Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Advice on UK spouse visa  (Read 458 times)

• Liked: 0
Advice on UK spouse visa
« on: March 20, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
My American wife and I got married earlier this year. We are currently in the greencard process whilst living in America. We'd like to know about the best way to go about getting my wife a UK spouse visa - should we begin this process while in the States or wait until we are next back in the UK? How do these two options compare in terms of cost and convenience?

Any help would be great!

Many thanks  :)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Advice on UK spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »
My American wife and I got married earlier this year. We are currently in the greencard process whilst living in America. We'd like to know about the best way to go about getting my wife a UK spouse visa - should we begin this process while in the States or wait until we are next back in the UK? How do these two options compare in terms of cost and convenience?

Any help would be great!

You are on the easier, cheaper path already.

The UK spouse visa has to be applied for from by your wife from the US.

The UK requirements are harder to meet financially both in terms of the income threshold (£18,600 or savings of £62,500 or a combination of both) and the cost of the visa itself. And there are 3 of them to be applied for before permanent residency is achieved.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »

Any help would be great!

Where do you intend to live? If you move to the UK, you would have to surrender the green card. If she gets a spouse visa - you both need to be resident in the UK for the vast majority of the next 5 years or so. Plus the UK citizen needs to meet the financial requirements for the initial visa.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 09:33:29 PM »
wow that's a real eye opener. In order to have more 'options' would it be an idea to remain in the USA for 5 years until I have citizenship before considering getting the spouse via? We don't want to necessarily be tied down to one country for good

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »
wow that's a real eye opener. In order to have more 'options' would it be an idea to remain in the USA for 5 years until I have citizenship before considering getting the spouse via? We don't want to necessarily be tied down to one country for good

Yes that is definitely an option - and one my wife and I have also considered, except we plan for her to get UK citizenship before we ever move elsewhere.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 06:45:53 AM »

Really the only way to do it is to commit to the immigration system of one country, obtain citizenship for the immigrant partner, then move to the second country and start over there, if you still want to.

Until you both have citizenship of the other country, you won't be free to come and go as you please.

Sponsored Links