Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Life in the UK Test- Study Suggestions  (Read 1667 times)

• Liked: 19
Life in the UK Test- Study Suggestions
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'd love to know all of your favorite study tools for the Life in the UK test.

I've been using the Life In The UK app (app is a little union jack) and it's just a bunch of practice tests, would love to have any suggestions that you found useful. Also, how difficult is the test really?

Just about to book my test, they say they have cancelled all tests up until April 30th and you can book from May 1st onward, but I'm concerned they may extend that date. Has anyone taken the test very recently or was due to take the test but had it cancelled due to Covid?

Thanks everyone!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Life in the UK Test- Study Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
Yes others have had it cancelled.

Best to read the (unbelievably boring) book.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'd love to know all of your favorite study tools for the Life in the UK test.

I've been using the Life In The UK app (app is a little union jack) and it's just a bunch of practice tests, would love to have any suggestions that you found useful. Also, how difficult is the test really?

Just about to book my test, they say they have cancelled all tests up until April 30th and you can book from May 1st onward, but I'm concerned they may extend that date. Has anyone taken the test very recently or was due to take the test but had it cancelled due to Covid?

Thanks everyone!

I used that app almost exclusively, and was consistently getting 23 or 24 correct on every practice test.  Then, a few days before I was booked in, I randomly tried an online test on a website and failed.  There were a lot of questions that the app didn't prepare me for.  So I had a quick skim of the book (also available on that practice test website), and filled in some missing areas.

When I got to the actual test, most of the questions on my test were covered in the app, and I probably would've passed.  But at least one or two were on things that never came in my app practice tests but I just happened to remember from my quick skim of the book.  So, definitely read the material at least once through.  Otherwise, the app is great for getting you close enough.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 08:54:07 PM »
Thank you both so much.

Just wanted to check it was worth the money before I got the book, seems a mix of book and apps sounds a good way forward! Thank you!

Now just fingers crossed they don’t cancel my test at the start of May!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
I had the book, it was....boring. Read the first part of it, took some notes and kind of told myself I'll give it a try with just the online practice tests. Figured if I didn't pass then I would read the book. There are several sites that have tons of practice tests. I was using two of the sites and just took the tests over and over which I found a little more entertaining and more of a game to me. That's all I used.....the lady at the test site wouldn't tell me if I missed any, just that I passed. I might have missed 1 or 2, but I didn't need the book.
Fred

• Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
I did the online tests, but found that you must read the book, as there is material in the book that was on the test but not in the online study material.
So, yes the book is SUPER BORING but worth it.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
That book was the only thing that cured my insomnia when I was pregnant.   ;D

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 08:12:09 PM »
I did the online tests, but found that you must read the book, as there is material in the book that was on the test but not in the online study material.
So, yes the book is SUPER BORING but worth it.

There are several different very up to date sites that have the latest questions.......I am NOT a genius.....the online tests did the job. But.....I can't say that the book is worthless.....go for it if you think that will do the job, just don't do it when you want to go to bed.....unless you are short on sleep.
Fred

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if you want to give yourself the best chance of passing, you'll read the book.

I suggest reading the book once, doing practice tests until you are constantly doing well, then re-reading any particular sections of the book that you find you are not doing well on.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 08:24:53 PM »
Hey....if you want to pass the test spend tons of time reading the book, taking online tests.......over and over. I totally agree with that. The more studying the better. I thought it was a pretty silly easy test. Memorising the book can only help you.
Fred

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »
Personally I only read the history section of the book (it's over 1/3 of the book so perhaps only is the wrong word) and then I took the 54 practice tests at random and any test i failed i randomly beeped back around to it until i had passed all 54 tests. I also did that bit with the practice tests on the same day that I took the test so it was all still fresh. Absolutely smashed the test and it seemed really easy after all that prep.
Country applying from: USA
Type of visa applied for: Fiance visa (priority)
Date application submitted (online): September 10
Date biometrics taken & documents sent: September 15
Date documentation was received by UKBA: September 17
Acknowledgement email & confirmation priority processing has started: September 24
Office location processing your visa: Sheffield
Date of decision email: October 6
Date visa was received: October 8
Moved in December 13
Married March 21, 2015
Applying in Person for FLR(M) April 18, 2014
ILR sometime soonish eek!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
Ladyfoxmcloud makes a good point.  The area that seemed to be lacking in the app was just the history stuff.  So if you are using the app and getting 23 or 24 consistently on practice tests, and you read through the history section, that should be sufficient.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 12:24:41 PM »
Wahooo!  Just passed my life in the UK test.  Already seeing how many Actual British people don't know squat.  Go ahead and ask me how many jurists there are in Scotland!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »
Wahooo!  Just passed my life in the UK test.  Already seeing how many Actual British people don't know squat.  Go ahead and ask me how many jurists there are in Scotland!

Congratulations Jimbo!   [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] Are you reconsidering going for citizenship?

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
Congratulations Jimbo!   [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] Are you reconsidering going for citizenship?
  Thanks Larrabee.  Yes, my wife got a bee in her bonnet about citizenship and says she'll do all the work if I just submit. With all this Brexit junk I can't even keep track of what my status is, so maybe it's time to just get citizenship.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab