Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: provisional application jitters  (Read 836 times)

• Liked: 0
provisional application jitters
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »
I've been resident in the UK since Sept 2018, but put off learning to drive here (when I first moved I lived in Peckham and now we live further out).
Probably just my anxiety acting up but I sent off my DVLA application with my BRP this week and have been told it will take at least 3 weeks to found out the results and get my BRP back... I'm really nervous about it getting lost and having to fork over the £ to have it replaced.
I always assumed there were DVLA offices here like American DMVs, but obviously not.
Anyone have some positive outcomes to put my mind at rest?  :P
Met my now-husband on a year abroad in 2015
Married November 2019 and on 1st FLRM until June 2022

• Liked: 3595
Re: provisional application jitters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »
Don't worry :).Everyone here on the forum who has applied for a provisional licence (which is most people) has had to send off their BRP and I don't recall anyone's BRP getting lost before.

Don't forget that when you get your provisional licence, as you have been in the UK for more than 12 months, you will be treated like a learner driver until you get your full UK licence, which means displaying red L plates on the car at all times, and being accompanied in the car at all times by someone over 21 who has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
Yes, what ksand24 said. We've all (with UK licenses) done it, and we've all been fine.  I totally, completely understand your anxiety about it,  but it will be okay.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »

Probably just my anxiety acting up but I sent off my DVLA application with my BRP this week and have been told it will take at least 3 weeks to found out the results and get my BRP back... I'm really nervous about it getting lost and having to fork over the £ to have it replaced.

Not sure what you mean by finding out the results? They will just send you a provisional license and return your BRP. That's all there is to it at this stage.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »
Not sure what you mean by finding out the results? They will just send you a provisional license and return your BRP. That's all there is to it at this stage.

I guess I misinterpreted the DVLA site... I read something that if you had been in the UK for *longer* than 12 months your provisional application could be refused. I think I need to trust the experts (aka you lovely folks) on this one!

Thanks for the reassurance!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »
I guess I misinterpreted the DVLA site... I read something that if you had been in the UK for *longer* than 12 months your provisional application could be refused. I think I need to trust the experts (aka you lovely folks) on this one!

Thanks for the reassurance!

If you've been in the UK longer than 12 months, you are no longer permitted to drive on your non-UK driving license.  So if you haven't obtained your UK license yet, you must stop driving.

Other than that, the process for obtaining a UK driving license is this:

- Apply for your provisional license (which you are now doing).  This normally takes a couple of weeks, and is really just a fee-paying exercise.
- Study for your theory test.
- Book and pass your theory test.
- When you are ready to take your practical*, book it and take it.

* Lessons with a driving instructor are recommended.  Even if you've been driving for many years in the US, driving lessons here are a good idea... they're not to teach you how to drive.  They're to teach you how to pass the test, which can be rather challenging.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »
* Lessons with a driving instructor are recommended.  Even if you've been driving for many years in the US, driving lessons here are a good idea... they're not to teach you how to drive.  They're to teach you how to pass the test, which can be rather challenging.

This! 100%.  :)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 08:11:49 PM »
Ditto.

The rules are just enough different here that even if you pore over the books, you'll do better having someone who's a good instructor take you through the test a few times. ;D

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
According to online tracking my licence has been issued!

I'm planning to book lessons soon. There is a RED chain near my home so I'll probably go with them. I know better than to risk my marriage having my husband teach me how to drive stick shift on the other side of the road!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 10:09:15 AM »

I'm planning to book lessons soon. There is a RED chain near my home so I'll probably go with them. I know better than to risk my marriage having my husband teach me how to drive stick shift on the other side of the road!  ;D

Remember, if you don't get on well with the first instructor, keep changing until you do. It's all about getting the right personality match for you.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »

I ended up going with the automatic test, my arms and feet just could not coordinate after driving manual in the US for so many years! But I did try lessons with a manual, and that prepped me for the road test.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »
Remember, if you don't get on well with the first instructor, keep changing until you do. It's all about getting the right personality match for you.

I echo this.  In my case, I didn't not get on with my first instructor, exactly, but it was just not a good fit.  It took a while before I tried again (a few years, and a house move), but my second instructor was a much better fit.  I likely would have passed with the first instructor, but the lessons would have been painful.

Sponsored Links