Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Store-cupboard Dinner Ideas  (Read 8340 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Store-cupboard Dinner Ideas
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is beautiful!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 09:44:56 PM »
Will check for you, Margo. I have very limited options as to shops where it might be found in any variety, though, and some aren't open on Sundays. So don't get your hopes up too far.

I have a cartoon image in my head of Indiana Jones holding out a can of spray lysol in front of him, carrying a shopping bag slung over his shoulder, and wearing a surgical mask while schlepping through the jungle of the Glasgow Botanic Gardens in search of the mythical gold box of bread baking yeast... cue the music!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:56:59 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 09:51:53 PM »
You are amazing, thank you! x
Larrabee. Expect a wee surprise delivery in the morning. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 09:55:32 PM »
That's so kind of you!  At the moment I still have some bread left. But honestly, once that's gone I would be so grateful. 

You guys!!! I could cry!

This is day 4 of isolation for us and all I want to do is go out to get just a few more things in, but I know the risk is just not worth it... it's so frustrating.
What else do you need?

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 10:03:09 PM »
Will check for you, Margo. I have very limited options as to shops where it might be found in any variety, though, and some aren't open on Sundays. So don't get your hopes up too far.

I have a cartoon image in my head of Indiana Jones holding out a can of spray lysol in front of him, carrying a shopping bag slung over his shoulder, and wearing a surgical mask while schlepping through the jungle of the Glasgow Botanic Gardens in search of the mythical gold box of bread baking yeast... cue the music!

I definitely don't have my hopes up too much! Just figured I would throw it out into the universe just in case. I don't understand why so much of the yeast here isn't gluten free! But it is what it is. :)

And that's a great image!

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »
Yeah, I have to admit I'm a little confused. Yeast is an organism. There should be no gluten (the protein in flour) involved, should there? Until you add it to the flour?

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 10:12:55 PM »
Yeah, I have to admit I'm a little confused. Yeast is an organism. There should be no gluten (the protein in flour) involved, should there? Until you add it to the flour?
It is gluten free by nature but you know how some companies like to adulturate their stuff. Fresh yeast will always be gluten free though.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 10:13:33 PM »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 10:13:38 PM »
Up until you asked for gluten free yeast, Margo, i genuinely didn't realise yeast had gluten/wasn't gluten free. I learned something new

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2020, 11:31:28 PM »
It is gluten free by nature but you know how some companies like to adulturate their stuff. Fresh yeast will always be gluten free though.

Yep, this is the issue. They add stuff to make it more easily mixed or something. All the brands in the shops I frequented in the US were gluten free, but not over here.

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2020, 10:00:25 AM »
Yep, as expected, no luck. No baking powder, either. Sorry, Margo.

I took a risk and went to Waitrose on Byres Road before it opened and was one of the first through the door. (Not much of a crowd waiting, just a few people.)  It's heavily picked over, but plenty of milk, bread, etc. on the shelves. Cereal, too. Plenty of fresh veg. They had frozen quiches, plenty of teas and coffees - basically pretty much a normal grocery store, with some noticeable empty shelves. Their "free from" section was very well-stocked, just as prior to "all this."  There is a two-item limit to everything in the store.

People shopping looked really freaked out though. They were moving much more quickly than usual.

And unfortunately, they are no longer wiping down the self-checkout after someone uses it and there are no wipes for you to wipe your trolley handle with. I had taken my own woven grocery basket so aside from picking an item off the shelf and putting it in the bag, and when I had to set it on the tillside (where a young child had been allowed to climb and play before I got to the till!!!!) it was relatively sanitary. I used my card to touch everything that needed touching. And then when I got home I wiped everything down when I got it out of my basket, wiped my basket down, wiped my card down, wiped the wipes bag down, wiped the door handles, wiped my keys, then wiped me down. If that doesn't do it, it's fate.  8)

The baking aisle was decimated, though. No flour, no baking powder, no yeast. I just bought a large loaf of Warburtons seeded instead. The guy stocking said they got fresh bread in every night, and they had yeast due in. It should have arrived already but had not, so when they got it later today they'd put it on the shelves right away. So I won't have a shot at it as I'm not going back out again, except for an exercise walk, until we run out of something we can't do without. I still have a little yeast left here and am going to start a yeast mother that hopefully I'll be able to keep alive and it'll give us all we need. If not, I can make tortillas.

It's an absolutely beautiful day out, otherwise. Not too cold, no biting east wind, blue skies, puffy white clouds, daffodils everywhere and the trees starting to bud out.  :) The air is really clean today, too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:13:14 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2020, 10:39:16 AM »
Larrabee. Expect a wee surprise delivery in the morning. 

Tami, you are an angel!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

I can't tell you how grateful I am... we are! Such relief, honestly!

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
Tami, you are an angel!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

I can't tell you how grateful I am... we are! Such relief, honestly!
It is my pleasure. If you need anything else don't hesitate to reach out. We all have your back.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 12:52:26 PM »
Good collection here of easy meals with few ingredients:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/super_easy_recipes

And a few more here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/camping_recipes
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 01:04:13 PM »
Our go-to "What's for dinner?"  "I dunno..." solution is blackened chicken with veg and mashed potatoes.  For the chicken, I have a seasoning mix that I keep in a shaker bottle:

Bam! spice (so named because it's a homemade copycat of Emeril Lagasse's cajun mix):
3.5 parts paprika
2  parts garlic granules/powder
1.5 parts fine salt
1 part onion powder (I use asafoetida due to onion allergy)
1 part cayenne powder
1 part fine ground black pepper
1 part dried oregano
1 part dried thyme

For the blackened chicken, I use kitchen shears to cut chunks of boneless skinless chicken breast into a medium skillet coated with olive oil.  Sprinkle the spice mix on the chicken generously, toss the chicken around to evenly coat it (it should turn a orange-red colour).  Keep turning the chicken to make sure it cooks all the way through.  When you're satisfied that the chicken is cooked through, turn the heat down to medium-low, squeeze enough sriracha on each piece that the tops of them are covered, but it's not dripping down the sides, and then toss the chicken to make sure the sriracha coats every bit.  There will be some on the pan, as well, and this is fine.  Just use your "fish slice" (I always called this a spatula, but whatever your utensil is, use it!) to scrape it up.  The scrapey stuff is delicious.... if you like spicey food, try to put as much of it in your own serving as you can.  Turn the heat down some more, and just keep cooking (and scraping up the scrapey bits!) until the sauce no longer looks wet and it starts to kind of clump on the outside of the chicken.

I simultaneously prepare mashed potatoes, veg from frozen (sweetcorn, peas, and Brussels sprouts), and eveything comes together within about a half-hour of starting.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links