Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flying back to USA  (Read 1039 times)

• Liked: 8
Flying back to USA
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
Hi All, hope we are all well.

Just a quick question to get your thoughts.

My wife is due to fly back to USA (San Francisco) in April for Easter for 2 weeks with her grandparents aged 101 and 95! , but is now considering seeing if she can change her flight to be with them now with all the worry going on around coronavirus and limited flights back to USA.  IVe told her to go back and stay until things calm down even if its 12 months!

Reading some of the blur on US Government web site, it mantions allowing USA Residents back or USA Citizens with close family members.   i am not sure if she is classed as a resident given she lives full time in UK now, obvisouly the later related to US Citizen does apply.

Has anyone on here looked at re-arraging there flights to try to get back to USA soon?

Thanks in advance.

• Liked: 1260
Re: Flying back to USA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »
One thing to be aware of (if i've read correctly- which i may not have as it's early and I'm multitasking), is that if she *is* there for potentially 12 months, this will have the potential to impact her qualifying for next visa (haven't looked at posting history so unsure where you're at at the moment). If she is naturalised or on ILR, it won't necessarily be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »
excellent point, but she may use that to her advantage and tell me she isnt coming back !  :D

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »
Honestly, I’m wondering if it’s a good idea for her to go back at all.

The advice is to stay away from elderly relatives at the moment, to protect them and avoid accidentally passing on the virus to them, so it seems counterintuitive to deliberately go there to be with them in the midst of the pandemic.

There have been stories of major crowding at US airports over the weekend with people crammed in with hundreds of other people, who may or may not be infected, waiting for hours to be screened with no access to hand gel or masks... seems like a virus breeding ground!

I would hate for her to go back now, be exposed to the virus on the plane or in the crowds at immigration in the US, and then go to see her vulnerable, elderly relatives, and potentially pass it on to them :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »
This is a difficult situation for many of us, but I agree with ksand's sentiments.  I know it's hard, but it's best if your wife avoids direct contact with her grandparents.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 11:08:31 AM »
she also wants to get back to be with her kids and grandkids,  her argument is and its a good point i think is even if she does not go to her grandparents she is in the right country if anything bad happens to one of them.    She has always said she can get back to America within a day but that promise is currently at risk with the situation at the moment.
She does have flights in Arpril and also May booked for two week visits but understandably she want to get back now.

Anyway lets see hwat happens and hope someone where finds a vaccination for this soon. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab