Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Well....poop.  (Read 972 times)

• Liked: 149
Well....poop.
« on: March 30, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »
Got a message from the home office today stating that while I had proof of my cash savings, I didn't submit a declaration of where that money came from. Is there a form to fill out (I've been looking, nothing so far), or do I just type something up/sign it stating that it is savings from work.
Fred

• Liked: 6110
Re: Well....poop.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »
Got a message from the home office today stating that while I had proof of my cash savings, I didn't submit a declaration of where that money came from. Is there a form to fill out (I've been looking, nothing so far), or do I just type something up/sign it stating that it is savings from work.

That's interesting. A declaration of the source of savings has always been a requirement but it used  just to be one of the questions on the paper form so I'm surprised the new online application doesn't provide a field to fill in this information. Is it possible you could have missed it or is it just not there?

I would just type something up and sign it.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks, just in the process. Now if I can just figure out how to scan it and attach it to the email (what the email stated to do).
Fred

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
And now we know they are working on your application which is very good news!  :)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »
Kind of funny.....I also just received yet another email from the Sopra folks telling me my appointment was cancelled and I would have to book a new appointment. I sent in a note after I got back from the appointment on Friday letting them know I HAD gone to the appointment even though they said it was cancelled and things were ok. Obviously, these notes don't seem to actually be read by anybody.
Fred

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 11:58:41 AM »
You can always take a picture of the paper and send that!

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 01:09:35 PM »
You can always take a picture of the paper and send that!
Thanks, that's what I ended up doing. Already approved the ILR within 20 minutes or so of getting that declaration. Kind of silly in a way, but as people keep saying.....it's just a tick list for these folks and I didn't quite tick all the boxes.

Now.....back to the banjo for a while and I think it could be a beer night for me. Say what you want about Steve Martin....the guy plays a mean clawhammer banjo.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:15:15 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 02:02:39 PM »
Congratulations, Fred!  You're done!  Enjoy the banjo!  Have you seen Molly Tuttle?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 02:22:04 PM »
Thanks, that's what I ended up doing. Already approved the ILR within 20 minutes or so of getting that declaration. Kind of silly in a way, but as people keep saying.....it's just a tick list for these folks and I didn't quite tick all the boxes.

Now.....back to the banjo for a while and I think it could be a beer night for me. Say what you want about Steve Martin....the guy plays a mean clawhammer banjo.

Woohoo!  You are done!!

Phatbeetle and I were both supposed to see him two weeks ago at Royal Albert Hall.  We are both very disappointed that the concert had to be cancelled due to the virus (but understandable of course).  No refunds as it's planned to be rescheduled!  Woo hoo!

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »
Congratulations, Fred!  You're done!  Enjoy the banjo!  Have you seen Molly Tuttle?
Just bits off YouTube.....making quite a name for herself lately.
Fred

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
Congratulations F4mandolin!   [smiley=balloon.gif]

You will be going for citizenship next?

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 03:24:41 PM »
Congratulations F4mandolin!   [smiley=balloon.gif]

You will be going for citizenship next?
Still wondering about that. Need to see if there ANY downsides to it. Just getting it seems fine, but I don't want any weird tax "pain in the butt" hitting me.

But just as a side note.....I accidentally sent in the ILR application 2-3 days too early (I'd done my US taxes a few days earlier and I was on a roll). The final verdict came today which was about 10-12 days or so after that 28 day time limit. So....I guess you can get by with doing the online application a little ahead of time...although I wouldn't recommend it.
Fred

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »
Still wondering about that. Need to see if there ANY downsides to it. Just getting it seems fine, but I don't want any weird tax "pain in the butt" hitting me.

But just as a side note.....I accidentally sent in the ILR application 2-3 days too early (I'd done my US taxes a few days earlier and I was on a roll). The final verdict came today which was about 10-12 days or so after that 28 day time limit. So....I guess you can get by with doing the online application a little ahead of time...

The tax disadvantage is all on the US side. The only other that I have ever heard of is some very high security clearance jobs would not be possible with dual citizenship. Other than that, there is nothing but advantage to being a UKC!

although I wouldn't recommend it.

Neither would I !   ;D

• Liked: 718
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
Congratulations F4, another milestone reached.

Now that a British passport is no longer an EU passport then that advantage of easy travel and work anywhere in the EU is gone. While living in the USA we went on a 6 month holiday to Australia and we used our British passport to enter and leave Australia simply because the visa cost less.

Some good friends of ours who we’ve known since the 70’s had an interesting experience last year. The wife is Canadian, has been living here for over 50 years and I didn’t realize she never took up British citizenship. They went to France on holiday but were turned away at check-in because France had changed its rules and Canadians now need an e-visa to travel. They went home, went online and got the ESTA(?) needed and flew next day. Cost them a re-booking fee and lost a day of their holiday.

So, apart from little potential  gotchas I don’t think there is big advantage to getting British citizenship. Although I think having 2 passports gives you licence to kill. At least that is what I understand from watching the Jason Bourne movies.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »
I enjoy being able to VOTE!  Can’t do that without citizenship.

Sponsored Links