Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So...how do we get paid (lockdown)  (Read 2002 times)

• Liked: 239
So...how do we get paid (lockdown)
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:33:07 PM »
So now that we're on lockdown and can't leave to work, how do we pay our bills?

I know there's supposed to be the grant to cover 80% of wages but I don't qualify for it, do I? Being here on a spousal visa? Is it considered public funds? I've been working as a dental nurse since September. I work for a private dentist (self employed as she owns the practice)

My husband is a painter/decorator but works for a self employed owner.

We live paycheck to paycheck as it is. How do we survive 3 weeks (minimum) with no income?
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 163
Re: So...how do we get paid (lockdown)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
As it stands, self employed people are left out of the government's efforts to help people make it through COVID-19. All you can do is write to your MP.

https://www.creativeindustriesfederation.com/news/open-letter-temporary-income-protection-fund-self-employed-and-freelancers

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:09 AM »
They will announce more support, I’m sure.  Particularly for the self employed.

My employers won’t even entertain the 80% salary grant.  Nice, eh?  My last day was Friday.  I’m on garden leave for the next few months...

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »

My employers won’t even entertain the 80% salary grant.  Nice, eh?  My last day was Friday.  I’m on garden leave for the next few months...

I hope my work communicates something today. I know things suck for everybody right now  :\\\'(

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »

I hope so - my dad is self-employed and works in schools, so that's his income gone for the rest of the school year (plus he just lost 2-3 months of income with his broken hip earlier this year).

He looked into signing up for Universal Credit, but doesn't even qualify for it, because my mum is still working and their savings are too high.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
I hope so - my dad is self-employed and works in schools, so that's his income gone for the rest of the school year (plus he just lost 2-3 months of income with his broken hip earlier this year).

He looked into signing up for Universal Credit, but doesn't even qualify for it, because my mum is still working and their savings are too high.

Very scary times right now....

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:55:01 AM »
I really hope there's some clarity and further measures announced for you guys sooner rather than later! The obvious solution in my eyes would have been a universal basic income for the period.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »

Wow.  Since the employers aren't obligated to pay the other 20%, it seems like a no-brainer to take the grant.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 01:30:22 PM »
The Chancellor was taking questions in Parliament earlier, they are still working on helping the self employed and also looking at ways to help those on zero hours contracts.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
So... just to clarify. The 80% of salary (paid to employers, so not a public fund) applies to workers furloughed. This includes a change in job contract to include being furloughed. So someone made redundant doesn’t qualify for the grant.

I have no information on how this will be policed. Seems ripe for abuse.

I do know many businesses are also able to extend their various tax deadlines.

Give hmrc a call if concerned.

And if you’re eligible for universal credit, sign up sooner rather than later!!

The covid helpline number at hmrc is: 0845 366 7888. It is not ‘toll free’. No idea why not!

I have no insider knowledge ;) none. We get told a day after everyone else... ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 04:13:51 AM »
The latest for the self employed from Martin Lewis, moneysaving expert.

Try to hold on - the support package will come this week

Without doubt, there's a real feeling of panic growing amongst the UK's self-employed. While there are a number of measures in place, they're simply not enough yet, so we have two points to make.

We have it officially CONFIRMED the Government is working on a further support package and is aiming to announce it this week (some reports it'll be as soon as Wednesday). We don't know what it is, but we can assume it will be very roughly on par with the 80% salary up to £2,500/month for employees. So don't make any drastic decisions until we know.
Measures in place already include: deferring self assessment tax payments; claiming employment support allowance; universal credit - all outlined in this guide.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=24-Mar-20-50599075-3436&utm_campaign=nt-hiya&utm_content=1

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:06:46 AM »
So my question which that information (thank you @larrabee):

If my practice owner gets the grant money, will I still get paid? (Since I'm here on my first spousal visa) It's not considered public funds?

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:57 AM »
So my question which that information (thank you @larrabee):

If my practice owner gets the grant money, will I still get paid? (Since I'm here on my first spousal visa) It's not considered public funds?
No, it’s not public funds. YOU are not claiming anything from the government. It’s your EMPLOYER who will be claiming a grant from the government so that they can continue to pay ALL their employees.

It has nothing to do with your immigration status... you should hopefully still get paid as normal (though perhaps only 80%, depending on what your employer decides to do), it’s just that the money to pay you will be coming from the government instead of revenue from the company.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 06:02:20 AM »
No, it’s not public funds. YOU are not claiming anything from the government. It’s your EMPLOYER who will be claiming a grant from the government so that they can continue to pay ALL their employees.

It has nothing to do with your immigration status... you should hopefully still get paid as normal (though perhaps only 80%, depending on what your employer decides to do), it’s just that the money to pay you will be coming from the government instead of revenue from the company.

Thank you immensely @ksand24! I've been so worried about not being able to make ends meet. Thanks to everyone. Hopefully we are out of this soon.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 07:24:02 AM »
Thank you immensely @ksand24! I've been so worried about not being able to make ends meet. Thanks to everyone. Hopefully we are out of this soon.
Well, at least I assume it is not public funds. There has been no mention made of immigration status in relation to this.

These grants are going to be given to BUSINESSES to help them pay their employees instead of having to let them go.

So whether you continue to get paid or not will depend on the actions your employer takes in regards to applying for and receiving the grant and declaring you a furloughed employee in order for you to be eligible to receive it.

From the gov.uk website:
Furloughed workers
If your employer cannot cover staff costs due to COVID-19, they may be able to access support to continue paying part of your wage, to avoid redundancies.

If your employer intends to access the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, they will discuss with you becoming classified as a furloughed worker. This would mean that you are kept on your employer’s payroll, rather than being laid off.

To qualify for this scheme, you should not undertake work for them while you are furloughed. This will allow your employer to claim a grant of up to 80% of your wage for all employment costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month.

You will remain employed while furloughed. Your employer could choose to fund the differences between this payment and your salary, but does not have to.

If your salary is reduced as a result of these changes, you may be eligible for support through the welfare system, including Universal Credit.

We intend for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to run for at least 3 months from 1 March 2020, but will extend if necessary.

So the only part you wouldn’t be eligible for is the extra help through the welfare system on top of the 80% salary grant, because you are not eligible for Universal Credit (as that IS a public fund).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab