Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COVID19 - How it's affecting you  (Read 41298 times)

• Liked: 424
Re: COVID19 - How it's affecting you
« Reply #630 on: September 22, 2020, 03:37:24 PM »
Well, can anyone explain why we can meet in a pub or a restaurant but not someone’s house??!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #631 on: September 22, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »
Well, can anyone explain why we can meet in a pub or a restaurant but not someone’s house??!!

#money

• Liked: 718
« Reply #632 on: September 22, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »
Sounds lovely! Enjoy!  :)

It will be quite different from California, which is where we would be right now, visiting our daughter, but we are so looking forward to getting away. We have cancelled 3 booked holidays this year already so were actually watching Boris speaking in parliament (Shock!) this afternoon to get the news of the new restrictions asap.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 149
« Reply #633 on: September 22, 2020, 05:31:57 PM »
Being a really boring person....works well when they start locking things down. I just keep doing what we normally do.
Fred

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #634 on: September 22, 2020, 06:35:14 PM »

It’s because of all those ‘Animal House’ parties you’ve been having Rick  ;) :D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #635 on: September 22, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »

Yup, they must have found out about them...  ;D

• Liked: 424
« Reply #636 on: September 22, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #637 on: September 23, 2020, 08:06:52 AM »

The government would say that pubs and restaurants enforce social distancing, where houses do not always.  I don't necessarily believe it either.   I'm not a fan of the government trying to blame individual people, especially after Dominic Cummings destroyed all their credibility.  The real reason they virus is out of control is because there are not enough tests and no functional community tracing program.  The government is just taking advantage of the British people's love of scapegoating others. 

• Liked: 387
« Reply #638 on: September 23, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
The real reason they virus is out of control is because there are not enough tests and no functional community tracing program.

Despite the name, the "NHS" test and trace program has been outsourced to Serco.  *sigh*

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #639 on: September 23, 2020, 09:21:15 AM »
Despite the name, the "NHS" test and trace program has been outsourced to Serco.  *sigh*

Tories at their finest. All of this is such a disaster.
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #640 on: September 23, 2020, 02:02:37 PM »
I blame the air bridges for holidays for a decent percentage of the increase. That coupled with schools returning. Too many people ignored 2 week isolation in favour of sending their kids back after 6 months home. Just my 2p.

That coupled with Eat Out to Help Out, mixing of lots of people, etc. I don’t think it was necessarily people breaking the rules, though they do claim only 1 in 5 people actually do a proper 2 week isolation when told to.  Sigh.  I fear everyone is OVER IT and no matter what rules they put in place, people’s participation will wain...

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #641 on: September 23, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
Exactly KFDancer. I completely agree with your viewpoint.
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #642 on: September 23, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »
I agree people are over it, but the government encouraging people to go out to eat at sit in restaurants definitely caused an outbreak here in Bracknell so I'm sure it did elsewhere. And then they blame the public for breaking the rules they set. It is telling following the Yougov daily polls, Conservatives in general blame the public for this wave, while other ideologies place the blame either towards the government or neither (because some of it is inevitable). Why didn't they develop a hybrid model for education with some students remote? Especially for the families with at risk parents and kids? It's just mind boggling to me. Mexico managed to make a nationalised system for video classes so even kids without Internet still had access to their lessons, we have tons more resources and just assumed all would be fine and dandy by now.

« Reply #643 on: September 23, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »
Personally, I don’t understand the argument for part remote/part in person learning. I genuinely don’t see how it reduces the risk.

I don’t personally know anyone who wishes school was online. Parents are absolutely allowed to home educate though.  Probably my governors side talking, but I don’t think we can expect individual schools to have the resources to manage those who are in school and those remotely effectively.  My friends in the US with kids are painting horrible experiences with kids trying to learn via computer. And my teacher friends are having a tough time getting students to engage. I’m soooo grateful for in person learning.  Even though she’s only 6, I think my daughter is super grateful for school. She’s been UNBELIEVABLY happy since returning.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #644 on: September 23, 2020, 05:25:03 PM »

Personally, I don’t understand the argument for part remote/part in person learning. I genuinely don’t see how it reduces the risk.

By having fewer people in the rooms at the same time exposed to each other. Covid is spread by aerosols and most school buildings do not have modern ventilation systems exchanging lots of fresh air into the rooms. If they do, the risk is less if everyone is wearing masks, but they aren't in the schools here.

I do think in person education is valuable, as is remote, which would allow continuity when there are inevitable periods of isolation due to positive tests in the classroom/shared spaces. Whether or not a student tolerates remote learning will be super individual but I do know quite a few who have done much better, but I also have a high proportion of disabled people and autistic parents and kids among my friends. Given one of my friends barely surviving covid brought home by her pre-teen son, I don't want to see that repeated across the country many times over in the next few months. The central government should have put a pot of funds available to help schools prepare, especially in deprived areas, because I do agree they are severely underfunded, as are teachers, and in the current system with no help there is very little that can be done.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab