then it goes straight into my account.
I mailed it from the UK on January 29th, so it took about 13 days ( although I haven’t checked the app for a few days, so may have been a bit faster).

Not heard of that app. Just download it now - thanks for the tip.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
You are welcome. I’ve been using the app for a couple of years now and it’s useful for checking up on the refund process, rather than hopefully waiting for it to appear in the bank account.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »
Why don't you e-file. I used TaxAct and there is a field that says something like, my spouse is a NRA and has no SSN/ITIN.

thanks for this tip.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:48:18 PM by maidobound »
Priority Spouse Visa

JAN 7, 2020: submitted online application
JAN 13: biometrics taken
JAN 14: passport and documents sent via UPS
JAN 15: documents received in NY
JAN 16: email stating application received and being reviewed
JAN 30, 2020: email, decision made; 13WD from Bio
JAN 31, 2020: Passport Received! Yes!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 04:58:59 PM »
I had always previously e-filed, but due to changes in circumstances, I can't e-file any longer.
If you FedEx / UPS tax forms (I don't even know if they're open for punters shipping stuff) to the USA, do you need to use a different address than the standard one they tell you to ship it to for overseas returns (which looks like a PO box?)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
I had always previously e-filed, but due to changes in circumstances, I can't e-file any longer.
If you FedEx / UPS tax forms (I don't even know if they're open for punters shipping stuff) to the USA, do you need to use a different address than the standard one they tell you to ship it to for overseas returns (which looks like a PO box?)

Normally, where to file if resident abroad:
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien (including a green card holder) and you live in a foreign country, mail your U.S. tax return to:

Department of the Treasury
 Internal Revenue Service Center
 Austin, TX 73301-0215
 USA

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

Of course, being the IRS, there is a different address given for courier services:
Austin - Internal Revenue Submission Processing Center
 3651 S IH35,
 Austin TX 78741

This is the one I've always used. S IH35 stands for South Interregional Highway 35
https://www.irs.gov/filing/submission-processing-center-street-addresses-for-private-delivery-service-pds

If it's with FEDEX, you may need a telephone number for the delivery site. I use (512)460-7944.

Here are the different courier types covered:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/private-delivery-services-pds

Now, for the important part!

From the IRS: (dated 09 April 2020)
To protect the public and employees, and in compliance with orders of local health authorities around the country, certain IRS services such as live assistance on telephones, processing paper tax returns and responding to correspondence are extremely limited or suspended until further notice. All Taxpayer Assistance Centers remain temporarily closed as are many volunteer tax preparation sites until further notice.

Paper Tax Returns: All taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider or IRS Free File if possible. The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. This year, more than 90% of taxpayers have filed electronically.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-urges-taxpayers-to-use-electronic-options-outlines-online-assistance

It's a bit of a question as to whether they are in fact still accepting returns, but only not processing them.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:18:31 PM by theOAP »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 02:24:47 PM »
Thank you!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links