Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No DVSA Testing for 3 months due to virus  (Read 1372 times)

• Liked: 10
No DVSA Testing for 3 months due to virus
« on: March 21, 2020, 01:18:07 PM »
So, I am in a hell of a predicament and my procrastination, combined with Coronavirus outbreak, has really screwed things up!

DVSA has announced that due to Coronavirus, they are suspending all testing for 3 months!

https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

I have been driving on my US license since 25 April last year, so my 1 year limit is coming up end of next month. Anyone else in a similar predicament? Are we banned from driving if past the 1 year grace period? I am guessing insurance on my vehicle will cease to be valid without a valid UK license.

Going to need to make a few phone calls, but figured I would put the information out there re DVSA testing suspension.
Priority Fiancé Visa Online App Submitted: 8 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 13 March 2019
Visa Received: 15 April 2019 (in-person pickup at VFS)
Total: 21 Business Days

FLR(M) approved: 24 September 2019
FLR(M) extended: 24 March 2022

• Liked: 3595
No DVSA Testing for 3 months due to virus
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »
You aren’t banned from driving after April 25th, but your US licence will no longer be valid for you to drive on in the UK and any insurance based on your US licence will become invalid.

Therefore, in order to continue driving you must have a UK provisional licence, with accompanying insurance and you will be treated like a Learner driver.

This means displaying red L plates on the car and no driving alone... you must be accompanied at all times by someone who is over 21 and has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: No DVSA Testing for 3 months due to virus
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 01:29:45 PM »
In order to get the provisional, one needs to pass theory test, correct?

This has also been suspended until 20th of April.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
No, you can get and drive on your provisional license without passing your theory test.

You actually need your provisional license to book your theory test.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »
Doesn’t help, but if you hadn’t already started the process, there is no way you would have had the full license by your 12 month anniversary anyways.

Have you been taking lessons on how to pass the test?

I took first available theory test abs then immediately booked my practical for first available and it took 5 months. The wait lines are real!

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
Holy crap! I had no idea on the wait times. Thanks KF.

It's been on my list of to-do for ages, but all the visa stuff, wedding planning, wife being pregnant, giving birth 2 weeks ago.. now virus stuff. License has just slipped past me. I assumed I could just book a theory test, take a week of lessons to unlearn some bad habits / learn some weird UK rules (emergency brake on, foot off brake pedal at traffic lights.. WTF?). Figured I could get the practical booked in the coming weeks without issues.

Such an absolute pain.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 01:50:02 PM »
Also.. just double checking. I came over on a Fiance Visa 25 April 2019. My full spouse visa was approved 24 September 2019.

I assume that 1 year driving on a US license is from the entry date of 25 April, not when my full spouse visa was granted?

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »

It's been on my list of to-do for ages, but all the visa stuff, wedding planning, wife being pregnant, giving birth 2 weeks ago.. now virus stuff. License has just slipped past me. I assumed I could just book a theory test, take a week of lessons to unlearn some weird UK rules (emergency brake on, foot off brake pedal at traffic lights.. WTF?). Figured I could get the practical booked in the coming weeks without issues.

Such an absolute pain.
Sadly no. This time of year it's at least a month out in quieter areas and several months in busier areas for booking practicals test dates.

For booking theory it's usually a few weeks to a month+.

It's not like the US. When I got my provisional in the US I just walked into the CDOT building, got a number, waited, took the theory test and got my student driving license.

So not like that here. So many hoops. You REALLY need to study for the theory test, the bank of questions is around 500 and there is a second section called Hazard Perception which is quite difficult to experienced drivers.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 01:53:14 PM »
Also.. just double checking. I came over on a Fiance Visa 25 April 2019. My full spouse visa was approved 24 September 2019.

I assume that 1 year driving on a US license is from the entry date of 25 April, not when my full spouse visa was granted?
Yep, from your date of entry into the UK.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 03:10:22 PM »

It's been on my list of to-do for ages, but all the visa stuff, wedding planning, wife being pregnant, giving birth 2 weeks ago.. now virus stuff. License has just slipped past me. I assumed I could just book a theory test, take a week of lessons to unlearn some bad habits / learn some weird UK rules (emergency brake on, foot off brake pedal at traffic lights.. WTF?). Figured I could get the practical booked in the coming weeks without issues.

Such an absolute pain.

Congrats on baby!  What did you have?

They have intensive courses where you do all the lessons in one week. You’ll probably only need 10-12 hours of driving with an instructor.  But you will have to wait for a test to be available, so probably not necessary to do an intensive course.

We haven’t mentioned how expensive this is yet...  that’s the other bit...

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »
Congrats on baby!  What did you have?

They have intensive courses where you do all the lessons in one week. You’ll probably only need 10-12 hours of driving with an instructor.  But you will have to wait for a test to be available, so probably not necessary to do an intensive course.

We haven’t mentioned how expensive this is yet...  that’s the other bit...

Little baby boy Theo! Thanks =)

I am confident in my driving. As I said, there's just a few UK rule quirks to learn. My plan was similar to your suggesting in finding a local instructor to go over the finer points. Hopefully all of this virus stuff blows over quickly.. and safely.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
Little baby boy Theo! Thanks =)

I am confident in my driving. As I said, there's just a few UK rule quirks to learn. My plan was similar to your suggesting in finding a local instructor to go over the finer points. Hopefully all of this virus stuff blows over quickly.. and safely.

Welcome to the world Theo!

We allllll want it to pass quickly,  that’s the one thing everyone on Planet Earth agrees on!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 08:39:58 PM »
I'm in the same situation and just went looking for answers to this very question. I arrived July 10th and had my (third, I've studied a LOT this time) theory test booked for mid-March which was then cancelled. I rescheduled for June 3 and they pushed that back again to June 26. I know there's no way to get my practical done in that time, but I suppose it's out of the question that the government is making exceptions? I mean I drove in the US for 28 years, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter over here at all.
Married : 1/8/2003
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 12/3/2019
Biometrics appointment : 22/3/2019
Documents sent to NY : 22/3/2019
Docs received in Sheffield email : 26/3/2019
Decision made email: 17/6/2019
Visa Decision: YES

• Liked: 957
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 09:00:12 PM »
I'm in the same situation and just went looking for answers to this very question. I arrived July 10th and had my (third, I've studied a LOT this time) theory test booked for mid-March which was then cancelled. I rescheduled for June 3 and they pushed that back again to June 26. I know there's no way to get my practical done in that time, but I suppose it's out of the question that the government is making exceptions? I mean I drove in the US for 28 years, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter over here at all.
Your insurance will likely no longer be valid if you go beyond the 12 months on your US license.

My husband was almost ready for his practical, he never drove before I moved here. Its now been delayed indefinitely because I have no idea how he can safely take those last few lessons and get in enough practice since you also can't supervise learner drivers until you've held your UK license for 3 years.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 09:21:54 PM »
If I can't drive until the pandemic is over, that's one thing. But if my insurance isn't valid a nice time don't have a license, what happens to my car that I park on the street? My wife doesn't have a license and we bought the car with the assumption that I'd get my license in time, but then Covid hit.

I guess calling my insurance company is best, but now I'm concerned that the car will be uninsured on the street until I can get a license. And then when I have to get MOT, and taxed...?
Married : 1/8/2003
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 12/3/2019
Biometrics appointment : 22/3/2019
Documents sent to NY : 22/3/2019
Docs received in Sheffield email : 26/3/2019
Decision made email: 17/6/2019
Visa Decision: YES

Sponsored Links